Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 AM

36 posts, read 155,342 times

Advertisements

I have a Masters in Education and I'm a certified teacher for grades 4-8. I could never find a job in the public school here no matter what I did (unless like someone mentioned you are willing to go in as an aide and hope something opens up). You can also work as a sub. That is honestly the only way you will ever get your foot in the door. You have to be willing to take whatever job is available so you can get face time and meet the right people. Even then, it's a shot in the dark. The more likely alternative will be private school. I ended up working in a private school which I actually loved but the pay was atrocious. I literally was making a ridiculously low amount of money to the point where it was not even worth it for me to get up and leave the house. So I ended up taking a completely different job in another field. I love my job now and would not trade it but I was never able to make teaching work for me. Just go to a sub orientation in NEISD. You will be in a room full of a hundred or more people who all have masters degrees. Many with tons of experience!! All hoping to get their foot in the door. When I saw that, I realized that getting a teaching job here was like hoping to win the lottery. I hope you have better luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 AM

177 posts, read 358,189 times
grace72,
You are SO right...I have a bachelor's degree with certification under NCLB as a classroom para/aide and the only job I could get after searching for a year was in the preschool setting. I thought I could walk right in to an aide position, but was told those are being filled with certified teachers. Also, I am not bi-lingual, which is the first question I got asked! If you think aides/ paras barely make ends meet, check out what preschool teacher pay is. I could make more at McDonald's. Glad we are moving in March; maybe I'll get back in the classroom again.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:31 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,882,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
Not necessarily. Charter schools are in interesting animal, and they don't function here in SA as profoundly as they do in Dallas, for instance. The success of private school is dependent upon their own resources, i.e. donations, tuition, fundraising and grants. While you would think that many people pull their children from private schools during times of recession, often times enrollment will increase at lower priced schools. During times of recession, people in general become uneasy and wary of their environment. For parents, one of the things that brings them some peace is feeling like they are protecting their children. One of the ways they do that is by enrolling them or keeping them in private school. Our school has seen a 20% increase in enrollment since last school year, and as of right now our projected enrollment for next school year is higher than the current school year.

If you are interested in working in a private school, 1. make sure your core values align with those of that particular school and 2. submit your resume, letter of interest and the school's application at any time. Private schools have a much smaller applicant pool to choose from, and when the need to fill a spot arises the school is forced to take quick action and go to its small pool of applicants.
That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Guess we need to hire a Governor who made use of his college time rather than wasting it being a cheerleader when he should have been crackin' the books!
Give me a "W"!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 AM

17 posts, read 28,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
That makes sense.

Give me a "W"!

lmao yea right. under his NCLB is why the high school I teach at has so many problems. NO SUCH THING AS EXPULSION anymore, thanks NCLB now every kid is just a dollar sign! so we dont kick problem students out anymore, instead we beg the drop outs and thugs back in the schools. and thanks to the cheerleader Rick Perry not accepting funds all school district now have a hiring freeze so it looks like I will be stuck here even longer.

Thanks W and RP

Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM

4,337 posts, read 7,247,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
Search the SA forum for all of the other threads on the same topic. That will give you a good idea. Teaching jobs are scarce, especially in the big districts. If you want to look around, look at private schools and smaller districts around SA. Unfortunately, a few years ago when all of these organizations started advertising their alternate programs and started the "teacher shortage" frenzy, everyone jumped on board and now the field is overcrowded. There really wasn't a shortage, but alternate certifications are a big money business. I was a teacher for 6 years and have an alt cert that I earned after I was already a teacher. Sorry, a little off your subject, but that's partly why there aren't that many jobs :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Once the economy recovers more, many of these "teachers" will be going back to the private sector for the better-paying jobs (and MUCH better hours/working conditions). Many of 'em currently teaching did so when the public-sector jobs dried up, or because they thought it was an "easy paycheck". Doesn't take 'em long to figure out they were wrong....

My hat is off to ANY career teacher, because most of 'em are there because of their dedication to their students, and do the very best job they can. My better half just retired this past school year after 29 years as a teacher - so I know firsthand just what the job entails!
Personally , I think local public school teacher salaries look attractive in comparison to local private-sector salaries, primarily because I perceive a dearth of local employers with jobs paying what public school teachers make.

As far as MUCH better hours, that can vary. I've worked in local private-sector jobs that entailed working some pretty grueling hours, IMO. Late nights, weekends, and holidays, on top of the regular 8-5 M-F schedule. Individuals who would not make their job their #1 priority, need not apply!

One really has to find a career path that one finds satisfying and rewarding, and would also fit their lifestyle. Maybe not the best stability, pay, hours, etc., but do you enjoy it?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,562,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
One really has to find a career path that one finds satisfying and rewarding, and would also fit their lifestyle. Maybe not the best stability, pay, hours, etc., but do you enjoy it?
YES, and that is why I continue to teach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio