Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:33 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Talking it to an extreme, I guess you are right, alhough my point was more subtle: the more "bling" you show (whether it's in your person, house or car) the higher the chances someone will target you. It could be that you are luck and nothing happens even if you are very flashy, or it could be that even if you do everything in your power to keep things "modest" you will still be targeted.
probably so, but thats what people in this thread are saying. put nice rims on? youre a target. more fear mongering over something we shouldnt have to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
There are no excuses for people stealing or vandalizing your car, but if you spend money on customizing and making it nicer, well, it will just be more attractive to thieves. Still a crime, still needs to be punished, but you are helping them by making yourself a target.
So using that logic, why have anything nice at all?!?

Seriously, do you live in a crappy house to deter thieves from breaking in?

Not me, I work hard to own nice things and if some idiot wants to risk his life trying to take them away from me, that's his/her decision; but when they're looking down the barrel of one of my nicest and shiniest possessions, I am sure they'll realize they made a bad choice!

The only question after that is whether they're gonna live to regret it!

Texas has Castle Doctrine laws that allow law-abiding citizens to protect their property, their families and themselves. I for one am not going to let some low-life criminal prevent me from owning nice things because they might be stupid enough to try and take them away.

If it works for you, then great; but to advocate that people should forgo the rewards of their efforts and labor because they might get stolen is pretty ridiculous...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 PM

29 posts, read 42,583 times
Carry pepper spray where you can't carry a gun. Get a CCL, it is pretty simple process. Rent a place North of 90, in the West outside 410, and outside 1604 if you can.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 PM

29 posts, read 90,482 times
We moved from San Antonio to North Dallas and feel much safer here. I even leave the house without my Glock 23 on a regular basis, something I *NEVER* did in San Antonio.

And no more door dings from low-life rednecks!!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
I think the logic is don't be stupid and flashy. The equivalent is wearing visible jewelry as a pedestrian in D.F.

Most street thieves would not even target those with truly nice and classy things because they would not recognize the value nor are those things flashy. Use common sense but if you wish to take your shinys out don't come crying here about it.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM

487 posts, read 992,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
So using that logic, why have anything nice at all?!?

Seriously, do you live in a crappy house to deter thieves from breaking in?

Not me, I work hard to own nice things and if some idiot wants to risk his life trying to take them away from me, that's his/her decision; but when they're looking down the barrel of one of my nicest and shiniest possessions, I am sure they'll realize they made a bad choice!

The only question after that is whether they're gonna live to regret it!

Texas has Castle Doctrine laws that allow law-abiding citizens to protect their property, their families and themselves. I for one am not going to let some low-life criminal prevent me from owning nice things because they might be stupid enough to try and take them away.

If it works for you, then great; but to advocate that people should forgo the rewards of their efforts and labor because they might get stolen is pretty ridiculous...

Cheers! M2
DexterCat, MMM: Seruously? that's what you got from my post?

I don't really know how to put it in more simple terms, but I'll try: it all comes down to common sense: thieves are attracted to shiny things. The more shiny things you have and make visible, the higher the risk. It's shouldn't be that way, but that's how it is. I'm not justifying thieves nor telling you not to have shiny things.

It's up to you the level of risk you are willing to take and how you respond to it. If you want to carry a gun and confront whoever tries to take the shiny things from you, good for you. I my case, alarm systems and insurance are my favorite way.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM

431 posts, read 766,112 times
well dont move downtown and for sure dont ride the bus
Man stabbed in downtown area | News - Home

Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
DexterCat, MMM: Seruously? that's what you got from my post?

I don't really know how to put it in more simple terms, but I'll try: it all comes down to common sense: thieves are attracted to shiny things. The more shiny things you have and make visible, the higher the risk. It's shouldn't be that way, but that's how it is. I'm not justifying thieves nor telling you not to have shiny things.

It's up to you the level of risk you are willing to take and how you respond to it. If you want to carry a gun and confront whoever tries to take the shiny things from you, good for you. I my case, alarm systems and insurance are my favorite way.
Tackle it any way you want, but it's been proven that car alarms (largely ignored in today's society) and insurance (which only replaces the items once the are gone, then charges you for that luxury) aren't nearly as effective as a projectile at 750+ fps.

As for how I took your post, I'll quote ya...

Quote:
...my point was more subtle: the more "bling" you show (whether it's in your person, house or car) the higher the chances someone will target you. It could be that you are lucky and nothing happens even if you are very flashy, or it could be that even if you do everything in your power to keep things "modest" you will still be targeted.
...and to that I disagree. People are targeted because they let their guard down. I for one have no problems in driving nice vehicles (OK, one's a Toyota, but it's still nice! ) and wear decent clothes and jewelry when I am out and about without the need to forgo it all because I am worried some idiot will try and take it away from me.

Firstly, maintain what we in the military term as "situational awareness," in that I am constantly scanning my environment and preparing myself for any eventuality. It's not being paranoid, it's simply recognizing potential threats and being able to address (and hopefully preempt) them.

Secondly, I ensure I have the means to defend myself. Obviously the first and preferred option is to escape; but if that possibility doesn't present itself then I will use whatever I have available to ensure my self-defense. With luck the idiot criminal will recognize that I am not an easy target and will break contact and retreat; but in case he/she doesn't clue in that easily I will be prepared to escalate my response.

Lastly, a little common sense prevails; but not in the submissive form you're advocating. If the fear of being targeted by criminals forces you to change your behavior, then they have won. Sorry, but I don't give in that easily. I will accept whatever risk you may think I am incurring by having "shiny things" and if some moron wants to be dumb enough to think he/she can easily take them from me, they're in for a rude awakening!

But different strokes for different folks. Some people are more afraid of carrying a gun to defend themselves than they are of the criminals. That's their choice and hopefully it works for them, but I for one have adopted an "active defense" against the off chance that some scumbag mistakenly thinks I am an easy target...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 PM

29 posts, read 42,583 times
Woah,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Use common sense but if you wish to take your shinys out don't come crying here about it.
This is the same line of thinking that says a women is raped because she was wearing a skirt. "If ya don't wanna get raped, don't dress like that". "If ya don't want your **** to get stolen, don't have anything shiny". Really?

Crime is a fact of life. Like M2 said , make yourself a harder target, but don't live in a dungeon of fear and junk ****. Enjoy what you work for and protect it as you see fit. Don't empower the criminals though by saying things like, they couldn't help but steal it, it was shiny!!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM

123 posts, read 258,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl2012 View Post
Woah,

This is the same line of thinking that says a women is raped because she was wearing a skirt. "If ya don't wanna get raped, don't dress like that". "If ya don't want your **** to get stolen, don't have anything shiny". Really?

Crime is a fact of life. Like M2 said , make yourself a harder target, but don't live in a dungeon of fear and junk ****. Enjoy what you work for and protect it as you see fit. Don't empower the criminals though by saying things like, they couldn't help but steal it, it was shiny!!
Exactly. I am a very modest person in all sorts of ways. But my point was that I feel that when people make comments like that they are blaming the victim. Wrong, wrong, wrong. No need to flash your goods, but you shouldn't have to purposely dial it down either. Like MMM said, if you do then the criminals have the upper hand anyway. Just the comment about "not crying on here about it" proved my point, that if you drive a fancy car, wear jewelry, carry a high end purse, etc. there are people who believe you are "asking for it" and that's just messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio