Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times

Advertisements

Well it's that time of year again where it seems home burglaries increase. Last week the house across the street from me was burglarized and yesterday they got me.

Thankfully it looks like my 4 dogs scared them off but, of course not before they broke the front door and got the tv in the living room (nothing else missing).

There were witnesses on both occasions, although the first time it was from a distance. When they got me my neighbor saw them pulling out of my driveway and got a good look at the car and the occupants.

At this point what we know is that it is two hispanic males driving a red Honda hatchback (my tv was hanging out of the back and the license plate was attached to the hatch so no license plate#). They seem to be specifically looking for places where they are sure no one is home in the middle of the day.

They appear to be hanging around the Timber Ridge/Tara area and probably anywhere else in close proximity.

More than anything I just want to remind everyone to keep everything safe and try not to keep Christmas presents out in the open. It is bad enough having your stuff taken from your house but it would have really sucked to have presents taken as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:10 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
If there is any way that you can park a car in an otherwise empty driveway that would be a big plus.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Good suggestion, it is one of the benefits of having an extra vehicle; there is always one at home to give the appearance of someone being there. Plus, since my wife works at home; most of the time there is somebody at the house.

Anything you can do to deter a potential burglar helps, even having an alarm sign in the front yard is a deterrent but if you don't have a monitoring company you may want to consider one.

I miss our European houses, they were built like castles (thick stone and cinder block) and the doors and windows were a lot heavier than the ones here. You could drive a truck into our Belgian house and it still wouldn't breach the place. Here I feel I could almost punch a hole through a wall...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times
We've already been hit once...well twice in a way. Attempted car break in and a successful car break in on one night.

Hubby retires from the AF today and will have lots of time on his hands and will be staying home for awhile. Seems this year is the worst for any sort of break ins...or maybe I'm just hearing about it more or it's hitting closer to home since I know several people who have had either their vehicles or homes broken in to lately.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Funny thing is that I usually work from home. I am ALWAYS here, but yesterday I had to go up to the office for a few hours.

I knew these guys were probably still around so when I got home it wasnt all that unexpected. I am of the belief I was a crime of opportunity

And I am with you M2. Even my house in Florida was built with cinder blocks. It would take a jackhammer to get in there.

We'll most certainly be reinforcing the front door and adding a lockable iron gate at the front (father in law is an iron worker).

I am also of the belief that if someone wants in bad enough, they'll get in. Just going to do what we can to minimize the chance and maximize the effort to get in.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
That's the biggest challenge - if they want in, they'll do so. We have a monitored alarm, and both of us are armed (biggest concern is walking in on one in progress). Large safe(s), bigger dog - and nosy neighbors. We watch out for each other as much as possible. That, and an excellent insurance policy - because the odds of 'em being caught (especially in a large city) are slim.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 PM

431 posts, read 766,112 times
they will be "stopped" before they get caught. the castle doctrine is your friend. your neighbors should of went up to them and protected your property.

I really hope everyone has home protection. once the buglers know homeowners will protect themselves they will think twice.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 PM

11 posts, read 24,829 times
Also, be on the look out for people trying to steal packages being left on your front door. The other day, some random people were in my neighborhood (Wildhorse) walking around, pretending to sell something while looking inside peoples cars in the driveway. It's all too shady to me, IMO.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzilla View Post
Also, be on the look out for people trying to steal packages being left on your front door. The other day, some random people were in my neighborhood (Wildhorse) walking around, pretending to sell something while looking inside peoples cars in the driveway. It's all too shady to me, IMO.
I remember dealing with something like that a few years ago. These guys were going around appearing to go door to door and one was looking in my car. I was on the phone but was in front of my open window when I saw the jerk. I opened the door and gave him the stink eye while still on the phone and told the person I was talking to to hold on and said firmly, "Can I help you?" They walked off.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:09 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Years ago, some couple called the police on me for delivering newspapers. Do you know how embarrassing it is to have the police come up to your door when all of the neighbors are out? I didn't get an apology from anyone. This couple told the police it looked like I was staking out someone's house when all I was doing was throwing newspapers out of my window. It's funny how most officers do nothing when a parent is beating on their child, but they'll question me for 30 min. even after I showed them proof that I was delivering newspapers. People love to exaggerate, especially when you look a certain way. I'm not saying anyone here is exaggerating, but that couple did. Two cops came to my door in broad daylight for a 19 year old girl delivering newspapers. Tell me how come my neighbor had to wait two hours when she reported being beaten by her husband?

Last edited by L210; 12-11-2010 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio