Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times

Advertisements

Once the economy recovers more, many of these "teachers" will be going back to the private sector for the better-paying jobs (and MUCH better hours/working conditions). Many of 'em currently teaching did so when the public-sector jobs dried up, or because they thought it was an "easy paycheck". Doesn't take 'em long to figure out they were wrong....

My hat is off to ANY career teacher, because most of 'em are there because of their dedication to their students, and do the very best job they can. My better half just retired this past school year after 29 years as a teacher - so I know firsthand just what the job entails!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 03:45 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,559,114 times
Link to current postings in NEISD: North East Independent School District

NISD is closed to new applicants, and I believe SAISD is about to, if they haven't done so already. NEISD has not closed to new applicants yet, but that could change at any time.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
I've heard it's pretty hard to get into NEISD because it's one of the main school districts in San Antonio for which everyone wants to work. In other words, there is a lot of competition.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 AM

I just heard on WOAI radio that NISD is planning on being in the red the next two years and will cut 500-600 jobs. Every school district might have massive layoffs because of the state's budget shortfall.

http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news...rticle=8021714

Old 01-10-2011, 04:25 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,542,608 times
Meisha, you would be correct. This is what NISD has been telling staff for a while now. The state was saying there was a $18m shortfall. Now they are telling all districts they will take a certain
percentage from each district. Well it turns out to be way more than what they were saying to put it mildly.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,743 times
As others have posted, have a contract signed before you make plans to move here. It won't hurt to put in online apps at districts that will accept them, but the big districts are making cuts and the others might be as well. (Also keep in mind that when it comes to layoffs in any upcoming years, many districts are following the "last hired, first fired" process - not fired, of course, but RIFed.)Our principal is interviewing paras later this week to replace a para who left recently - all of the applicants are certified teachers. My district has upcoming budget cuts of at least 5%. Several proposals are being presented to the board, but none of them look great. Positions might be cut and/or consolidated, they are considering closing one of the schools, etc.

It doesn't hurt to do the online apps and who knows, you might get a bite... We do also have some charter schools here. I don't know anyone working for any charters this school year, so I'm not sure what their hiring outlooks are, but that might be something for you to consider as well.

Good luck with your search.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
One position was advertised with St. Luke Episcopal School for 5th and 6th Grade Math if anyone is looking in that area in Sunday's paper.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,141 times
Harmony Schools - seems to be some charter school here in San Antonio? - they were advertising a few weeks ago, mainly for math, science, and a whole bunch of foreign languages - even Russian and Chinese - I was amazed - -

Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
While public schools are facing budget cuts will they affect charter schools and/or private schools?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 AM

I think charter schools are funded in the same way as public school districts. I think they also receive federal grants and private donations. I think the only thing that could be possibly affecting private schools is the economy where people might be less willing to pay for the tuition. I worked with someone who was just working at my company temporarily because he didn't know if his private school would be cutting his position or not and he said it was hard finding another one somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio