Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
My assumption is that they cruise the neighborhood looking for people not home. Since this only started a week ago they probably wouldnt have known that I am always here. Besides, if you know I am always here I doubt you are going to hit me the minute you see I am not. For all you know, I just ran to the store or something.
I have known people in the past that where hit while going to the nearby school to pick up their kids

when the cops went to look in the vacant lot across the street with heavy tree cover there was a weeks worth of recent fast food trash in the bushes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
My Inlaws home was broken into in broad daylight around this time last year...

They live in The Preserve at Indian Springs, off Evans/281 area...

My MIL had alot of contractors coming in and out of the house to give her bids on tile work, painting, spraying insulation, etc... So it could have been anyone of them...

The reason we believe it was one of the contractors is because they seemed to know what they were after... The house was certainly being watched... They knew that my MIL is almost always home (she does not drive) and they watched for when my FIL and MIL left together... The home has a monitored alarm and it was the alarm company that called my FIL to tell him the alarm had gone off... They were already on their way home...

The front door was kicked in at apx 230pm and they ran in and grabbed their flat screen tv in the living room and took off... Nothing else was missing... They did take the TV remote control, but happened to grab the wrong remote, so they took the remote for the surround sound system, leaving my FIL to buy not only a new TV but also a new remote for his system...

It still amazes me how brazen these theives are to do this in broad daylight, they have no shame and are probably more than proud that they got away with it during the day...

My inlaws ended up replacing their front door and the door jamb as it was kicked out of the wall... and they purchased 2 of those steel security bars from Master Lock...

Hopefully they will get thru this season without any intruders...

Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
When I lived in Caracas (one of the cities with highest crime rate in the World)
I noticed that some people had a door that seems almost impossible to kick open.

Does anybody sell doors like that here?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:56 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Oh, sweet.....getting ready for a family-wide get-together at the house. Had the garage open, went inside. Came back out, there's some jerkwater looking in my truck. Unfortunately for him, I was taking one of my pistols out to put in the garage tool-box. NBPD was kind enough to give him a ride to a safer environment.<evil grin> Local cops know me pretty well, they had a hard time keeping a straight face as the guy whined about me "threatening him" and cuffing him until they got there (you EVER seen an ex-cop that didn't keep a set of cuffs??)
Sounds like he's lucky that's all that happened.

BTW try hog tying the guy next time.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:19 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
My inlaws ended up replacing their front door and the door jamb as it was kicked out of the wall... and they purchased 2 of those steel security bars from Master Lock...
Hopefully they will get thru this season without any intruders...
mrstxcop,... Can you please tell me more about those 'Steel Security Bars' and where they can be purchased ?
You can DM me if you don't want to post it here.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:59 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
mrstxcop,... Can you please tell me more about those 'Steel Security Bars' and where they can be purchased ?

There's two types of security you can use to reinforce your doors.
There are the Amazon.com: Master Lock 265DCCSEN Dual-Function Security Bar: Home Improvement and then also DIY Installation of StrikeMaster II Pro Door Frame Reinforcement (http://www.asafehome.net/installation.html - broken link).
I have both, excellent products. It was the first things we do when we bought our home plus change the locks. Also, buy the highest grade of locks for both the front and back door. There are also security bars you can purchase for your windows which are installed facing the inside of your windows and are not seen through the outside.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 PM

123 posts, read 288,113 times
i live out in boonieville so it was a suprise when a couple of weeks ago the next door neighbor told me a 5kw generator on wheels had been taken in broad daylight from his place. i immediately looked over at my two generators and a chainsaw lying in the open. (since taken to my farm in east texas)

he commented it was strange that they hit him and not me. annnnnnd he hasnt spoken to me since annnnd he mentioned it was strange to the landowner.

so i reckon he thinks i took his crappy generator.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:51 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post

Hi Laststraw --- The bar my inlaws got is just like the one in the first link that Skeet posted --- They bought theirs at Home Depot --- If I remember correctly, when we looked for one, it is in the aisle with all the locks and it's on the bottom row, laying down, not hanging on a peg...

But I think it was apx $25 at Home Depot, so Amazon is cheaper, but if you have to pay for tax and shipping and then factor in the wait time for it to be shipped, it may just be better to buy it at HD if you are wanting it quickly...

Hope this info helps...

Old 12-11-2010, 10:10 PM

117 posts, read 343,581 times
You may want to look into getting some security window film (like the kind jewelry stores use) put on your downstairs windows, such as your sidelights along your front door, back door, etc. We used www.myfilmfx.com (830)228-5040 and they did a great job. We also reinforced our front door by replacing the 1" screws holding the deadbolt in to 3" or 4" ones and larger plates and put some locks on our side gates. I sort of figure if the thieves are random they won't bother banging on my windows for 20 minutes to gain entry when they can take a hammer to the neighbors window and gain entry within seconds. For the most part you only have to look more secure than your neighbor.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's what happens when "you look like a criminal"
My brother tends to have that problem and the fact that he always looks PO doesn't help him.
No, I don't look like a criminal at all. People usually assume that I'm really timid, listen to jazz music, and read books all day. If librarians look like criminals, then I guess I do.

Sapphire, why do you think I was accusing others of racial profiling? I was just sharing my experience on how a couple exaggerated in telling the police I was parked outside of someone's house for 10-15 min. when I was only there for a few seconds, literally. It still pisses me off 'til this day. I should have filed a report on them in return for making a false police report just to deter them from being so frivolous in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio