Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 AM

93,974 posts, read 124,785,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Whenever I look into it, it seems like NY property taxes are out-of-this-world high, like nothing I've ever seen. Upstate in way out-of-the-way places where nobody lives you can find beautiful old Victorians selling for $100K. But when you look closer you find that property taxes are $4K-$5K /year, getting close to what the annual mortgage costs would be. Crazy.
Even with the property tax rates, the cost of housing in Upstate NY is generally lower than most other places and is on par with the South.

Where are these way out of the way places, by the way?

Also, look into places like Oneonta, Hamilton, Oswego, Geneva, Plattsburgh, Canton, Potsdam, Morrisville, Cortland, Geneseo and Fredonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 AM

67 posts, read 185,725 times
Oh, up around Watertown for example. It's out-of-the-way but still close to the lake. Double win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even with the property tax rates, the cost of housing in Upstate NY is generally lower than most other places and is on par with the South.

Where are these way out of the way places, by the way?

Also, look into places like Oneonta, Hamilton, Oswego, Geneva, Plattsburgh, Canton, Potsdam, Morrisville, Cortland, Geneseo and Fredonia.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:32 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,918,245 times
Telluride Colorado.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,768,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
Long thread, but to sum it up, a college town or tourist area will likely be more liberal. There are some communities which could be considered artist colonies.
I would add ski towns too.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 AM

780 posts, read 1,347,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I would add ski towns too.

Yes, definitely. Park City, UT ( pop ~6600 ) and Jackson, WY ( pop ~ 10k ) are perfect examples.

Each of those small towns, are about 70% liberal.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM

93,974 posts, read 124,785,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Oh, up around Watertown for example. It's out-of-the-way but still close to the lake. Double win.
Actually, the Watertown area has seen some growth thanks to Fort Drum and is close to the 1000 Islands and Sackets Harbor.

The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!

VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS

Thousand Islands | 1000 islands | Tourism Info | Images Thousand Islands Region

Fort Drum

As for the other Upstate NY communities mentioned, it can get cold, but it can vary too. For instance, it is sunny and in the high 40's to low 50's today in my area. If anything, it is more about the snow versus freezing temps. Even snowfall averages vary as well.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM

861 posts, read 1,150,238 times
I've seen Austin, Texas listed several times. I live here. I'm a liberal. And I may be the only one left in town. It is "liberal" for Texas but it is still very conservative. I retire in two years and I'm getting out of town as fast as I can. Right now, it looks like Portland Maine is the destination.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:06 PM

37 posts, read 68,204 times
Default Illinois

Any winners in Illinois?

Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,132,516 times
I would also suggest Madison, Wis.

Its not a small town---about 230,000 right now---it does have a small town feel to it.

Madison is a fairly liberal city---Univ of Wisconsin.

Area is pretty with nice lakes ----Lake Mendota.

Getting into the very pretty rolling hills of Wisconsin----a very pretty state.

Negative---tough winters.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:43 AM

67 posts, read 185,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I've seen Austin, Texas listed several times. I live here. I'm a liberal. And I may be the only one left in town. It is "liberal" for Texas but it is still very conservative. I retire in two years and I'm getting out of town as fast as I can. Right now, it looks like Portland Maine is the destination.
I'm sorry to hear that about Austin. I've long heard the buzz about it being a very liberal, very high-tech city, and it seemed very appealing for those two things.
Portland is a wonderful town, I thought about moving there a long time ago after having visited once or twice. They've really fixed up the downtown, and the place has so much history. It had never occurred to me that it was a liberal-leaning place though. I hope you like (or can get used to) the variations of the Baahston accent you'll be surrounded with, and (worse), the Red Sox. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living