Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,143,925 times

Advertisements

Brooks County, Texas, which includes the town of Falfurrias, holds the current record of the most consecutive presidential elections in which the Democrat carried the county. But it's mostly Hispanic, so probably wouldn't meet your expectations. In the 1982 primaries, the Republican candidates didn't get a single vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 PM

780 posts, read 1,346,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

So why is it that all the liberal towns and cities are so expensive to live in? Seems like the more liberal, the more expensive? Like here in Denver it's fairly expensive, even moreso in Boulder.
Liberal towns/cities are usually more educated ( not saying conservative towns are dumb ) but more educated usually means more $ these folks can afford which jacks up the cost of living. I know, it is sad it does, but it's true. This is why most college towns are very expensive to live in.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukertj View Post
I've been on a quest for a liberal small town for much of my adult life--and I'm now 41!! My main complaint is that most liberal places are in states with muggy summers and frigid winters. Are there any liberal places in the Southwest? Any recommendations for small towns in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho, or, lol, Utah??
It's funny you brought up Utah. Park City, UT ( approx 10-12k people and all spread out ) is very liberal. It's quite spendy, but lots of recreation all around it.

Park City, UT has to be one of the most liberal-friendly places in the inter-mountain west.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
I think people here have mentioned Santa Fe and Taos, NM. I'm so pumped - I'm going to visit there in two weeks! But back to your question, is the coast out, as in Left Coast? Northern CA (by that I mean north of San Francisco up the coast) has a number of lovely towns. Arcata and Eureka are my favorites. Eugene OR is quite liberal and relatively small. If I recall correctly, I think I've been told that Corvallis OR is liberal and hip too. At the moment I live in Olympia WA and I was surprised at what a liberal place it is. Much of that springs from Evergreen college which is jam-packed with hippies and other cool people. People are really into the "environmental" thing is seems. I believe the population is 50K-70K. BUT, most of the places that I mention here have that awful, cool/cold, rainy, gray coastal weather nine months out of twelve. Hardly any snow though. Yes, the summers can be glorious, but it's Seasonal-Affective-Disorder time the rest of the year.
No, actually Corvallis, OR is relatively conservative; and especially in comparison with Eugene ( the most liberal spot in the state ) or even Portland. Have 2 friends who attended OSU in Corvallis and they both have told me "the students at OSU were proud to say they were the rednecks when they play the hippies" ( UofO in Eugene ).

In regards to the weather, if the OP is looking for a small, liberal place near a coast, it is gonna be hard to beat the small towns that dot the WA and OR coast lines. You have Vermont in the east, but not really near the coast, and while both the NE and NW have gloomy winters, you usually don't have to shovel the rain :-)

Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,366,396 times
How small do you consider "small town"? I don't think that Park City, UT is really that small, but compared to larger cities then ya... I guess you could say it was small. Salt Lake County as a whole though is fairly liberal (it went blue in the 2008 election). Even then, though, I'm liberal and lived in Cache Valley and didn't have any problems.

I live in North Dakota now and it doesn't matter. Being liberal isn't the only aspect of my personality and honestly unless you bring up politics I find that most people just don't care.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,329,268 times
I grew up in a Liberal family in So CA...Since then I have tried hard to look at "more sides" to the issues we face as a nation today...I am NOT in favor of creating a "nanny state" or in favor of abolishing "gun rights."...I have become more "middle of the road" due to my experiences in life. I wouldn't want to live in a "closed-minded Liberal area" or a "closed-minded Conservative area" either...I enjoy being around people who take time to look at "all sides" before they become totally "set in their ways!" I've spent time with my relatives who live in small towns and in rural areas of Kansas and we've all done great together when we've sat down to discuss issues. Some of my relatives have more of a Liberal slant and others are a bit more Conservative in their views. But we all take the time to listen to each other. I'm really impressed with their common sense and basic respect for other people and other points of view.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I grew up in a Liberal family in So CA...Since then I have tried hard to look at "more sides" to the issues we face as a nation today...I am NOT in favor of creating a "nanny state" or in favor of abolishing "gun rights."...I have become more "middle of the road" due to my experiences in life. I wouldn't want to live in a "closed-minded Liberal area" or a "closed-minded Conservative area" either...I enjoy being around people who take time to look at "all sides" before they become totally "set in their ways!" I've spent time with my relatives who live in small towns and in rural areas of Kansas and we've all done great together when we've sat down to discuss issues. Some of my relatives have more of a Liberal slant and others are a bit more Conservative in their views. But we all take the time to listen to each other. I'm really impressed with their common sense and basic respect for other people and other points of view.
I agree, but the OP is looking for a "liberal town" so apparently, any conservative points of view politically, where they're at now, is not what they're looking for, or where they're at, is currently too conservative for their point of view. Some areas of the country are too conservative or are too liberal for some folks, can't fault them for that, if it isn't for them, it just isn't for them.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 PM

What would a Liberal small town be like? Just curious. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
What would a Liberal small town be like? Just curious. Thanks.
A lot of it would depend on what area one is living in the country too. Try driving through anywhere in the south, or much of the midwest and turn on your car radio and go through some of the AM stations on the radio and see if you notice a difference compared to AM stations on the west and east coasts.

I think most small towns are conservative by nature, but ones in the south or much of the mid-west are much more conservative than say either coast usually tend to be. That is my experience anyway.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
A lot of it would depend on what area one is living in the country too. Try driving through anywhere in the south, or much of the midwest and turn on your car radio and go through some of the AM stations on the radio and see if you notice a difference compared to AM stations on the west and east coasts.

I think most small towns are conservative by nature, but ones in the south or much of the mid-west are much more conservative than say either coast usually tend to be. That is my experience anyway.
Thanks for the info...I live in a somewhat rural area in AZ that used to be pretty Conservative. But it's also a "melting pot" area where people don't usually blurt out their political and religious views in public. The CA housing boom a few years back brought more Liberals into our towns. Some of the new Liberals pushed for "nanny state" kind of laws and ordinances. (Where this used to be more a "live and let live kick-back" kind of area.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living