Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 12:48 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times

Advertisements

Uncle Sam took me to a number of places..stateside and overseas. I was happy to come back and settle in a rural part of upstate NY, some 30 miles from where I grew up. That doesn't mean I haven't traveled since...again, both here and outside the U.S. I'm one of those that likes to call a certain area home. And make no apologies for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 06:49 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Uncle Sam took me to a number of places..stateside and overseas. I was happy to come back and settle in a rural part of upstate NY, some 30 miles from where I grew up. That doesn't mean I haven't traveled since...again, both here and outside the U.S. I'm one of those that likes to call a certain area home. And make no apologies for it.
Where I grew up became a tourist destination that has no resemblance to what was important for me. Consider yourself fortunate.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:42 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Where I grew up became a tourist destination that has no resemblance to what was important for me. Consider yourself fortunate.
I lived in Hartville, Ohio from 4th grad until I graduated from college and got a job. When we moved to Hartville, it was an A school in athletics (smallest third in Ohio). After I graduated from high school, it became AAA (largest third in Ohio). The farms have become subdivisions, and the Amish that used to ride in their horse & buggies have moved away. The roads have not kept up with the growth and there is bumper-to-bumper traffic. I have little desire to go back and visit.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
We travelled extensively, lived many different places being military. Considered several places before we retired, including Maui. Settled in upstate NY, 4 acres, one level home, about 10 miles outside of Saratoga Springs. Love the area, far enough from town that we are considered rural, close enough if we want activity and great restaurants. Fantastic neighbors who are a phone call away if I need help.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:47 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Same here. Got so ramped up and bananas that we, along with many other long time and multi generational locals were basically chased out. Big city elites invaded the area and ruined a once quaint, quiet and peaceful farming and fishing community.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 2,508 times
Dear Upstate NY dweller, to some folks, content comes from the constant movement; to others, putting down long lasting roots and building sedentary societies. There are people with a nomadic gene in them, yes. I don't see how a value rating can be assigned to this trait in a free society.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:42 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
We traveled all over the US during our working years- and lived from coast to coast. If we had been retired, we would have stayed in Maine; we fell in love with the state and the people from day one. Alas, I was still needing some employment, and Maine didn't do it for us given the job opportunities in my field. We didn't have the assets to be able to stay there, and at the time we wouldn't have been able to retire there. It took moving to another state to find a job that paid well enough for us to build a 'nest egg'. We considered moving back when it was time to retire, but found enough of the good aspects of Maine here in Michigan to keep us here. Our traveling days are over- and we're happy and comfortable here.

(Which is an interesting thing to say, given that outside it is -8F wind chill right now!)

Old 01-10-2022, 10:18 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
We traveled all over the US during our working years- and lived from coast to coast. If we had been retired, we would have stayed in Maine; we fell in love with the state and the people from day one. Alas, I was still needing some employment, and Maine didn't do it for us given the job opportunities in my field. We didn't have the assets to be able to stay there, and at the time we wouldn't have been able to retire there. It took moving to another state to find a job that paid well enough for us to build a 'nest egg'. We considered moving back when it was time to retire, but found enough of the good aspects of Maine here in Michigan to keep us here. Our traveling days are over- and we're happy and comfortable here.

(Which is an interesting thing to say, given that outside it is -8F wind chill right now!)

Old 01-14-2022, 02:28 PM

50 posts, read 37,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah we’re kicking around the RV thing while we bounce around and figure out where to plant our assess. It’s a thought bubble though. It’s that or rent.
Don’t want to buy again until we know we found the right place. Buying and selling sucks, and the actual moving sucks more. I always say never again, I always say this is the house I die in, but we keep moving lol. This time I mean it lol

Might just keep traveling in RV as well... at least this is a lot more fun than being stuck in one place forever, like all the folks who never tried a thing sweeter than a carrot and wonder "if others ever find contentment".

Old 01-14-2022, 02:30 PM

50 posts, read 37,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
I have posted on the site for a good number of years now. I live in a rural part of upstate NY. I have noticed a trend in this forum and would like to comment on it. Perhaps the experience of a (soon to leave) neighbor prompted this. This couple originally lived on Long Island, then to Florida, next to Vermont, and currently down the road from my farm. As mentioned in a post on the NY forum, I stopped to talk to him as a realtor sign was in front of their property. They moved here almost 4 years ago. New house, pool, horse barn and fencing...etc....Now my understanding is the husband works from home and they are "well funded". When I first met them, they were sure they had found the right place..rural..but not too from all the urban "stuff", 4 seasons, and so on. Well....he now told me this area wasen't exactly what they were searching for. They are now moving to Idaho, which he says has the right "vibe" ( I have come to cringe at that word). If folks can afford to keep moving, the only reason being to find that "right" place..fine..that's their business. But looking at posts from people across the various state sections on here, I wonder if a number of these people will ever be content..wherever they settle, and will probably keep looking for a place that may not even exist.

Perhaps it was a polite way to respond to overly nosy neighbor without saying it like it is that they're tired of Lyme-infested ticks and judgemental yokels. And of NY communist government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living