Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 AM

478 posts, read 785,179 times

Advertisements

Okay, you were tellin' the truth ... dayum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
Haha, okay! Here's the listing: 1110 5th St NE, Salem, OR 97301 | MLS# 645741

Now, put the address into the Oregon Sex Offender Registry: Oregon Sex Offender Inquiry System (Map)

No we don't have an inordinate amount of sex offenders. Like all cities we have some properties that are "halfway" houses for sex offenders as they transition back into the community. We also have certain parts of town that have higher concentrations due to cost of living and proximity away from schools. Remember that laws require them to live a certain distance from schools. As such they tend to get bunched into certain parts of town.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM

281 posts, read 713,270 times
If you can find another location with a greater concentration of sex offenders I will retract my statement.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
If you can find another location with a greater concentration of sex offenders I will retract my statement.
I did spend about 2 minutes looking things up 1044 W 8th Ave in Eugene has 17 offenders. I'm sure if I could find where their halfway houses are located, I could find a greater concentration as Eugene has a much higher rape rate than Salem does. But alas...I don't have time to google addresses across the country and find an area with a greater concentration. There are 9 address hits with 22 names for that Salem address. There are halfway houses in there. It is what it is. People don't like to think about it but they are all over the country.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 PM

478 posts, read 785,179 times
I looked up my old address in Bend, 2150 NW Hill St, and there were zero within a mile radius. Also zero at my present address in Corvallis.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonYeti View Post
I looked up my old address in Bend, 2150 NW Hill St, and there were zero within a mile radius. Also zero at my present address in Corvallis.
I doubt that Corvallis has a high rate of sex offenders. Most of those rehab houses are in Lebanon or Sweet home. These programs run on minimal funding so inexpensive rental housing is essential. Corvallis is too expensive as is most of Bend.

I'd expect in Deschutes county for them to be in La Pine or Redmond. Cheaper.

You have to remember that once on the registry getting employed is extremely difficult. These folks tend to work minimum wage jobs so that means poorer parts of town. It really is that simple.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Some above said the air is clean in Salem. We know different and were ordered to leave the city by doctors as far back as 1970 when the air pollution rate became too high for my wife to be able to live there any longer.

On the scale of 10 being breathable air, and bad pollution being 1, look at the rating for Salem.

Overall breathable 4

Carbon Monoxide 2.9

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Air is not as bad as LA or Phoenix, but is bad.

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2012 at 07:19 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 37,204 times
Quote:
When we were looking for homes I was THRILLED to find one across the street from a school. I just did the search again... nothing

I did a search for our previous address in Corvallis. There was 1.

I would imagine the higher populations of offenders are close to downtown Eugene as well. I remember Tyker Street being pretty nasty.

I have read more than one article linking the University to the high number of sexual assault cases in Eugene. It is very high there, as is the autho theft.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 AM

281 posts, read 713,270 times
Yes, unfortunately there are many incidents of sexual assault on campus and there are many sex offenders living near downtown, which is one of the main reasons we avoided the area when looking for a house.

On the news last night, there was a quick report about how Oregon only requires 5% of sex offenders to be on the registry compared to 30% in WA, 75% in CA and 100% in ID.

Online search won't display every sex offender in your neighborhood | Local & Regional News for Eugene, Springfield Oregon | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13

Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately there are many incidents of sexual assault on campus and there are many sex offenders living near downtown, which is one of the main reasons we avoided the area when looking for a house.

On the news last night, there was a quick report about how Oregon only requires 5% of sex offenders to be on the registry compared to 30% in WA, 75% in CA and 100% in ID.

Online search won't display every sex offender in your neighborhood | Local & Regional News for Eugene, Springfield Oregon | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13
Yes Oregon only requires those designated as predatory sex offenders to be on the registry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem