Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times

Advertisements

Interesting, these two cities within the Greater Sac/Bay Area are more alike at 6pm than chilly SF(another Bay Area city) - June 29

Elk Grove (Metro Sacramento) - 86F

St. Helena (Bay Area) - 83F

San Francisco - Wind Chill 52F - wind chill? in the middle of Summer, only in SF, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 12:26 AM

Vegas and Sacramento weather are exactly alike, NOT!

OH, yeah, Everywhere in the Central Valley is the same, NOT!

No matter how you slice you can't deny facts and our perception of Sacramento summer weather deserves this analysis.

11PM, June 29

SAC is 31 degrees COOLER THAN VEGAS in the middle of the summer.
SAC is near 20 degrees COOLER THAN FRESNO in the middle of the summer.

Vegas, 97F

Fresno (Central Valley) 84F
Chico (Central Valley) 83F

Los Angeles 67F
Sacramento 66F
Seattle 65F
Fairfield (Bay Area) - 60F

Thank goodness for that 40 degree difference from high to low in Sacramento

Old 06-30-2016, 08:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
I think the best way to put it is that Sac has better weather than some places but not ideal weather overall. It's hard to generalize places into regions with bad weather such as the "South" or "North" when there are endless microclimates within each region. Overall, for my personal preference, Sac's heat and climate is a bit too dry and the air quality stagnant. Then again I am use to a coastal climate, so maybe natives here do not feel land locked like I do at times. I'd say overall though Sac's weather is pretty good if you can adjust to the heat (I have).

Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM

409 posts, read 484,297 times
I've lived in the Sacramento area, in Lincoln and worked in Roseville. I found the heat unbearable in the summer. I would park my car in the large parking lot at work and it was so hot I frequently wondered if I was going to make it to the building. It felt like when you open an oven door and the heat hits you in the face. It literally felt like my skin was burning the air was so hot.

I now live in Florida, west of Ocala, and find the heat here far more tolerable. I'm one of the few who prefers a humid heat over a dry heat, however. In Florida, we frequently have afternoon showers that cool things off. The overcast sky is a nice respite from the sun, which you don't get in a dry climate.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,647,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
If you put Sacramento and it’s weather in any southern, midwestern, or eastern locale across the USA people would rave about our weather.

Sacramento Summer:
Not nearly as hot as we or others exaggerate. During the last heat wave Sacramento was always cooler than anywhere else in the heat dome except for Coastal Cali and the mountains.

The desert southwest (Phoenix, Vegas,) is on average 20-30 degrees warmer during evening and morning hours and averages 10-20 degrees hotter during the day. The south, texas, florida and southwest bake in high humidity all summer long, and all night long.

Midwest and eastern seaboard cities are really humid during the summer - the daytime highs feel a lot warmer over there than our average summer high temps.

A 90 or 100 degree day in Sac feels more like a 80 or 90 degree in the rest of the humid east and south. So by high temps alone Sacramento appears a lot warmer than it is compared to other places.

Sacramento for the most part has cool summer nights and mornings.

A typical Sacramento Summer day is 90 degrees, dry 20% humidity (feels more like 87), with a very cool morning low of 55 degrees. The actual high temp doesn't represent how comfortable the rest of the evening and night temp will be as we cool quickly in the evening COMPARED to most other places across the USA.
Quite a sales pitch. You could sell a broken clock, being that it's right twice a day . E.g, Sacramento weather is great at 9 A.M. and 9 P.M.
Reality is, a 30/40 degree temperature swing is too extreme in 24 hour period. Not great weather for most folks, IMO.
Carpinteria has great mild weather...
https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...pinteria%2C+CA
Sacramento, not so much...
https://www.wunderground.com/us/ca/s...:94203.1.99999

Old 06-30-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
I've lived in the Sacramento area, in Lincoln and worked in Roseville. I found the heat unbearable in the summer. I would park my car in the large parking lot at work and it was so hot I frequently wondered if I was going to make it to the building. It felt like when you open an oven door and the heat hits you in the face. It literally felt like my skin was burning the air was so hot.
Just as SF is not Walnut Creek still in the larger Bay Area but with 20 degree differences (cooler) on a typical Summer day. Sacramento is not Lincoln, CA still in the larger Sac Metro but with 15 degree differences (cooler) on a typical Summer day.

Within the greater Sac/Bay Area, the climate is the same climate, more alike than different 11 months out of the year. This region has the most microclimates within the summer of any metro in the nation hence the need to talk specific morning night and heat index temps.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,647,718 times
Quote:
Sacramento is not Lincoln, CA still in the larger Sac Metro but with 15 degree differences (cooler) on a typical Summer day.
Lincoln= 104/65 https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:95648.1.99999
Sacto = 101/61 https://www.wunderground.com/us/ca/s...:94203.1.99999

Old 06-30-2016, 02:13 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Yea it cools off when the sun goes down and it is time to go to bed. Or it is cool one the way to work. But you never get to enjoy it, unless you are a slacker with no day job.

Outside of Friday/Saturday evenings, you can't enjoy the weather. The boiling hot (emphasis on boil) weather makes Sacramento just miserable. The indian summer in September will be pushing 110 for Sactown this year!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:56 PM

409 posts, read 484,297 times
Quote:
Just as SF is not Walnut Creek still in the larger Bay Area but with 20 degree differences (cooler) on a typical Summer day. Sacramento is not Lincoln, CA still in the larger Sac Metro but with 15 degree differences (cooler) on a typical Summer day.

Within the greater Sac/Bay Area, the climate is the same climate, more alike than different 11 months out of the year. This region has the most microclimates within the summer of any metro in the nation hence the need to talk specific morning night and heat index temps.
Presently, Walnut Creek is 87 while San Francisco is 62. On the other hand there are only three degrees difference between Sacramento and Lincoln. Sacramento, Roseville and Lincoln are all similarly hot. I find the Sacramento area unbearably hot, Walnut Creek uncomfortably hot and San Francisco is nice and cool most of the time.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:17 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
Presently, Walnut Creek is 87 while San Francisco is 62. On the other hand there are only three degrees difference between Sacramento and Lincoln. Sacramento, Roseville and Lincoln are all similarly hot. I find the Sacramento area unbearably hot, Walnut Creek uncomfortably hot and San Francisco is nice and cool most of the time.
There can be up to a 10 degree difference in Sacramento vs Lincoln especially on days with a strong delta breeze. Plus Sacramento cools off hours before Lincoln does on those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento