Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,493 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I currently live in Sacramento (renting), but I am ready to make my first home purchase with my wife. We are looking at a house in the Sunridge Park area (near Anatolia)- what does everyone think of that area? Also, the house is near powerlines, how dangerous is that? We're in our 20's and are planning to have kids within the next 5 years.

Next question! We got approved for a certain amount, but in order to live comfortably, I am trying to plan out how much we would save; so I need some input on what the bills would look like for owning a home? I know there is water/sewage, SMUD, garbage, etc., but I do not know approximately how much it would be. Can anyone throw out some numbers?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 08:15 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
why do you want to live way out there

Old 01-31-2016, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
why do you want to live way out there
The houses at Sunridge are pretty nice and new for that price, I work off Bradshaw/50...

Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Ignore majin, he is anti-suburb

For many, Rancho Cordova is a very desirable location. Here's some older threads with mixed reviews
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...ing-plant.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...dova-area.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...o-cordova.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...cordova-2.html

There's mixed opinions regarding the power lines. In my opinion, it come downs to resale. I looked at a beautiful home in Folsom with a power line directly behind the house, one of those gigantic ones. I decided that I didn't want that and it seemed that many other people felt the same way as the house took a long time to sell. I'm not sure if there is anything to the health concerns, but I choose to not live that close. I am about 2 streets over from the power lines now.

I'm in Folsom. Our water/sewer/garbage are combined, about $100/month
SMUD is always less than $100 depending on the season.
PG&E - cheap. It's higher in the winter, when SMUD is low, and then low in summer when SMUD is higher, but I've never paid >$100 for SMUD/PG&E.

Good luck

Old 01-31-2016, 10:53 PM

136 posts, read 211,522 times
If you like jet fuel in your water table, Anatolia is a good pick.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:46 AM

6 posts, read 10,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay West View Post
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

AEROJET, need I say more? I wouldn't touch that area, especially with a young growing family. Their water table is tainted. I would worry every time they play in the sprinklers, drink water from the tap, etc.

To the original poster: if you are working with a real estate agent and they did not disclose the water table issue to you, your agent is either unscrupulous or just uninformed (both are reasons to ditch). For similar value, I don't say these words together often; Elk Grove is better.

Regarding powerlines, get an EMF reader and find out for yourself! I have one for this exact purpose! If I'm curious about a property, I usually map out a "safe zone" or distance from which the EMFs are about the same as baseline (no powerlines). Don't just take someone's word for it. "I grew up under powerlines and look at me I'm a genius, I'm trying to sell you a house with jetfuel in your plumbing."

Trivia:
Anatolia is the last community where Lennar/US Home built the very last of their Carter model! The exterior with concrete siding with brick entry is so cute! Did anyone else know this? Nope, because none of you are crack smokers like me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5476...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by hamstertime; 02-01-2016 at 03:12 AM..

Old 02-01-2016, 03:26 AM

6 posts, read 10,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
PG&E - cheap. It's higher in the winter, when SMUD is low, and then low in summer when SMUD is higher, but I've never paid >$100 for SMUD/PG&E.

Good luck
https://www.smud.org/en/residential/...comparison.htm

PG&E is definitely higher, especially when you get into the higher tiers. Many people that moved from SMUD or Roseville Electricity to PG&E have noticed a huge jump in their summertime bills. I know my kWh usage is down but I'm still paying almost an extra $100/month in the summer than when I was with SMUD.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 AM

42 posts, read 80,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay West View Post
Not that I'm pro or anti this area, but your argument is flawed. While it is true the water table is contaminated, the water supplied comes from the vineyard area.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:03 AM

572 posts, read 599,352 times
I don't know the specific area well enough to comment. But I would point out that newer doesn't always mean better. Homes built back in the 1970s and before were actually pretty well built. In fact much better than many of the more modern developments.

As far as bills go...
It does depend on the provider a little and definitely on how much you use heat/AC but plan on ~$150 per month for water/garbage/sewer. Electricity can run high in the summer with the A/C and then gas runs high in the winter with heat. So I'd say ~$150 per month for electric and gas... maybe a bit less in the spring and fall and some months a bit higher in the summer and winter.

Get home owners insurance estimated into your approximated monthly mortgage when you are talking with lenders.

Everything is a monthly cost... you want a security alarm system - add that in. You need a cleaner - add that in. You need a landscaper - add that in. Stuff goes wrong all the time so do set aside some repair money. You can learn to do stuff on your own - but appliances and HVAC stuff is pretty tricky... you might want a home warranty to cover that stuff and that is maybe ~$500 per year, but often the first year gets covered by seller as part of the bargain.

The biggest money suck is damage from water/damp. That's why the roof is so important and good drainage away from foundations.

Maybe going a little too far here - I'll stop.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:09 AM

251 posts, read 376,211 times
Are you currently renting an apartment or a home right now?

I know a family that lives in Sunridge on Borderlands drive that likes it out there. They are actually trying to get their coworkers to buy out there. Sunridge differs as there is no HOA like Anatolia and even though it is Rancho it's in Elk Grove School district. Currently there is only the Walgreens nearby but should be a Raley's coming soon.

And yes there is a disclosure for Rancho Cordova/Gold river in regards to the water. My brokerages looks like this:
GOLD RIVER AND RANCHO CORDOVA WATER QUALITY: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency had determined that groundwater and surface water in the area had been contaminated by manufacturing activities of Aerojet General Corporation and its subsidiaries. The site was placed on the National Priorities List in 1983 to cleanup and monitor the water quality. Buyers are strongly encouraged to carefully review all of the available information about the site, the various clean-up efforts that have been undertaken as well as the reported health studies which are accessible on line at http://yosemite.epa.gov/r9/sfund/r9sfdocw.nsf.

As far as water/sewage/drainage you would be part of Sac county water agency. Smud and Pge really depend on your usage. My pge ranged $10-$20 from May-Oct and $70-100 the other months. Smud $70-90. Aside from those bill don't forget to factor in the cost of maintaining a home. If you currently live in an apartment factor in the cost of appliances (fridge, washer/dryer) if sellers aren't leaving it behind. Are you going to pay for a gardener or are you going to buy a lawnmower? Not to mention you always want to have reserves set aside incase something breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento