Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times

Advertisements

im quite sure AWD has nothing at all to do with your stopping... all cars have brakes on all four wheels lol

VC dreamer, I will get in touch with you in a little while when we actually get up there and can start looking for used cars.. That doesnt sound like a bad deal with the jeep. I would LOVE to get a 4wd vehicle for there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,230,972 times
Great! I would be more than happy to help you out!
I firmly believe, some of the most important things when you move, are finding out the "everyday" things.....like an honest car mechanic.....good dentist.....best restaraunts...etc.
Just DM me whenever you want.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
im quite sure AWD has nothing at all to do with your stopping... all cars have brakes on all four wheels lol

I agree with you. What I wrote was that AWD helps you stop STRAIGHT, NOT FISHTAILING OR SLIDING. How fast or slow you stop is another matter. If you end up in the ditch or hitting someone else, you will be in trouble.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:14 AM

222 posts, read 877,524 times
When I was growing up my mom would always put studded snow tires on our car inthe winter. It seemed to help. I would think you could find tires cheaper once you were actually here and could price compare the different local stores.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
Great! I would be more than happy to help you out!
I firmly believe, some of the most important things when you move, are finding out the "everyday" things.....like an honest car mechanic.....good dentist.....best restaraunts...etc.
Just DM me whenever you want.
thanks very much. That is one thing i was dreading.. Here I have a good set of people I Can trust to work on my cars. I was always really into racing and stuff so I know quite a few people that own car shops and stuff. When I get there, if I cant fix it myself i will have to trust a complete stranger. Which really sucks haha

Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
thanks very much. That is one thing i was dreading.. Here I have a good set of people I Can trust to work on my cars. I was always really into racing and stuff so I know quite a few people that own car shops and stuff. When I get there, if I cant fix it myself i will have to trust a complete stranger. Which really sucks haha
Nah.... I'll hook you up with my Master Mechanic. He's pretty cool. His prices are extremely reasonable, and he's fast.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:40 AM

awesome, thanks... I can do 99% of the things that will need to be done, there are just some things that I wont have the tools for and stuff.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:05 AM

Oh, you're welcome!
I'm a firm believer in networking....and I think it makes relocating so much easier if you have a head's up on things before you get there. Isn't that why C-D is here? LOL
Some things here have been trial and error for me, like trying to find a dental office that I like, but after almost 2 years here, I think I just about have it down....LOL

Old 11-08-2008, 10:33 AM

LOL yeah well that kind of stuff isnt to big of a deal. I dont really have any doctors or anything here I regularly go to. I havent had health insurance for YEARS so if there is a problem I just go to the walk in clinic or something. Thank God I am a pretty healthy person.. My wife hasnt found any good doctors here yet, there all quacks in our opinion lol

Old 11-09-2008, 11:20 AM

273 posts, read 1,246,893 times
Hey Tim,

I have a Mazda 3 (FWD) that came with 17" summer performance tires. I was able to buy new 15" alloy wheels with studless snow tires for less than 17" tires alone. The disk brake size on your RX will limit downsizing the wheels by much but maybe you could a little. Check out Tirerack on the web. The site is very useful for playing with tire / wheel sizes and the prices are very good also.

Outside of that you could do what a lot of northerners do. Buy a winter beater and save your nice RX8 for good weather. Any cheap front wheel drive will do. Just make sure it has snow or decent all season tires on it. The uglier the better...that way you won't feel bad if it sits around all winter covered in salt muck.

Let me weigh in a bit about front/rear/all wheel drive and tires. For me, stopping in bad weather has always been more of a priority than getting stuck. When you are bumper to bumper in rush hour traffic and the roads are covered with snow and ice, not rear-ending the car in front of you becomes your main focus. How fast you launch from the stop light is a minor consideration.

I had a Subaru Outback last year. All wheel drive and AWFUL in the snow. Almost got myself killed the first snowy day when I discovered it COULD NOT STOP thanks to the sport oriented summer tires it came with. I immediately ponied up for good snow tires and the change was 100%. It became a beast in the snow as it should have been. It could stop on a dime in the worst conditions. I have driven two different rear wheel drive BMWs, with and without traction control, here and in Colorado. Each had winter snow tires and they were great in the snow. I have also had various front wheel drive cars over the years with mixed results. But the common factor for me for successfully navigating crappy roads is having snow tires. Studs are not necessary and with the technology advances in today's studless tires, studded tires often perform worse than studless. Front/rear/all wheel drive doesn't make a lick of difference for getting stopped when you need to. Having four good snow tires does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area