Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:25 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusQer View Post
Your philosophy and stance on the issue is appreciated. However, the law and intent of the lawmakers is clear, and it doesn't agree with you, so you may want to write a letter to your congressman or woman : )

Sec. 545.051 DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY.
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway...
as i have stated before, i had the single charge of impeding the flow of traffic THROWN OUT.

im not sure how much more black and white you can get than that. the police didnt appeal the decision either.

i have a judge agreeing with me. you have text to back up your argument, which a judge (like the one who saw my case) is ment to interpret and render a ruling on.

in my case, it was in my favor.

i will continue to do the limit in the far left lane and i will use my previous case as precedence (if i ever get a ticket again) to justify my actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 01:36 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
There is nothing to debate but to obey the law that says:
(only) In Alaska, Maryland, North Carolina and Ohio, vehicles can drive in the left lane so long as they're moving at the speed limit.
If you want to obey the law, then do as the law says: keep right if you are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit)

Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post

i will continue to do the limit in the far left lane and i will use my previous case as precedence (if i ever get a ticket again) to justify my actions.

... and what exactly is your point of doing that?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:44 PM

135 posts, read 551,022 times
Quote:
as i have stated before, i had the single charge of impeding the flow of traffic THROWN OUT.

im not sure how much more black and white you can get than that. the police didnt appeal the decision either.

i have a judge agreeing with me. you have text to back up your argument, which a judge (like the one who saw my case) is ment to interpret and render a ruling on.

in my case, it was in my favor.

The City or whoever you went against did the right thing not appealing the possible erroneous decision (need more facts) as an effort not to waste tax payer money on your "I will sit in the left lane and slow the entire city down because I think I have a right to ignore street signs" case. It doesn't mean the decision, even if on point to our discussion, is correct.

I'm sure a simple search on Westlaw or LexisNexis will pull up some black & white on point precedence from our appellate or higher courts.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Some posts above were deleted. The San Antonio forum has a history of problems with threads on the topic of "bad driving." Last year, the mod team declared a ban on discussing the topic for a period of a few months. To prevent that ban from being reinstated, members need to discuss it without getting personal or insulting anyone.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:45 PM

135 posts, read 551,022 times
So anyways getting back on topic of stealthy SAPD cars, did anyone see the live police chase this past Friday on KENS (I think). SAPD cars let the 4Runner go while the chopper followed it (unbeknownst to the driver). When the driver bailed 30 minutes later, SAPD cop cars were all over the guy within a minute. One of the first cars on scene was an unmarked SAPD unit. It looked nothing like a squad car, no caprice, no charger, no camaro, no impala, I have no idea what it was. Anyone else see it?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:04 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Today I saw that car also, it seems that the cops have them on ih10, and saw it on 281.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:08 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
I saw that, it looked like a Ford Taurus or similar mid-sized sedan. Very stealthy, and I was impressed with how fast the SAPD was on the alleged criminal after he bailed out of the stolen SUV!

I saw the "perp" on the news later, saying he ran because he was "scared." Yeah, being a fleeing felon, I could imaging I would be scared of the cops as well!

But again, a hearty "well done" to the SAPD! The "chase" was during rush hour, and they held back on the ground to allow the airborne unit to track the criminal who didn't clue in to the helicopters overhead (SAPD and at least one news chopper). This tactic kept the fleeing felon from taking as many risks on the crowded road. When he initially stopped, there wasn't a cop car in sight; but within a minute or so they were swarming all over the place and had him in cuffs!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-22-2010, 06:49 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Finally I get to talk to one of the people that mess up my day twice a day (stress level).

Let's go straight to the point...
You are making the highway more dangerous to drive.
What happens when somebody keeps people from passing on the left lane?
- You are blocking the passing lane, creating complete chaos. People that try to go fast find the left lane packed with cars.
- People get frustrated, and start passing on the right lane or zig-zagging. A hell lot more dangerous than having cars driving 100MPH on the left lane, because people don't expect cars to be passing them on the right lane (slow lane).
- Why do think the left lane is the passing lane?
(1) It's the lane where you have almost zero visibility when there's a traffic jam (2) Most exit ramps are on the right lane.

You think that are making the highway safer by driving on the left lane?

Maybe you'll change your mind when you make a family speeding to the hospital get in a wreck because you forced them to pass on the right lane.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
if slow traffic is supposed to keep right, ill always be passing people in the left lane provided im going the speed limit
It appears you don't pass people from your earlier posts. You just stay in the left lane therefore impeding the flow of traffic and that is what you got the ticket for because it is against the law to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio