Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:39 AM

129 posts, read 323,153 times

Advertisements

I wasn't trying to say I wanted to lie, I was just wondering if the school districts will let a child go to another school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
OP, I should clarify--I'm referring to a "within the same district" transfer. You may indeed end up paying tuition if it is a different district, and you're honest with them.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synch390 View Post
I wasn't trying to say I wanted to lie, I was just wondering if the school districts will let a child go to another school.
Check the ISD's websites, surely there is info on there about this. It's not uncommon at all.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synch390 View Post
Well if the child receives "substantial amount of after-school care" by a grandparent then they might ask the board.
Quote:
(9) the person does not reside in the school district but the grandparent of the person:

(A) resides in the school district; and
(B) provides a substantial amount of after-school care for the person as determined by the board.
EDUCATION CODEÂ*Â*CHAPTER 25. ADMISSION, TRANSFER, AND ATTENDANCE

Of course there is nothing to lie about if the conditions do apply.

Also if a relative has 'power of attorney' then they should have 'lawful control' of the child.

Quote:
The commissioner ruled in 1984 that it is the student's burden to prove to the school district that his or her presence is the result of a bona fide intention to reside there (Moreno vs Harlingen C.I.S.D.)
The educator's guide to Texas school law pg 60 - Google Books

So it would seem that even if a relative has power of attorney but the student does not actually live with that relative that they are just finding a fancy way to pull a fast one and it is lying nonetheless.

It all boils down to actual residency. Saying you simply live somewhere or someone is your guardian or has POA does not really change that.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks Merovee! Trust me, I am not a good liar, and instant karma has a tendency to strike me immediately, so....

Old 11-17-2010, 09:09 AM

I would still call the school district and perhaps even consult someone with expertise on the matter. Seeing that both Serna and Northwood both are part of NEISD the above codes might not accurately apply since they all refer to in-district residence.

I do know if someone is expelled they could, or at least used to be in SAISD, be sent to another school in the district with the parent having to worry about transportation.

There have also been issues with some school having enrollment caps in NEISD because of overcrowding so students are then sent to an overflow school outside of their regular boundaries.

If they make exceptions for these maybe there is one based on other legitimate reasons.

I also have instant karma >_<

Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 AM

I also found this, more options, hopefully one applies. I totally understand you wanting your grandchild to attend elementary school in Oak Park/Northwood instead of one off of Walzem:

Quote:
In the North East Independent School District (NEISD), students are assigned to schools based on their residence and may apply to other schools (called intradistrict choice), but there is no guarantee that they will be transferred. The application deadline is the last day of March. NEISD provides gifted education services to elementary, middle and high school students. The district also provides special education support.

Through the Public Education Grant Program (PEG), students who are enrolled in schools that have been rated as low-performing by the Texas Education Agency in any of the last three years, or in which more than half of the students failed the TAAS/TAKS for two of any three consecutive years, may transfer to another school or another district of their choice.

Under the federal No Child Left Behind law, students attending a Title I school designated as “in need of improvement” have the right to attend a higher-performing school in the district.
http://www.greatschools.org/texas/sa...hool-District/

It seems Serna is 'Academically Acceptable' while Northwood is 'Exemplary' but you can still apply and ask under the 'intradistrict choice'. Good luck.

If all else fails perhaps have the grandmother tell them so you don't have to lie and sorry for any incorrect assumptions I might have made.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 AM

wow, you are good, I didn't find that info..., but serna IS a title 1 school, so if i read that correctly, that means she could go to northwood if there wasn't a cap. Yay!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Serna is not off of Walzem, it's by 410 and Perrin Beitel and Serna isn't low performing. I have to admit though, Serna is more "ghetto" than Northwood even though the schools are only a couple of miles apart. Regency, Oak Grove, Serna, Clear Spring, and Northwood are so close together; sometimes students are given a choice.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Taking the Chinese shortcut through Austin Highway and certain parking lots it can very well be by Walzem ^__^ but yes, thanks again, for the correction meisha, you are good.

That is good news too synch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio