Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:15 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times

Advertisements

This makes me sick. You only get one life. Just so sad. No judgement here. That's all I have to say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 02:03 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
Why were these kids allowed to wear chains/tails to school? Isn't that a violation of dress code ? Seriously the dress code does state that it cant be anything that is distracting to the student body. IF he was being bullied it certainly sounds like that part of his "attire" was a distraction. Now maybe that would not prevent the suicide but it MIGHT have prevented the bullying.

I'm with TexasRedneck...the heck with "self expression" and letting little sally or johnny doing what they want.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:37 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Why were these kids allowed to wear chains/tails to school? Isn't that a violation of dress code ? Seriously the dress code does state that it cant be anything that is distracting to the student body. IF he was being bullied it certainly sounds like that part of his "attire" was a distraction. Now maybe that would not prevent the suicide but it MIGHT have prevented the bullying.

I'm with TexasRedneck...the heck with "self expression" and letting little sally or johnny doing what they want.
The article before this boy died quoted the principle as saying the tail and chains are not allowed on campus. I didn't hear a mention of the contacts. The rest of the hair and makeup blurs the lines on what is allowed.

It's clearly a call for attention or to be separate from all the rest, even though they want to be themselves. This really isn't new. The one boy indicated that everyone has "something" inside them crying to come out. I believe that is true.....it doesn't necessarily mean they have to grow a tail and morph into something abnormal. It's a paradox....being "themselves" is not creating something new...it's being something natural. Life requires discipline....like knowing to stop at a stop sign, or not to steal or to not drink and drive. Simple rules become targets for rebellion. I'm all for self expression but there is a fine line in allowing freedom of self as well as teaching respect for others freedom. That's where the discipline comes in.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:59 PM

thanks wcat, I did not read that article about with the principal said.

good points about discipline!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
I agree with dress codes since without them it can be distracting. Here is where I will blame the School's. M-F I drive by many Schools and see all sorts of attire that I would assume are violations of the School's Dress Code. I'll bet not even a third of those kids are sent home. Kids will be kids as all of us Adults know (since we were once kids) and if you give them an inch they'll take a mile. So the attire that is against Dress Codes continues.
Yes I too blame the Parents if they are allowing their kids to leave home that way. I know first hand (My Sister 35 years ago) that kids will leave the house dressed to the "T" and as soon as they are out of site their dress completely changes.

He is the bottom line..... Until WE stop judging someone by the the way they look or dress or sexuality things will continue to be screwed up. Have you ever had the chance to speak to someone (Adult , Young Adult, Teenager, etc) who is Gay or Lesbian, Straight with holes in their ears, skin tight jeans, weird colored or styled hair, chainns, rings on all fingers, rings in their noses and lips, make up, etc? I'll assure you ( I made that mistake for years until I had the pleasure of talking and LISTENING) they aren't as bad as we first thought when we first judged them. Everyone judges and draws conclusions a little too soon.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM

as far as the dress code alot of times the schools are known to provide pe loaner clothes to wear. The kids then change back into the non approved stuff when leaving. doing that, keeps the kid in school where they belong. Also keeps admin from dealing with stuff that quite honestly they shouldn't have to and they can get back to things like educating.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:44 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
How do you know it wasn't him who wouldn't stand within 6 or 8 feet of her? Kids that age rebel against their parents and like to distance themselves as they seek autonomy. Or maybe they were both distant from each other? I guess there's just no way for us to know, especially from just that little video clip.
It's sort of irrelevant now, isn't it? I wasn't trying to place blame on either the mother or the kid. It just seemed to me that there were some issues there, after reflecting on my own relationship with my own 14 year old. It was simply an observation on my part, and I'm sorry if that bothered you.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Dopo - Payng School Taxes hasn't a damned thing to do with this extremely tragic situation.
Alright people, calm down,
I was being a prick by blaming the tax payers, it's not their fault.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
He is the bottom line..... Until WE stop judging someone by the the way they look or dress or sexuality things will continue to be screwed up. Have you ever had the chance to speak to someone (Adult , Young Adult, Teenager, etc) who is Gay or Lesbian, Straight with holes in their ears, skin tight jeans, weird colored or styled hair, chainns, rings on all fingers, rings in their noses and lips, make up, etc? I'll assure you ( I made that mistake for years until I had the pleasure of talking and LISTENING) they aren't as bad as we first thought when we first judged them. Everyone judges and draws conclusions a little too soon.
While this is a nice idea in theory, practically it's simply never going to happen. People have judged and bullied/ostracized/maltreated people that don't fall within the spectrum the majority feels is "normal" for all of human history. And that's adults. The idea that most teenagers are anywhere near mature enough to not judge a boy that wears a tail and heavy eyeliner is laughable.

The world will continue to be screwed up, it's a byproduct of human nature and will not change. There's a reason a certain level of conformity is necessary in life, unless you truly are okay on an emotional level with being judged, bullied, and looked down on by a whole lot of people in life. This boy obviously was not at peace with his situation, and I doubt the whole wolf pack thing was a healthy variable in that.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
People have judged and bullied/ostracized/maltreated people that don't fall within the spectrum the majority feels is "normal" for all of human history.

There's a reason a certain level of conformity is necessary in life, unless you truly are okay on an emotional level with being judged, bullied, and looked down on by a whole lot of people in life.
Time to quit blaming the victim. The only fault for someone being bullied are the BULLIES themselves.

If this has been happening since all of human history there had to be other reasons before because there was no such thing as teenagers or teenage fashions in the past.

While conforming to the pack was necessary at the tribal stage it is no longer necessary in a modern democratic society. It is one of the things as society we will have to learn to mature in.

The only people that deserved to be looked down are those who are intolerant of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio