Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times

Advertisements

Some posts above were deleted. Making posts like "You said X, so you must be Y" can be considered a personal attack if the other member finds it insulting. Personal attacks are against the TOS, so it is dangerous to draw personal conclusions about other posters.

Stick to discussing the facts or opinions in a post, rather than drawing conclusions about the person who posted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:30 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,445 times
mayalevi, crazy isn't it? Too often they forget that we deal with the same issues...getting to a job, child care/arrangements etc.

Have a great school year - it is fast approaching!!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,306 times
My husband is in law enforcement, as the OP says her family was/is... I understand what can and does happen every day out in the world... And I can sympathize with OP's feelings... I admit that I still drove and dropped off my 8th grader at the bus stop last year... Nobody made fun of her and quite a few of her friends were happy and thankful when I saw them walking and I pulled over and picked them up...

With all that being said however, I had no problem dropping her off early at school either... Her middle school started at 830am... And from 6th grade till the middle of 7th grade I drove her to school... In order to beat traffic we would leave the house at apx 705am... I would drop her off at apx 725am... Yes, she had to wait over an hour for school to start, but she didn't mind at all... She and her friends hung out and talked about middle school drama...

OP... With allll the kids going to that school, I can assure you, without a doubt, that your child will not be the only one being dropped off early... When they say "supervision" they just mean a couple of teachers walking around the courtyard or wherever the kids wait before 1st bell rings... Your child will probably not have to wait at the very front of the school, where he/she is visible to the street... Usually they have the kids go to a courtyard, the cafeteria, if they are in band they can wait in the band hall, etc...

Think of all the parents that work at that school... I am positive that many of them are in the same situation as you are and they have to drop their kids off early at school... When you go to the school for 6th grade orientation find out where the kids who need to be there early wait... Trust me, your child will not be the only one in this situation... Give him/her a cell phone so you can check in with them before you start your day at 745 if it makes you feel better...

Old 07-26-2010, 02:46 PM

184 posts, read 462,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Sdodd, there are after school activities..clubs and such that middle schoolers can join. Usually each club does not meet each day but once a week or every other week. If it's a sport the student has to try out. So there are those options.

Teachers have families too that they need to pick up from school or day care or whereever - or simply go home to a family so it's a realization that they can't be there every day til 6 so everyone else can work. Not trying to be harsh that's just something I find myself facing every year.
First of all i am not talking about the teachers watching the kids before or after school, i am talking about after school programs that are there to watch kids. My question is how come they can have the after school aspect of these programs but not the morning session.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM

sdodd, those afterschool clubs/activities are run by the teachers. they volunteer for those programs. so there is no extra paid staff to do it in the morning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as for the post of dropping off early, at my sons school they do not allow them in the building before 7:45. I have dropped him off early and he has simply waited out front of the school. There has always been other students waiting there with him but there is no staff out there.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,306 times
Quote:
sdodd, those afterschool clubs/activities are run by the teachers. they volunteer for those programs. so there is no extra paid staff to do it in the morning.
as for the post of dropping off early, at my sons school they do not allow them in the building before 7:45. I have dropped him off early and he has simply waited out front of the school. There has always been other students waiting there with him but there is no staff out there.
When my daughter was in 6th grade she was in Orchestra... Although they could not go in the school thru the front doors the back doors, by the band hall, were open and the kids were allowed to go in thru there and go straight into the band hall... The school knew of this and was fine with it... This was at Rudder Middle School...

When we moved my daughter went to Rawlinson for 7th and 8th... This is where the kids were dropped off on the side of the school... All the kids that got there before a certain time, waited in the side courtyard for the doors to be open at 730 or 745 and they all then went thru the side doors, thru the school, and out to the back courtyard to wait... Again, they were not allowed to go thru the front doors of the school... There were always TONS of kids waiting in the side courtyard... Again, the OP's child will NOT be the only one who has to be dropped off early...

Old 07-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Each school is different so the op will have to find out how it works. Front/back/side of school yes there will be other kids waiting.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 AM

184 posts, read 462,095 times
Quote:
ASK (after school kare) is not run by teachers. I know that for a fact.
I am not talking about clubs or groups or so on i am talking about dedicated programs that watch kids after school.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 AM

here is a link. I do not know that it is at every school or how it works but you can check it out:
The Northside Learning Tree (http://carnahanes.nisd.net/LearningTree.html - broken link)

personally I think any middle school aged kid would not be interested in this sort of childcare. I think they would get more out of school clubs and the activities they do.

at some point they need the skills to be on their own. 9th graders get out at 4 pm I believe and there is nothing but after school clubs.............

Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 AM

284 posts, read 1,087,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
Right...the reason being that a child of between the ages of 12 and 14 is more self-sufficient (presumptively) than say, a five year old who may need that kind of hand-holding. I feel for the OP's situation if she truly feels she needs to drop her middle schooler off or risk god-knows-what, but I remember when I was in middle school most kids took care of walking/getting themselves to school on the schoolbus, and were getting to an age where they were getting a tad embarassed to be seen with mom/dad.
My daughter is starting sixth grade in August and she is turning 11 tomorrow. We do not have bus service to any of the schools in our area because we live "too close". The middle school is almost two miles away. We live near the area where Heidi Seeman was abducted at the age of 11. I know it was a while ago and it was on a somewhat deserted road and not on a busy school morning, but I can never get that out of my head. My daughter will not be walking to middle school this year or next year.

My older daughter's private HS halfway across town starts at 8:00, and I do not want my my 6th grader waiting for an hour outside for school to start. Fortunately, we have been here a long time and we have arranged for her to ride with a friend. Hopefully the OP can work something out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio