Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:21 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
A lack of diversity is not a problem. In France is also not everywhere Paris...
The problem is (if it is) racism. And I red many posts where people talked about racism in the Oregon small towns.
If there is a specific small town you are interested in, you can email that local police department and find out about local racial incidents...if any. It might give you a diving off point anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 09:28 PM

134 posts, read 634,172 times
I want to thank all of you Oregonians for sharing helpful information about the city of Woodburn. Of course, I know none of you guys aren't being negative about Woodburn in your posts; I appreciate all the posts because it helped to paint a picture of Woodburn for me. Because of that, I know Woodburn isn't for me as a place to live; I don't even know Spanish. LOL!

I will be visiting Oregon soon to see if it's really for me plus a campus tour of WOU in Monmouth. I will be visiting several cities including Woodburn on the way to Monmouth in a rented car after my plane lands at Portland Int'l Airport.

I am considering a graduate school in either Oregon or in the Midwest where I am from. I am already very familiar with Northern Illinois outside Chicago but not with Oregon. I decided not to give up on the idea of moving to Oregon without visiting and seeing for myself first. Who knows? I might end Oregon for WOU as my graduate school!

Thanks again,
Mitch

Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,169,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
I want to thank all of you Oregonians for sharing helpful information about the city of Woodburn. Of course, I know none of you guys aren't being negative about Woodburn in your posts; I appreciate all the posts because it helped to paint a picture of Woodburn for me. Because of that, I know Woodburn isn't for me as a place to live; I don't even know Spanish. LOL!

I will be visiting Oregon soon to see if it's really for me plus a campus tour of WOU in Monmouth. I will be visiting several cities including Woodburn on the way to Monmouth in a rented car after my plane lands at Portland Int'l Airport.

I am considering a graduate school in either Oregon or in the Midwest where I am from. I am already very familiar with Northern Illinois outside Chicago but not with Oregon. I decided not to give up on the idea of moving to Oregon without visiting and seeing for myself first. Who knows? I might end Oregon for WOU as my graduate school!

Thanks again,
Mitch
good luck!! I wish you all the best with your search and with school.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 23,047 times
Default Woodburn from inside

I notice that the people voting "no" on Woodburn "never go there" except for the Outlet Mall and Walmart. True, Woodburn isn't pretty. And yes, a high percentage of people speak Spanish. But if you live there, rather than driving through, you find that it is full of friendly people who care about the community, safe neighborhoods with moderately priced housing, and multilingual (English, Spanish and Russian) schools with talented and committed principals and teachers. So don't judge this town just by its "curb appeal."

Old 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,660 times
Right, judge the town by what it is--high crime rate, low graduation rate, high poverty rate compared to other cities its size, high ratio of people who don't speak English which is NOT a plus in an English-speaking nation and state and neighborhoods that have fallen apart from disrepair and poverty. I know; I grew up there and I've seen what it's become.

Are there some nice neighborhoods? Yes. But why move to Woodburn when there are better communities? The string of towns--Hubbard, Woodburn, Gervais--are dumps and ghettoes.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 AM

2 posts, read 11,300 times
Smile re: Woodburn, Oregon

We came here from San Diego three years ago and live on the west side of I-5 and not in Woodburn itself. We like it here. Woodburn is convenient. It is beautiful in many places and ways. We are always meeting nice people here. There are some new homes and apartments and the prices seem reasonable when compared to elsewhere.

For reference, we are older than many, but not as old as some; we are educated, retired Navy, Caucasian, very computer literate, social, not flauntingly religious, not anti-gun; drive an SUV, Ford F150, and high-end motorhome; help raise and educate grandchildren, have a couple small rescue puppies, and so forth.

The negatives: The Woodburn Independent newspaper is very Republican. Its editorial cartoons go first after women, especially political women, then after democrat anything and often crudely. Their opinions about local goings-on can be contrary to ours. But, we don't have to read them or live with them, usually.

The local government makes some strange decisions on traffic solutions.

The Woodburn schools are Mexican oriented, then Russian, then other, and education success seems marginal. Breakfast and lunch are provided. There has been another push to build more schools (read raise taxes), but they don't fully use the ones they have now as there are no double shifts or year-round programs. The bond issue got voted down again, but this is not a dead issue in Woodburn.

Home schooling is a very viable option in Oregon and there are lots of resources and few legal hindrances.

All in all, we are happy here, especially when compared to San Diego's rat race neighborhoods and freeways and lack of water.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:14 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,583 times
Another no vote for Woodburn from someone who lived 30+ years in a town 14 miles east of Woodburn. I also worked in Woodburn for 7 years. Very low school scores, and high crime. I only drove through it on my way to I-5 - there is not much there, and no cute downtown areas like Silverton has (another of my favorites). The suggestions of Newberg, Wilsonville, McMinnville are great. Also, I was curious about Monmouth itself. I've never been there, but heard some nice things about it.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 15,867 times
Used to be nice but it's nothing more then a hole now. Fine if you are driving through to go to the silverton rodeo, or if you like drag racing there is a decent little smalltown style 1/4 mile drag race track. Good enough for a visit but not to live there. Wilsoneville is fine, Tigard is good if you like Chinese food, lots of tasty places there. West Linn is close to the freeway, and at least in the area's I have been is pretty quiet. For Portland, it's hit or miss. Depends on the neighborhoods. If you know the area really well it's possible to avoid 80% of the traffic during rush hour, but don't count on knowing the area that well unless you spend a few months delivering pizza.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 13,079 times
Default What I think of Woodburn

To tell the truth..I LOVE Woodburn.. I moved from Portland to Woodburn with my family about 6 years ago and you couldn't pay me to go back.

No I do not speak Spanish but it has in no way cause me a difficulty we enjoy the cultural differences, not only is there a great number of Hispanics, but "Old Believers" as well. My children have the unique advantage of not only being able to learn Spanish or Russian, but converse in it on a daily basis if they so choose as well as experience the culture first hand.

In 6 years I have yet to run into a rude person, people smile here in Woodburn and as a community they pull together like none other.

After the bombing of the WestCoast Bank last year, I saw a community reach out and hug each other, The children in the schools are very involved and the majority of us are "Woodburn Proud".
If I had to suggest a place to live..It would be Woodburn without a doubt.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 18,876 times
Wow....really?? As someone who has worked in woodburn for years and have many friends who live there, i have to say this is very far from the truth! And like you can see most of us feel the same way, that is for a reason. Sounds like you have pride in where you live, but its very easy to see most who live there don't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem