Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 11:07 PM

67 posts, read 185,725 times

Advertisements

I have not been to the former but I have been to the latter and it's lovely. Western NC is the last place that I expected to find an artsy/liberal oasis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,604,587 times
I would tend to think a small town in Vermont or the "Iron Range" of Minnesota. It's said Crosby, Minnesota was the first town in America to have a Commuist mayor. Granted that was during the Great Depression.

For moderate I'll give the offhand guess of Central Iowa.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:35 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,604,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I went back to my home state of KS to finish college at KU and loved Lawrence. It's not really a small town -I'd call it a big town or small city, but it has a lot of small town charm. The only place in Kansas I'd ever live.

So why is it that all the liberal towns and cities are so expensive to live in? Seems like the more liberal, the more expensive? Like here in Denver it's fairly expensive, even moreso in Boulder.
This is just a hypothesis. In the case of social liberalism in particular they tend to be disproportionately unmarried, educated, young, and affluent than average. Those groups are a bit more "mobile" than average. So if they hear of a "liberal" city that appeals to them they might go. They might also be more likely to spend when they get there.

There are many highly educated and wealthy conservatives, but they might choose to stay where they are due to family connections or rootedness. Or they might be more frugal. Either way those things may make it where they don't have the same effect on the cost-of-living in conservative towns.

There are many towns of "blue-collar liberals" but they might be relatively moderate to conservative on social issues. Their liberalism being more about things like unions, worker protections, wealth redistribution, social safety-net, and maybe marijuana legalization. Not so much anti-gun, animal rights, or gay rights. (Maybe not against those things, but not as into them)

Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 AM

7 posts, read 19,045 times
There are some in northern california - near redwoods, pacific.
I cannot think of the names right now, but do a search and you'd probably find it.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 405,002 times
Default Burlington, VT compared to ?

I am wanting to explore these places:

Portland, OR Burlington, VT
Asheville, NC Boston, MA Cambridge, MA Northhampton, MA San Francisco, CA Berkely, CA Ann Arbor, MI Ithaca, NY Boulder, CO
and learn about how they compare to where I am living now, which is Burlington, Vermont. I actually LOVE Burlington, VT-- it is full of artists, writers, and musicians and is VERY liberal and progressive. It's also health conscious and there are many intellectual liberals here. Liberals/Libertarians.

How are the above cities similar and different to Burlington, Vermont particularly in weather comparison, cost, gay/lesbian friendly, etc?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,231,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
I am wanting to explore these places:

Portland, OR Burlington, VT
Asheville, NC Boston, MA Cambridge, MA Northhampton, MA San Francisco, CA Berkely, CA Ann Arbor, MI Ithaca, NY Boulder, CO
and learn about how they compare to where I am living now, which is Burlington, Vermont. I actually LOVE Burlington, VT-- it is full of artists, writers, and musicians and is VERY liberal and progressive. It's also health conscious and there are many intellectual liberals here. Liberals/Libertarians.

How are the above cities similar and different to Burlington, Vermont particularly in weather comparison, cost, gay/lesbian friendly, etc?

Thanks!

I doubt any of those cities would fit the description of ---Rural and small town living.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 PM

14 posts, read 72,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
It's rough being a liberal who enjoys small town / country life. I love the political and social climate of the big city, but I can't take the hectic pace all the time.

I know of only two small liberal towns....Oberlin and Yellow Springs in Ohio. However, I'd like to move from Ohio, so I'm trying to find a friendly, progressive small town.

Any suggestions?
I live in Port Townsend and it is indeed a small town and quite liberal. Though there are mucho republicans not far away in Port Ludlow they don't have much of an effect on PT. PT is a beautiful town that actually has some history: nice Victorian atmosphere, a good mix of retirees and working class people. Fairly affluent but no caste system. A nice place to live with lots of recreational ops.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 AM

402 posts, read 854,491 times
Default smh

How do liberals come off to some people as more "accepting"? You never hear people say "I'm moving to town, what's a real Republican area there? I want to live somewhere where I don't encounter anyone of those liberals."

But people say the same thing the other way around all the time. I just don't think of that as being accepting of other cultures/beliefs if you purposely avoid areas where some people may disagree with you ideologically. Its no different than someone saying "I want to find a town who's residents are overwhelmingly white."

Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 AM

67 posts, read 185,725 times
Of course right-wingers (aka "conservatives") seek out non-liberal places to live. Somewhere where they wouldn't find "a lot of those liberals around". I've heard it expressed many times. My own brother moved from Seattle to Spokane, indicating among other things that he wanted to get away from all those "Communist liberals" who populate western Washington. Spokane and eastern Washington in general is very conservative.

Few conservatives who I know would be happy living in a mecca of liberal ideologies. It's not so much an issue of one-on-one interaction with people in such places on the part of anyone I think. I suspect it's mostly a matter of being either subjected to "liberally run" government vs "conservatively run" government. If you go somewhere liberal, there's a good chance you'll be governed by liberal-leaning laws. If you go somewhere conservative, the opposite is true.

Additionally, most people prefer that the "character" of a place offer the sort of amenities that appeal to them. If you like to wear (east) Indian clothes and want places to buy them, then Spokane is not the place to go. If you want cowboy-wear, this is the place to be - many shops. If you want to see Morris dancing, Spokane is not the place to go. If you want to attend school somewhere like "The Experiment in International Living" (real, see google), you won't find something like it in Spokane. And finally, if you like co-op grocery shopping for any number of reasons, until this past year you wouldn't find such a place in Spokane. By the way, our new co-op totally rocks. :-)

As far as your last sentence goes, the the question you state has nothing to do with what the posters in this thread are asking about. Your hypothetical statement is racist which is a whole different attitude from what's expressed here. The people looking for a liberal place to live are not motivated by race, they're motivated (mostly I think) by politics, a desirable cultural "aura" to a place, and the ability to satisfy their particular interests and activities in a place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
How do liberals come off to some people as more "accepting"? You never hear people say "I'm moving to town, what's a real Republican area there? I want to live somewhere where I don't encounter anyone of those liberals."

But people say the same thing the other way around all the time. I just don't think of that as being accepting of other cultures/beliefs if you purposely avoid areas where some people may disagree with you ideologically. Its no different than someone saying "I want to find a town who's residents are overwhelmingly white."

Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,133,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post

You must not spend as much time on C-D as I do.

They usually use phrases such as: "conservative" and "family-friendly" or "church-going". I've read threads where the poster wanted less "diversity" and was specifically looking for home-school groups.

Luckily, the U.S. is a pretty big country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living