Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
So I ran downstairs to the parked car, and I had not locked them in the car - I had left them HANGING IN THE KEY HOLE OUTSIDE THE CAR!
If that was in south car your car would of been gone within 5 mins after you left.

10 mins if you actually locked the car.

15 mins if you had an alarm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
When I was living in Sacramento and going to City College, I hated those park-and-ride lots, particularly the one at Florin and Meadowview RT. I was never a fan of parking my car there. And I still won't recommend anyone to park at any South Sac RT lot.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
particularly the one at Florin and Meadowview RT.
If you park you car at either of these stations don't ever expect to see your car again unless it's in pieces.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I lived at 22nd and I for 6 years, and once my old car was in the shop. So I had a rental car.

I had to park it along the street like everyone else in midtown.

When I awoke to go to work in the morning I could not find the car keys ANYWHERE. I was looking for nearly an hour - then thought I hope I didn't lock them in the rental car!

So I ran downstairs to the parked car, and I had not locked them in the car - I had left them HANGING IN THE KEY HOLE OUTSIDE THE CAR!

And no one stole the car. I never was scared or had mishaps in Midtown. No idea why some people have problems and some don't.
It is possible nobody noticed the keys.

I've experienced a bunch of problems. Multiple car breakins. Things like those cheap sunglasses you buy at ARCO seems to motivate them. Smashed windshield for no reason. In May someone punctured a tire with a BBQ fork. The apartment has been broken into four times in three years. I have to keep the door locked at all times because the trashy people walk up and look for unlocked doors. A few times I forgot to lock the door and someone walked while I was home. I now keep several iron bars in the apartment, and had the opportunity to offer some older skinny black man free dental work if he came back. The guy had to have been about 55. What is the deal with that?

I think every building on the street has been broken into in the last five years, except the house were an eccentric couple live and are always home. There is one other building that is continuously broken into because the doors face the side, not the street. My door is in the back side and difficult to see from the street, which is why I think I've had a lot of problems.

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING outside is subject to theft. When I say anything, I mean it is so ridiculous that half the people on the street have had things like garden hoses stolen. Not to mention cut locks or smashed fences because the scavengers get annoyed when people attempt to lock up the backyard. Most of the time they climb the fence and steal anything they can make a few cents on at the recycling center, like my $100 amateur radio antenna which was up on a mast. Guy wires cut, mast bent beyond use and the neighbouring building suffered collateral damage when the mast struck the window frame when it came down. $50.00 in coaxial cable was taken along with it.

Nobody has a bicycle on the street. It is too hard to keep one and several of the breakins in the past resulted in only the bicycles stolen. What is the obsession with stealing bikes? Anyone? Bikes and car stereos.

I now walk my cameras to and fron the car in a grocery bag. The low income apartments have too many eyes looking for something to do. You would think people with that much free time would get a library card or do something better with their time. It is not just the people in the apartment complex though. I'm very close to the 12th & E light rail station. What a waste of flesh the people hanging out at that station are!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I'll use it once in a while going from the next station south of 12th & I, because, the reality is you are made feel unwelcome at the 12 & E station if you aren't of the trashy black type (I've seen them give civilized looking blacks a hard time at that station too).

Unfortunately, the buzzword for a lot of this kind of thing is "diversity," and the use of the word implies we should tolerate a lot of things/behaviours which would be considered unacceptable outside this fabricated definition of what is diversity.

Although I really like Sacramento overall, I have to throw in that this is the only place I've been where minorities have no problem coming up with racial slurs directed at whites. I've heard it routinely. I've have had it directed toward me in situations as simple as someone who is black thinking I should stand and hold the door open for them when they are 30 ft behind me, then tell me how they feel about a "cracker" not having respect for them. I also have to deal with it coming from a low-income apartment complex across the street from me.
Yes, when I began riding the lightrail, my whole view of the area changed. It was really an eye opener. I remember being so excited to ride thinking of the money I'd save, and just the novelty of riding. After a week I remember feeling less confident about my area. I began to second guess, "am I really in a safe city? Is my area even safe?". There are a lot of flat out criminals that ride that.

I haven't been the target of what you stated above, but I don't doubt that it occurs. Like I said, I think I'm able to avoid some of it because I am a 240 pound guy and I carry myself in a manner that let's those type of people like know I won't be the target of that type of behavior, but I have seen it happen to other people in the references I gave in the prior posts.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:58 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:

I've experienced a bunch of problems. Multiple car breakins. Things like those cheap sunglasses you buy at ARCO seems to motivate them. Smashed windshield for no reason. In May someone punctured a tire with a BBQ fork. The apartment has been broken into four times in three years. I have to keep the door locked at all times because the trashy people walk up and look for unlocked doors. A few times I forgot to lock the door and someone walked while I was home. I now keep several iron bars in the apartment, and had the opportunity to offer some older skinny black man free dental work if he came back. The guy had to have been about 55. What is the deal with that?

I think every building on the street has been broken into in the last five years, except the house were an eccentric couple live and are always home. There is one other building that is continuously broken into because the doors face the side, not the street. My door is in the back side and difficult to see from the street, which is why I think I've had a lot of problems.

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING outside is subject to theft. When I say anything, I mean it is so ridiculous that half the people on the street have had things like garden hoses stolen. Not to mention cut locks or smashed fences because the scavengers get annoyed when people attempt to lock up the backyard. Most of the time they climb the fence and steal anything they can make a few cents on at the recycling center, like my $100 amateur radio antenna which was up on a mast. Guy wires cut, mast bent beyond use and the neighbouring building suffered collateral damage when the mast struck the window frame when it came down. $50.00 in coaxial cable was taken along with it.

Nobody has a bicycle on the street. It is too hard to keep one and several of the breakins in the past resulted in only the bicycles stolen. What is the obsession with stealing bikes? Anyone? Bikes and car stereos.

I now walk my cameras to and fron the car in a grocery bag. The low income apartments have too many eyes looking for something to do. You would think people with that much free time would get a library card or do something better with their time. It is not just the people in the apartment complex though. I'm very close to the 12th & E light rail station. What a waste of flesh the people hanging out at that station are!

You live near 12th and E? Isnt that the alkali flat neighborhood? Thats the worst neighborhood in downtown!

Maybe it will get better if the Yokals in sac county can get the new arena built that area will clean up. But who knows.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
You live near 12th and E? Isnt that the alkali flat neighborhood? Thats the worst neighborhood in downtown!

Maybe it will get better if the Yokals in sac county can get the new arena built that area will clean up. But who knows.
No, don't count on arenas, medical centers, and new college campuses to improve an area. The problem is the element low-income housing attracts, and the low-income housing isn't going a way here.

I think the area between 12th and 16th Sts is worse. I've heard quite a few stories about that area, and I am close enough to 12th St that I can see a few blocks east of 12th, and on E alone I think I see several squad cars with flashing lights at least once a day.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:34 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,538 times
The real ringer you said here is the hose theft. What's with stealing hoses? I've had two stolen. I keep my hoses in the garage now. It's a pain to keep unhooking it and putting in the garage after evertime I use it but it's what I have to.

I've always joked they should change the big water tower from "City of Trees" to "City of Thieves" but I doubt it will happen.

Quote:

Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
I've always joked they should change the big water tower from "City of Trees" to "City of Thieves" but I doubt it will happen.
It stopped being a joke for me when my American flag was stolen from in front of our home. That was the last straw for this veteran!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It stopped being a joke for me when my American flag was stolen from in front of our home. That was the last straw for this veteran!
That's not funny but I'll show you how much it hasn't changed.

I have my American Flag outside almost all year round. It is mounted to the side of the garage like most people. I came home two nights ago and the whole metal mount, pole and flag were ripped down. I thought it might have been the wind. Maybe the delta breeze really kicked up, which it didn't. The 1 1/2" screws I used to mount the bracket were bent down towards the ground. I used wall anchors to ensure this flag mount was staying in place and those were also ripped out ruining the stucco.

I was so pissed that someone would rip down an American flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento