Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:08 PM

161 posts, read 360,360 times

Advertisements

Ah more money on revenue generators. Surprise, surprise. How about we see some real police work, like investigating theft and more neighborhood patrols?

I must sound like a broken record by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 03:35 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budjb View Post
Ah more money on revenue generators. Surprise, surprise. How about we see some real police work, like investigating theft and more neighborhood patrols?

I must sound like a broken record by now.
I agree. I would rather see my tax dollars spent on the police doing more important police work. Unfortunatly a large percentage of police work in SA involves being on the freeway babysitting drivers who do not obey the laws and have to be constantly reminded to obey the laws by handing them tickets.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,069 times
I saw that Camaro this morning on 410W. I was startled it was going so slow (I didn't know it was a cop at the moment) then I passed him up and saw the laptop in the car. He eventually moved around traffic, which he did higher than the posted speed limit. His lights weren't flashing...is this legal? Just curious.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
I saw that Camaro this morning on 410W. I was startled it was going so slow (I didn't know it was a cop at the moment) then I passed him up and saw the laptop in the car. He eventually moved around traffic, which he did higher than the posted speed limit. His lights weren't flashing...is this legal? Just curious.
I believe cops are allowed to do whatever they want, within reason. I've seen 'em run red lights and this and that. Pretty pathetic.

This whole thing about SAPD & all the other little towns running speed traps for revenue generation makes me think that we REALLY need to develop an excellent public transportation system, and I don't mean buses. I mean trains and trams. That would be so nice, and would take a HUGE chunk of revenue out of these loser police departments. They'll get what they deserve.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
It's ok if they set speed traps.
As long as it's not like the sob that got me by waiting right where the speed limit changed by 15mph.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 AM

254 posts, read 548,018 times
I wonder who gets to drive the Camaro-
Are they chosen for perfect attendance?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's ok if they set speed traps.
As long as it's not like the sob that got me by waiting right where the speed limit changed by 15mph.
No, it's not okay if they set speed traps, it is wrong. You ticket someone when they are a clear and present danger to everyone around them, and not every "speeder" is such. Some are not "speeding", they are driving at an appropriate speed for the road and conditions, but the speed limit is set artificially low for the purpose of revenue generation. This is WRONG.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
No, it's not okay if they set speed traps, it is wrong. You ticket someone when they are a clear and present danger to everyone around them, and not every "speeder" is such. Some are not "speeding", they are driving at an appropriate speed for the road and conditions, but the speed limit is set artificially low for the purpose of revenue generation. This is WRONG.
Sorry, but this is not correct. Speed limits are set to enforce. You get over the limit, and it doesn't matter if you were the only one on the street, or the road condition were appropriate - you might get ticket for going over the speed limit. Maybe not necessary but is legal and enforceable.
On the hwy and loop they might close an eye for 5 miles OTL but on the little streets, if they see you - you get ticket.
The term of "appropriate speed for the road conditions" leave to much room to interpret. They want the rules set and clear.
You can write a letter to your Councilman, or County Office and complain about the necessity of the limit, or area where is set, or why is such drop in speed from one block to another, but till you see any changes, you have to obey the rules or pay the fines.

Last edited by elnina; 08-25-2010 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: link added; link not working - removed

Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sorry, but this is not correct. Speed limits are set to enforce. You get over the limit, and it doesn't matter if you were the only one on the street, or the road condition were appropriate - you might get ticket for going over the speed limit. Maybe not necessary but is legal and enforceable.
On the hwy and loop they might close an eye for 5 miles OTL but on the little streets, if they see you - you get ticket.
The term of "appropriate speed for the road conditions" leave to much room to interpret. They want the rules set and clear.
You can write a letter to your Councilman, or County Office and complain about the necessity of the limit, or area where is set, or why is such drop in speed from one block to another, but till you see any changes, you have to obey the rules or pay the fines.
I apologize, but you are wrong. What you have described is correct only in HOW THINGS SHOULD BE, not HOW THINGS ARE. Granted, speed limits are good in 90% of situations I've encountered in Bexar County, but that is still 10% too few.

2 roads, with similar design, but different densities of commercial and residential development. The one with higher density has a HIGHER speed limit. Why is this? It's counter-intuitive.

The answer? It's because the other municipality is a speed trap. Their speed limit is lower than it should be because they want to steal money from hard-working, honest individuals who are driving the appropriate speed for the road....except the speed limit's lower, artificially, for the purposes of revenue generation. It's pretty pathetic.

And what happens is that people will catch up on this and simply avoid this podunk municipality. It is WRONG to have an incorrect speed limit: wrong and dangeous, because it creates differences in speed between those driving the appropriate speed for the road and those driving the artificially-imposed limit out of fear, speed differences that increase the chance of an accident.

Have speed limits uniform and appropriate for the road, that's all. Not too low, not too high. It's not a difficult concept, except for people profiting from speed traps, of course.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweet Pickles Bus View Post
I wonder who gets to drive the Camaro-
Are they chosen for perfect attendance?
It's a Chevy Camaro, not a Ferrari. Hard to get excited about a car you can rent at Enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio