Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 22,644 times

Advertisements

But seriously, I can see everyone's points about staying out of the left lane if you're going slower than everyone else. What my beef is, and I can't imagine anyone defending this, is going the speed limit in the far right lane and still having people run up on your bumper to get you to move faster. Especially when there are four other lanes. I have received enough speeding tickets in my life and I intentionally travel at the speed limit. If you people get angry at folks doing the speed limit in the passing lane imagine how I feel getting tailgated just for doing the speed limit in the slow lane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 01:06 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
^^^^^ No one wants you to break the law and go over the speed limit, just please do that on the right line.

...and I can't imagine anyone defending this, is going the speed limit in the far right lane and still having people run up on your bumper to get you to move faster.
If you experience that, you might have to move to the next right line...

Old 08-22-2010, 01:08 PM

135 posts, read 550,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
news flash. ive already beaten a charge like this in court. SPEEDING IS NOT LEGAL.

if im going 70 in the fast lane, and the speed limit is 70, i dont care how much you honk your horn, i dont care if you flash your lights, speed around me and flip me off. YOU are the one breaking the law.
"Left lane for passing only" is as black and white a rule you'll find.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here you go, the state "keep right" laws:

You may use the left lane (when there is more than one lane in your direction) to pass. You may or may not be able to use the left lane when not passing. The table below describes the law in effect in each state.

A few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. These have "yes" in the "keep right" column. Six states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane. Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below). These are listed as "slower", with an asterisk and an explanation under "comments" if vehicles lawfully using the left lane must yield to overtaking traffic. A few states either do not require vehicles to keep right ("no"), or permit vehicles moving at the speed limit to drive in the left lane regardless of traffic conditions. Texas do not belong to that group.

The Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

Note that this law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic.

State "keep right" laws
i am not debating that people in the left lane going slower than the posted speed limit should move the fark over.

what i am debating is the 'normal' flow of traffic should never exceed the posted speed limit.

there is absolutely no reason for someone to go faster than the posted speed limit unless they are dying (or are in some emergency situation) and in that case, they should call 911 and let the professionals handle it.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
After driving over 3,000 miles on vacation (from Texas through New Mexico, Arizona and California) and back..all I can say is it's a stupid law. All the Camaros in Texas can't catch all the law breakers. Having a very fast car when younger I did crazy things. I've had no tickets for at least 20 years. There's a reason for this. I adhere closely to traffic laws. I have no problem with speed...90MPH ...130 MPH no prob. Where's the safe limit? You get a blow out or certain other problems at those speeds...you could be brain dead in a hospital! You may have survived at 65MPH. Just another law trying to make it easier for the idiots and more profitable for the city, state whatever! But, we all want to do more than the posted limit regardless what it is. There are those exceptions which possibly shouldn't be on a freeway period.
..The police are using all kinds of sneaky tactics and devices (cameras etc.) to rake in the profits. Many of these citations would be hard for the entity (city or state) to win in court. Problem is you are the one who must fight it. $$$

Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here you go, the state "keep right" laws:

You may use the left lane (when there is more than one lane in your direction) to pass. You may or may not be able to use the left lane when not passing. The table below describes the law in effect in each state.

A few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. These have "yes" in the "keep right" column. Six states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane. Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below). These are listed as "slower", with an asterisk and an explanation under "comments" if vehicles lawfully using the left lane must yield to overtaking traffic. A few states either do not require vehicles to keep right ("no"), or permit vehicles moving at the speed limit to drive in the left lane regardless of traffic conditions. Texas do not belong to that group.

The Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

Note that this law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic.

State "keep right" laws
See post #20 in this thread as well.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:14 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
i am not debating that people in the left lane going slower than the posted speed limit should move the fark over.

what i am debating is the 'normal' flow of traffic should never exceed the posted speed limit.

there is absolutely no reason for someone to go faster than the posted speed limit unless they are dying (or are in some emergency situation) and in that case, they should call 911 and let the professionals handle it.
It is not about the reasons - the state law says if you drive slower you need to keep right. You might write to the Congress or White House, but right now there is nothing to debate. This is the current state law.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Your philosophy and stance on the issue is appreciated. However, the law and intent of the lawmakers is clear, and it doesn't agree with you, so you may want to write a letter to your congressman or woman : )

Sec. 545.051 DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY.
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway...

Old 08-22-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusQer View Post
"Left lane for passing only" is as black and white a rule you'll find.
if slow traffic is supposed to keep right, ill always be passing people in the left lane provided im going the speed limit

Old 08-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Neither is camping out in the left lane Sport, as evidenced by your stint to traffic court to "beat the charge".
i can camp in the left lane so long as i am going the speed limit and provided i am passing people also(even if at a slow rate of speed)

Quote:
Just as I figured, another clueless person trying to act like a cop. As noted above by your trip to court, what your doing is illegal.
please see bolded text, Moderator cut: off-topic/personal
the judge who dismissed the case and charge against me disagree with you.

Quote:
Getting briefed on traffic laws by someone that clearly states he's been to court and "beaten" the charges before.....Classic.
charge*

if by beat you mean prove my point, then yes, yes i did.

Quote:
Are you on some form of medication? You're saying you will continue to obey the law in the left lane and continue to beat charges for doing so? If you're obeying the law, why would you then have to continue to beat such charges (again)?
1) are you a licensed psychologist? if not, why are you asking medical-related questions?

2) there are dingleberry cops with your mentality that will continue to think theyre above the law and continue to enforce 'rules' that are ultimately thrown out in a court of law.

Quote:
My best friends a Bexar County Sheriff. What's your point?
that the police department agrees with me and disagrees with you.

Last edited by Bo; 08-22-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio