Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,892 times

Advertisements

<<<I would probably also choose private schools for my kids and I would probably enjoy what SA has to offer more often. >>>

Turtle....that is what made the choice easier for us. We love the older homes and the "vibe" of being so close to town but the idea of private school was not for us. So we chose outside 1604 also. If we did not have two children we would have moved in the older, more established areas and rennovate an "old maid" . Maybe when we are empty nesters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,011 times
There are schools inside 1604 or even 410 that are rated recognized or even exemplary.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:26 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,892 times
I am sure there are....I am sorry if I offended anyone. Just my personal opinion and not a judgement.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:11 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Did anyone see the article about tobin hill on mysanantonio.com?
MySA.com: Business (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA090707.01C.TobinTownhomes0907.29617bd.html - broken link)

I think Tobin Hill has alot of potential. Could become a more affordable monte vista. To me life outside 410 is too suburbia, but its true other than AH schools inside 410 are not usually good.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:47 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,205 times
We spent over 7 months looking at houses, inside the loop, outside the loop....you can see previous posts where Big Thirsty and I have asked about many areas. We ended up a month ago buying a house off 281 outside 1604. We had offers on other houses, 1 in the loop, 1 not...and they both had their own fun sets of issues. The house we purchased did not need fixing up. If we had bought some of the other houses we loved inside the loop we would not have had any money left over to fix it up. Of course I would love to be in the loop, who wouldn't want to be closer to all that's going on. I would love for my husband to have more time at home with our daughter. We did what was right for our family at this time. But don't kid yourself, we'd love to be in the loop!

Old 09-08-2007, 06:05 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
I just moved to San Antonio and if you look at it from what I see there is crime inside and outside 410 just look at the news
Ummm Yah! We are the 6th or 7th largest Metro in the nation.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:27 AM

370 posts, read 882,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Do people want to live inside 410 or would they rather live outside 410 and get a bigger lot?
Hi,

I'm inside the 410.

It must be relative to what you are accustomed to and what you want right now.

I'm accustomed to very crowded with yards smaller than a king size bed in the city of Chicago!!

This suits me just fine for now.

Gen

Last edited by Gennaver; 09-09-2007 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: edited because I wrote "suites" me

Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM

38 posts, read 113,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
There are schools inside 1604 or even 410 that are rated recognized or even exemplary.
Bonham Elementary in King William has always been a great school, a lot of professionsals in KW send their kids for the spanish immersion program and I even know of some in the alamo heights area that choose to send their kids there. Just recently became an internal charter school with the parents having much greater control of the programming etc. and now goes 1st thru 8th grade. If SAISD can replicate this with the elementaries in Monte Vista, Tobin Hill, etc. it will be great for the inner city.

For inside vs. outside 410, near outside 410 is now conisdered almost urban compared to the hinterland subdivisions. I think preference comes down to wanting SA vibe vs. new and "safe". Cities grow-age-decline-renew in rings. As the inner city continues to come back, the "older" new suburbs of the 80's/90's will tend to hit the skids.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:38 PM

190 posts, read 219,668 times
This seems to be less and less common as new transplants look to move out into newer developments of the northside. I do think thought that with time there will be a push back toward the center of the city.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
I could be wrong, but from what I've seen inside the 410, when you drive 2 blocks away from any of the rich area's, you are in the slums of San Antonio. There seem's to be only 2 classes, the rich and the poor. I can not afford to live in any of the rich area's inside 410, so I choose to live outside the 1604 where most of the neighborhoods are clean and nice.

If one was to live inside the 410 with a budget of say $150k to $200k for a 3 to 4 bedroom house, where could they find a nice house in a safe and clean neighborhood?
I have lived inside the loop all of my life. I have never been rich but I certainly have never been poor. I live in a 2000 sq ft home that's on the tax rolls at a little over 90K and would sell for a lttle over 100K. It's not a new home but it's on a cement foundation, brick front, big REAL fireplace and a nice big yard with nice trees. I know my neighbors and their kids and they know me. I've raised two sons there and they don't have rings in there noses and there pants aren't falling off. I'm four years away from retirement at which time my house will be paid off. It don't seem like the slums to me.

Who said there is no new homes inside the loop. Less than two miles from me there are a least three areas with brand new homes selling in 150's to 200's. One of the sub-divisions is next to a brand new 18 hole golf course.

"All of the crime is inside the loop?"
Excuse me...where did they find the latest dead body? Hunt Lane and 151.
That's where.

Sorry if I'm ranting but I just get a little tired of everyone north and west of 410 talking like they are some sort of expert on what a dirty, filthy place the rest of the city is. Most of them couldn't get off the freeway inside the loop without a map. What do they know about this city besides the plastic strip malls along 1604.

Inside the loop is not a ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio