Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:33 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,802,361 times

Advertisements

Please check your facts before posting. In Utah, those drinks are 3.2%.

I'm a bit confused here....If you aren't trying to scare anybody, why do you keep posting examples of how people can die from alcohol?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:55 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,526,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Please check your facts before posting. In Utah, those drinks are 3.2%.

I'm a bit confused here....If you aren't trying to scare anybody, why do you keep posting examples of how people can die from alcohol?
You keep losing me on this topic. There are very real dangers associated with alcohol consumption; therefore, people should be advised of the risks involved. Such is not a "scare tactic;" it is common decency and a moral obligation to educate people.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
OK, I stand corrected on the alcohol content of Mike's Hard Lemondae in Utah. I think it is 3.2 here in Colorado as well, b/c it is sold in the grocery stores.

I guess it is a matter of interpretation whether alcohol poinsoning and DUIs are "scary" or not. The fact is, they happen, even with alco-pop consumption, if one drinks too much.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,133,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
The law is the law. It is mandated because more people than you want alcohol controlled in the manner in which it is in this state. It is the same reason you like a pinot when others prefer a merlot.
Sound quite unamerican to me. I thought republicans and conservatives (which many mormons are) want LESS governmnet noseyness so they can, you know, have more FREEDOM?

Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Think not? Look at this:

"Mike's Hard Lemonade" too Easy a Sell to Underage Drinkers (http://www.nclnet.org/pr2800alco.html - broken link)

Here is an excerpt from that site:

"Mike's Hard Lemonade" is a mixture of beer and lemonade. It combines more alcohol than most beers with a sweet drink that is a family favorite, especially for children. It comes in a clear glass bottle that looks like and is promoted as lemonade. The sweet flavor masks the 5.2% alcohol content, making it easy for teens to consume a large quantity of alcohol quickly.
Why aren't the parents watching their kids? Put the bible down and watch what yr 16 yr old is doing.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I stand corrected on the alcohol content of Mike's Hard Lemondae in Utah. I think it is 3.2 here in Colorado as well, b/c it is sold in the grocery stores.

I guess it is a matter of interpretation whether alcohol poinsoning and DUIs are "scary" or not. The fact is, they happen, even with alco-pop consumption, if one drinks too much.

Why do you care what they got drunk on? How about worrying that they drink and drive at all. I bet they sniff glue as well. Planing on outlawing that as well?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
anything that will land me in jail is not part of an enjoyable meal?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Why aren't the parents watching their kids? Put the bible down and watch what yr 16 yr old is doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Why do you care what they got drunk on? How about worrying that they drink and drive at all. I bet they sniff glue as well. Planing on outlawing that as well?
If you read my posts, you will see that I did not, and do not, recommend banning anything. Nor am I a big-time Bible reader, sorry. And I don't have a 16 yr old. My kids, thankfully, did not drink in high school. Nor have either one of them driven after drinking, in high school or later.

I don't care what kids get drunk on, but these flavored beers encourage kids to drink more. Girls, in particular, like the flavored drinks. This was corroborated by my college age daughter.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:11 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,802,361 times
From Wikipedia:

"The Federal Trade Commission again in 2003 investigated FMB ads, product placement, and internal company marketing documents after a directive from the conferees of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees. "The Commission’s investigation found no evidence of targeting underage consumers in the marketing of FMBs. Adults 21 to 29 appear to be the intended target of FMB marketing" ([6], p22) and found that "the majority of FMB drinkers are over the age of 27." ([7] p.5.)

The Federal Trade Commission report states, "Further, industry-conducted research on consumers over the age of 21 who use FMBs shows that these consumers generally view the FMBs as substitutes for beer, ... This research also concludes that consumers are not likely to consume more than two or three FMBs on any occasion because of the products’ sweetness.([6], p5) Therefore, it has been hypothesized that if alcopops became much more popular, heavy drinking would decrease [2].

Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 PM

AMA Says Alcohol Industry Targets Teen Girls

Here is an excerpt:

The American Medical Association (AMA) released the results of two nationwide polls today that reveal the extent of underage consumption and marketing exposure to "alcopops" or so-called "girlie drinks."

Moderator cut: copyright violation

I personally find the AMA has more credibility than Wikipedia. The author cited in the Wikipedia article is a strong advocate of lowering the drinking age, and has very little credibility in alcohol research.

Last edited by Marka; 02-19-2008 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area