Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM

27 posts, read 47,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn1 View Post
I am a really bad skier, but I willl!!!! Thanks!!
It'll all change in the PC. BTW, did you get a chance to speak with Ecker Hill middle school yet? How's your impression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 AM

38 posts, read 94,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRULY View Post
It'll all change in the PC. BTW, did you get a chance to speak with Ecker Hill middle school yet? How's your impression?

I did a tour and spoke with the folks at Ecker Hill. My impression, and I am not easily impressed, was that it was a good school. They have a good program for new students entering mid-year. They seem to actually care about the kids. And they are well funded. Not true here in Massachusetts. We send our daughter to private school here. All the specials (art, music, language, PE) were cut here in the public schools, even in the very affluent towns, similar to Park City. And NO school here provides each student with a macbook pro laptop and has a tech support team! And I loved the PE program, the art program, etc. As for the school experience itself, time will tell, but my daughter felt good while touring and that is all that mattered. I am not a dragon mom, my daughter is on the honor roll at her school, but all on her own initiative, we do not hover and push. And she is very arts oriented and I think that the school provides a creative environment that suits her. I just hope she meets some nice friends. That is what makes school fun anyway, friends.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
I did a tour and spoke with the folks at Ecker Hill. My impression, and I am not easily impressed, was that it was a good school. They have a good program for new students entering mid-year. They seem to actually care about the kids. And they are well funded. Not true here in Massachusetts. We send our daughter to private school here. All the specials (art, music, language, PE) were cut here in the public schools, even in the very affluent towns, similar to Park City. And NO school here provides each student with a macbook pro laptop and has a tech support team! And I loved the PE program, the art program, etc. As for the school experience itself, time will tell, but my daughter felt good while touring and that is all that mattered. I am not a dragon mom, my daughter is on the honor roll at her school, but all on her own initiative, we do not hover and push. And she is very arts oriented and I think that the school provides a creative environment that suits her. I just hope she meets some nice friends. That is what makes school fun anyway, friends.
That's so nice to hear! My sister (UtahRoots) taught science at Ecker Hill for years, before going into administration. I'm going to forward this to her, and I'm sure she'll pass it along to the staff at Ecker Hill.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 11,659 times
We have an offer in on a home in Summit Park... fingers crossed. jbn1, what year is your daughter in? Mine is in 6th grade. Macbook pro laptop for all students? I am so excited to be out there!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,977,247 times
....and people say the education system in Utah sucks...

Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
This sounds great! Our daughter is also big in arts and PE. She's going to Parley's now, but all arts and gyms are after school activities... She already told me about Mac as well. PC schools are well funded indeed.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautymountain View Post
We have an offer in on a home in Summit Park... fingers crossed. jbn1, what year is your daughter in? Mine is in 6th grade. Macbook pro laptop for all students? I am so excited to be out there!
Summit park.... buy a snow blower, you'll need it Yeah, they all get macs.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRULY View Post
Summit park.... buy a snow blower, you'll need it Yeah, they all get macs.

We will bring our snowblower. I grew up in Erie PA., the home of lake effect snow. And we had a weekend house in the white mountains of New Hampshire, where we usually had plenty of snow. (The White Mountains don't seem like mountains anymore after being in Utah!)

We actually love snow and snow sports like x-country skiing. This has been a horrible winter in New England. No snow....

I have not heard that the schools in Utah are bad. On the contrary, I have heard great things about Park City schools. And last time I checked, they were in Utah But they say that about Massachusett's schools, Pennsylvania schools and New Hampshire schools as well. All "bad." I am not sure what they mean by "bad." Many, many of these kids go on to do well in life regardless.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Beautymountain:

My daughter will be in 7th grade this year, 8th grade in the fall. Not only do they get macs, they have ski equipment for PE and snowshoes and in-line skates. They don't even have PE classes here in some schools!!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
We actually love snow and snow sports like x-country skiing. This has been a horrible winter in New England. No snow....
Same here. Driest year ever they say. Not much x-country skiing this year.

Quote:
I have not heard that the schools in Utah are bad. On the contrary, I have heard great things about Park City schools. And last time I checked, they were in Utah But they say that about Massachusett's schools, Pennsylvania schools and New Hampshire schools as well. All "bad." I am not sure what they mean by "bad." Many, many of these kids go on to do well in life regardless.
It's all about the choices kids make. You can study in the worst school with street gangs, you name it... and still end up well. I'd say parents play a huge role though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area