Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 02:09 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Salt Lake has always had a high growth rate. But it's not because people are flocking there, it's because of the high birth rate which is right up there with many Third World countries. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people are moving to SLC, but a lot of people move away, too. If it weren't for those huge families in Utah, SLC wouldn't be growing much, if at all.
Is this enterily correct? I know SLC has a high birth rate but surely there are quite a few people moving to SLC??

Thought I'd run this by the SLC people in the Utah forum to get an opinion?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 09:30 AM

494 posts, read 1,897,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Is this enterily correct? I know SLC has a high birth rate but surely there are quite a few people moving to SLC??

Thought I'd run this by the SLC people in the Utah forum to get an opinion?

Thanks.
For the most part it's true. We do get a fair share of Californians that move here for the "affordable" housing (their word, not mine), but the bulk of the growth comes from within.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:15 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm03160 View Post
For the most part it's true. We do get a fair share of Californians that move here for the "affordable" housing (their word, not mine), but the bulk of the growth comes from within.
Then what accounts for the fact that the Mormon population in SLC is slowly decreasing in percentage? There are a lot of people moving in and not just from CA. When I was looking for an apartment landlords were telling me that about half the applicants were from out of state.

But I know they are not flocking in from the Northeast. The typical reaction I get when I tell people I am moving to UT, is "Utah?!, why Utah?" It's pretty funny, I may as well be telling them I'm moving to the moon!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Cinnabon,
Must be something with Jersey, because 14 years ago when we told people we were moving to Utah we got the EXACT same response! My reply was "Sure as hell beats here!"

Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM

702 posts, read 1,983,598 times
I got it from moving from Maryland. People were like are you turning mormon..yeah ok me dont think so...lol

Old 07-20-2008, 04:48 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,165 times
And now after the Olympics, and all this time, it's still just as unknown. People really have no idea what it's about and that it's so beautiful. Only skiers sort of get it. If I said I was moving to Colorado, everyone would understand, but there is widespread ignorance about Utah. And then there are the misconceptions about Mormons, and "Can you even get a drink there?" I think if more people knew about what it's like there would be a lot more coming in, so it's fine with me if it stays undiscovered for a while!

Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
I'm from the East and I have told people we're considering SLC. I have found that people most certainly know it's beautiful, and they do know what it's about. I get reactions like "that's a gorgeous spot, great outdoor activities, but strong LDS influence. How do you feel about that LDS influence with kids?" I think it's a totally fair assessment and question.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,338 times
I got similar reactions when moving to SLC in 2002, in fact I got one from a local once I got here, "You moving here??" LOL. Now, after 6 years I'm moving out.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:10 AM

550 posts, read 2,168,242 times
Although the Mormon rate in the city is decreasing, illegal immigration is increasing. Don't forget to account for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area