Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 11:33 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,494,447 times

Advertisements

We live on rural acreage and have two big dogs which is what a local LEO recommended for security. We have a yard light that comes on at night. I enjoy the dark skies so I wander about in our woods at night to listen to the owls. There is nothing to be afraid of.

However we have neighbors who have moved here from cities and have their whole property lit up like a city is. I don't know what they are afraid of as cities are more frightening to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 11:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,093,928 times
We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and in rural Washington state.

When at our California home I just feel safer.
I know that may sound odd but it’s a nice safe area.

In Washington we are in the sticks and you can’t see our house from the road.
We can’t even see our neighbors.
I have never even seen a police officer on our road.

Being isolated without the ability to really rely on any police help has made us install security systems.
Being in a wilderness type area it is always prudent to be able to protect yourself from 4 legged and 2 legged freaks.
For this dogs and firearms are good insurance policies.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:23 PM

37,501 posts, read 61,499,915 times
IMHO You need two dogs and a firearm.

I am not convinced that outdoor lighting 'benefits' outweigh the 'cons'.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:46 PM

I agree with Submariner.

My thoughts on lights are rather negative.
Lights are great for when you are doing a task.
Not so much for safety.

Dog wise?
Australian cattle dogs aka heelers.

They are the most tenacious dogs ever and I just love them for that.
They don’t look mean or anything but they are hard working animals.
Their only draw backs are is that they shed and are not afraid of anything.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:00 PM

37,501 posts, read 61,499,915 times
A dog needs a companion. Do not have a single dog without a friend.

If you have a firearm that you are proficient with, then you do not want a dog that would attack anything. You just want dogs that will alert to intruders and make lots of noise.

Even a miniature dustmop ankle-biter will do all you need for a dog to do.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:47 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,494,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A dog needs a companion. Do not have a single dog without a friend.

If you have a firearm that you are proficient with, then you do not want a dog that would attack anything. You just want dogs that will alert to intruders and make lots of noise.

Even a miniature dustmop ankle-biter will do all you need for a dog to do.
We have a BIG Standard Poodle and a Poodle cross. They are friendly and are used to people but they both have a loud bark and growl. The Poodle would knock you down. We are also armed.

We camp a lot and I feel much safer when in open range ranch country miles from any settlement than I do in a campground near a city.

Old 03-21-2021, 03:47 PM

A large standard poodle is one of the most underrated dogs that there is.

I currently am wondering about my next dog situation because it is coming soon.

We keep 2 dogs at a time.
We also keep one cat for rodent patrol.
They all like each other.
It is just how that works.

We currently have 2 “chawieners” .
Cross from a dachshund and a chihuahua and one of them will be crossing the rainbow bridge soon.

My son who currently lives with us has a pit bull and while that dog is a charm we just ain’t pit bull people.

I have been “owned” by a heeler before so I kinda like them.

Those labradoodles seem very nice as well.

As one earlier mentioned (just to paraphrase) you don’t need much... just an alarm type dog.
I don’t want anyone to get bit or mauled here at all.

I have been owned by a Newfy as well and love them dearly.
It’s just that Newfie’s and Labradors are water dogs.
Being on the water...the last thing I want is a wet and muddy dog on our carpet

As older adults with no kids we keep several firearms here locked up in easy finger access combo lock containers.

Security systems, dogs, firearms and having a “carry concealed pistol” license is our safety net up here.

On another note,
I see lots of posts here in the rural living section of this website that complain about suburban issues like “they are parking close to me”.

I just shake my head at that.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:17 PM

475 posts, read 409,339 times
We are warming up to the idea of pit bulls. A pair of mixed-breeds (mostly pit) will probably do us fine. They are lovable, loyal pets.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:41 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,981,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post

Who said country folk are scared of liberals? Country folks just don’t like change too much and too many liberals seem hell bent on changing things to what they just moved away from. Nobody understands why, but it just happens.
Somebody always needs an excuse to make it political. Their hope is for discord and their boring OP question won't create that all by itself. Big stinking red herring IMHO.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:00 PM

2,725 posts, read 2,229,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We have a very long driveway.
The other week I installed a “Driveway Alarm”.

It’s a wireless thing that rings a portable doorbell box 3-4 hundred feet away.
I like it because I now know in real time when someone comes down our road for a delivery drop off or to do contract work for us.
It’s pretty cool because I can take the bell thing into my backyard while I am gardening or whatever.

Cost like $15 at Harbor Freight Tools.
Money well spent.

We are also gun and dog people and that 200 foot warning bell is a nice supplement.
This would be something I would want to do. I just did not how dependable they are and how they actually work. Some permanent dusk to dawn lights would help a lot. I know I will have an alarm system even if it just a SimpliSafe system like I had on my last house. I have a camera setup in our motorhome that we use when out and about to check on the dog. Right now there are no phone lines down that section of street. I have not had a hard line phone in over 10 years.

I recently bought a 9MM Carbine recently that I want to get my wife accustomed to using. There is a gun range about 5 miles away from the new house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living