Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 04:06 PM

302 posts, read 868,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingSage View Post
I just got back from a short trip to Northampton, MA and Brattleboro, VT.

Northampton is NOT liberal, Brattleboro is.

Why? Northampton expresses the separation of wealth that is the antithesis of Liberalism. Rich people with rich homes eating rich dinners, then they vote liberal out of a guilty conditioning. Another Disneyland, just like Carrboro, NC. Everyone still playing for power, all haircuts and no brains. I am waiting for neoliberals to understand that if you are rich you are making someone else poor.

Brattleboro is much more egalitarian, well and egalitarian as you can get under capitalism.

Northampton is an example of how consumerism takes over any new, or dominant, ideology to hawk its wares on consumers. You ride a bike, not because it is right, but because it is cool. (Single speed only please)
Rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 04:38 PM

17 posts, read 56,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
Rubbish.
Well, that is a solid defense. Not a good one, but a solid one.

Why do you think it is liberal?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,478 times
Danville, IL would be a decent town if it weren't for some of the rising gang violence due to this awful economy. Its pretty old and is the home town of Dick Van Dyke and has some decent people if you look for them. I'd pick a newer neighborhood since they tend to be safer. On the liberal side, I'd say they're pretty Democratic. I'm not trying to be racist or stereotypical, but they have a high population of African Americans who tend to be more liberal.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:15 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,738 times
OP- I agree with Burlington. It's my favorite place too, but I can't afford the houses I like so I just visit often.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Lover View Post
I could have written your letter. We're in central Oregon, which is beautiful but far too conservative (how did conservatives get a monopoly on small towns?)

I'm considering a move to the Oregon coast - one of the most beautiful places in the world - but I'm not sure there is any town there where I'd fit in politically. I'm planning to check out Astoria, OR, where I'd have the ocean and an easy, relatively short trip over to Portland when needed. The best of both worlds?
Are you seriously wondering why conservative monopolize small towns? It's easy to understand. Small town people understand that government is where it should be: quiet, unintrusive, and responsive. Small towns are wonderful because people mind their own business, yet when the need arrives, they join together to fight fires, pull cars out of ditches, discipline their neighbors kids, and let neighbors discipline theirs. Small town people don't want the government telling them who they can like, dislike, or not even know.

I am a small town person, I recommend that you move to one. Then listen and learn. You'll be able to get your thoughts in. They'll listen to you. If what you are saying they'll join with you, but if it doesn't make sense, they will just let you be. They won't fight with you, they won't ignore you, but they won't be harsh in disagreeing with you either.

If you are liberal, that's fine with me, too, but instead of condemnation especially before understanding, you just might like the quality of friends you'll make.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Are you seriously wondering why conservative monopolize small towns? It's easy to understand. Small town people understand that government is where it should be: quiet, unintrusive, and responsive. Small towns are wonderful because people mind their own business, yet when the need arrives, they join together to fight fires, pull cars out of ditches, discipline their neighbors kids, and let neighbors discipline theirs. Small town people don't want the government telling them who they can like, dislike, or not even know.

I am a small town person, I recommend that you move to one. Then listen and learn. You'll be able to get your thoughts in. They'll listen to you. If what you are saying they'll join with you, but if it doesn't make sense, they will just let you be. They won't fight with you, they won't ignore you, but they won't be harsh in disagreeing with you either.

If you are liberal, that's fine with me, too, but instead of condemnation especially before understanding, you just might like the quality of friends you'll make.
maybe the OP is like me and grew up in a sweet conservative town with klansmen on the city council and where no black people were allowed in. somehow i don't think that's what you are talking about, but your frame of reference isn't everyone else's.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:50 AM

67 posts, read 185,532 times
Default Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
maybe the OP is like me and grew up in a sweet conservative town with klansmen on the city council and where no black people were allowed in. somehow i don't think that's what you are talking about, but your frame of reference isn't everyone else's.
Don't feed the Trolls. :-)
Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I know for a fact that in many small towns in Texas, people don't "mind their own business". Everyone knows, or tries to know, everything about everyone else. If your lifestyle is unconventional, tongues will wag. Even so, I can think of several I'd like to live in.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
Small town composition varies like anything else across this country just as the people living in small towns vary across the spectrum.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
hahahaha, oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living