Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:05 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
All true and good points. Someone offered to help with the move to Solvang so moving budget is no longer a block.

Having everything close by is important to me. I saw a review of the Fair Oaks place that stated a couple people were beaten and robbed at gunpoint as well as an apartment break in and car's broken into. It was in 2014 so I don't know if the area is still bad or not. It's so discouraging! The places I can afford have some real drawbacks. At least in this area. I'm hoping to visit the apartment complex soon so I can get a sense of safety, what the property looks like etc..... It's about 2-3 miles from the river which would be nice for me.

Solvang would have what I need what not things like Trader Joe's or Target, Costco etc.....

It is a tough position to be in. I've been getting a bit depressed about the whole situation. Especially because of what my life was like prior to getting sick.
Crime is very likely not a issue in Solvang. Hopefully, you can take a look at Fair Oaks apt and surrounding neighborhood in person. Don't like what you see, then just one decision to make......Solvang or take your chances and wait. I know all too well what it is like to have a chronic health condition come knocking at your front door and how it can turn your life upside down.
Another thought, you stated that you are educated...have a PHD. Is there any type of contract work that you could do by telephone and/or on your home computer that could bring in a bit of extra money that perhaps could allow you to stay where are for now, Just a few hours a week of doing something you could be paid for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 08:18 PM

174 posts, read 221,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't understand why you aren't applying for subsidized housing. Many are in great neighborhoods, they have to be inspected to be sure you're in a well-kept place, you can't be kicked out without cause, rents will always be affordable to you (even without Section 8). If you're worried your income or assets are too high, you'd be surprised.
I've been trying to get on Section 8 waitlists. I made it onto one. Lol. The demand is really high but then, being still new to all this, maybe I'm not doing searches correctly. I haven't been lucky enough to get my name drawn in a lottery.

Are there good sites or lists that you know of?

It may be that I'll have to live somewhere less than ideal until I get on section 8 (is that what you mean by subsidized housing?)

Old 04-02-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Crime is very likely not a issue in Solvang. Hopefully, you can take a look at Fair Oaks apt and surrounding neighborhood in person. Don't like what you see, then just one decision to make......Solvang or take your chances and wait. I know all too well what it is like to have a chronic health condition come knocking at your front door and how it can turn your life upside down.
Another thought, you stated that you are educated...have a PHD. Is there any type of contract work that you could do by telephone and/or on your home computer that could bring in a bit of extra money that perhaps could allow you to stay where are for now, Just a few hours a week of doing something you could be paid for
There is the possibility of doing a couple hours work. Once I get settled somewhere I can spend more energy on that. My current living situation is affordable because I decided to live with housemates. They will be finishing building a house in the next few months so will have extra income and won't need a renter.

Crime doesn't seem to be an issue in Solvang. On Monday I plan on going to see the place in Fair Oaks. I've spent today outside hanging out with chickens so I'm not feeling as discouraged.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
I've been trying to get on Section 8 waitlists. I made it onto one. Lol. The demand is really high but then, being still new to all this, maybe I'm not doing searches correctly. I haven't been lucky enough to get my name drawn in a lottery.

Are there good sites or lists that you know of?

It may be that I'll have to live somewhere less than ideal until I get on section 8 (is that what you mean by subsidized housing?)
You can find subsidized housing that's not Section 8. I've sent you links. For instance the place in San Jose I sent you. They usually have lower than market rent, and also accept Section 8. They usually have maximum income. They are usually what's called "tax properties," and get funding from the feds and the state and offer different levels of pricing, based on income, disability, etc.

Figure out where you would like to live, then Google that town and county and "housing authority" and look for their housing list or call them up and ask for one.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:08 PM

Given some new search tools now (links) you can do a marathon search over the next several days to see if something out there could possibility be suitable as a future home. Regarding transportation to view a prospect, if you or your vehicle are not up to taking a drive, search and reach out to the community. There are likely community organizations, such as churches, non profit retired/senior member organizations that can provide help. There are lonely people out there, specially older people, with time on their hands, you would enjoy some company.....Giving you a ride in return for your conversation.....conversation with someone educated.
Twice, I have had someone I never met before, show up where I live to drive me to and from a hair cut appointment, arranged for me by a organization called a San Francisco Village. Both times, I sensed the driver liked my company and I was asked if these was any place else I wanted to go. Now I am hoping once past my current difficulty, to be in the position to give someone in this organization a ride or help in some other way.
Board and Staff - San Francisco Village

The sign in the photo is at a trail head in Marin, this photo was taken in June 2014, drove over there from SF, after dinner on a Friday.....busy week at work. I easily walked rather briskly to and from the last location listed on the sign......hard not to think of maybe not doing that any time soon
Attached Thumbnails
Grass Valley vs Paradise vs Solvang-004.jpg  

Last edited by tikkasf; 04-02-2016 at 09:24 PM..

Old 04-02-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You can find subsidized housing that's not Section 8. I've sent you links. For instance the place in San Jose I sent you. They usually have lower than market rent, and also accept Section 8. They usually have maximum income. They are usually what's called "tax properties," and get funding from the feds and the state and offer different levels of pricing, based on income, disability, etc.

Figure out where you would like to live, then Google that town and county and "housing authority" and look for their housing list or call them up and ask for one.
Great-thank you! I've been applying to the tax credit properties (55+). The apt in Fair Oaks is subsidized (Vintage Woods Senior Apts). And Solvang as well. The only one that wasn't was the one in Paradise.

I'm on waitlists for some also. There was an article in the local paper about the need for more low income senior communities. This area has a high demand and the waitlists are long except for the very large complexes that have some issues (crime, etc).

Old 04-02-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Given some new search tools now (links) you can do a marathon search over the next several days to see if something out there could possibility be suitable as a future home. Regarding transportation to view a prospect, if you or your vehicle are not up to taking a drive, search and reach out to the community. There are likely community organizations, such as churches, non profit retired/senior member organizations that can provide help. There are lonely people out there, specially older people, with time on their hands, you would enjoy some company.....Giving you a ride in return for your conversation.....conversation with someone educated.
Twice, I have had someone I never met before, show up where I live to drive me to and from a hair cut appointment, arranged for me by a organization called a San Francisco Village. Both times, I sensed the driver liked my company and I was asked if these was any place else I wanted to go. Now I am hoping once past my current difficulty, to be in the position to give someone in this organization.
Board and Staff - San Francisco Village
That looks like a great organization. And so needed.

I think a marathon search is in order. I had thought maybe some places would open up this weekend since the weather is getting nice again and maybe people would give notice. The only place so far is the place in Fair Oaks. I'm grateful I have Solvang to fall back on just in case.

I sure hope you are able to get past your current difficulty. It's quite an adjustment having limited mobility, have to reach out to ask for help, and having to depend on people.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 AM

Looks like a "off leash" dog walking park that may not be too far from Fair Oaks apts

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...f620bbd1777e92

Old 04-09-2016, 12:10 PM

You might be able to find something suitable that is not senior housing or section 8.

https://hotpads.com/2624-n-san-joaqu...53560094017095

click on "photos" to see more interior pictures and also click on "street view" to see exterior.

Crime rate in this city is elevated and areas of this city look really run down. There are still some decent neighborhoods and I think this neighborhood is in that category. UOP & Delta college are both located there and there is a decent museum (Hagan Museum). It's one of the older cities in CA. No, it's not like living a core Bay Area City or some place like Solvang or Santa Barbara.....but, in the fore mentioned areas, what are your chances of finding a one bedroom apt, that appears in the photos at least, to be well maintained, for $750 rent ?? A rent that probably fits into your budget

Old 04-09-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
You might be able to find something suitable that is not senior housing or section 8.

https://hotpads.com/2624-n-san-joaqu...53560094017095

click on "photos" to see more interior pictures and also click on "street view" to see exterior.

Crime rate in this city is elevated and areas of this city look really run down. There are still some decent neighborhoods and I think this neighborhood is in that category. UOP & Delta college are both located there and there is a decent museum (Hagan Museum). It's one of the older cities in CA. No, it's not like living a core Bay Area City or some place like Solvang or Santa Barbara.....but, in the fore mentioned areas, what are your chances of finding a one bedroom apt, that appears in the photos at least, to be well maintained, for $750 rent ?? A rent that probably fits into your budget
I have expanded my search beyond the 55+. I ruled out the Stockton area because of the high crime rate. My brother-in-law has to go to business meetings in the area and warned me away from it. The building does look well maintained in that picture and I appreciate the link.

I've decided to move to Solvang (I decided last week). Unfortunately I can't contact them. I left a message then tried calling them daily ever since. The voice mail message is blank and I haven't been able to leave a message since Tuesday because the voice mailbox is full.

I wrote an email to someone at the corporate office Thursday morning but haven't heard anything back.

I'm trying to find out when the building opens. I was told probably mid-April. This was back in March. I said I would wait to give 30 days notice until I had a solid move-in date.

I've been keeping in touch with them so as not to lose my place in case I did decide to move to Solvang. Now I can't get ahold of anyone which is disconcerting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento