Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:49 AM

44 posts, read 72,801 times

Advertisements

Hello San Antonio - I currently live in NJ just outisde NYC and work in NYC. I've been here most of my life except for some military time. I have been to SA a few times and loved being there and so has my family. I've decided to give up my hectic life and job with non-stop travel and relocate to SA. I have three kids, 16, 12 and 11 so some are happy and some aren't.

I am building a house in Cibolo Canyons. Are there any mid-atlantic relocatees on this forum? How was your transition? What should I look out for? What do you like, what do you not? I've been there in the summer so no worries about the heat if that's the first thing you will tell me, lol.

Looking for anything about your move and first months there that can help me. My two older children are heavy athletes and I'm sure our first fiends will come from their activity. Thansk in advance to all and look forward to getting there just in time for the brutal heat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 05:53 AM

93 posts, read 95,105 times
Oh boy. What a culture shock. I hope your children are not in for a rude awakening. Do you have a job lined up? I thought athletes were generally in shape and not "heavy". Maybe they're football players?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:59 AM

Default LOL - Sorry

Heavy meaning - they are heavily into athletics. No job lined up but not worried about it. I will be advising my company in the early part of the year so I will 4-6 months to find one and most likely they will offer me to stay on. I most likely will stay on until I find something down there.

Help me with rude awakening for the kids? Of course, I am worried about them the most. We live in a relatively affluent town with excellent schools but this is NY/NJ metro so I'm sure things are different but I just don't know how to help them transition.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
In my experience, kids are pretty resilient - I've got a feeling they'll be fine. Some culture shock to be sure - but the fact that they're into football will help, because folks here are typically huge fans of all things football.
Were it me, I might've chosen New Braunfels or Boerne - but you're already under construction so it is what it is. Not having a job already lined up does give me pause, but I figure you're a big boy and can handle that end of things.
One important thing....this IS Texas, so we tend to be polite to ladies, and folks with big mouths can get themselves in trouble quick here. Not sayin' YOU are, but I noticed that northern folks can be abrupt, in a hurry - and kinda quick to tell someone off. Around here, that's kinda like askin' for a pretty rough butt-kickin' - and if one can't do it, he'll bring others. Don't get me wrong - folks don't go lookin' for trouble, but they won't hesitate to hand someone their needings if need be.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:19 AM

93 posts, read 95,105 times
We are originally from Monmouth County. Don't like it here for many reasons, but I won't rag on the place. Folks that express negativity towards SA are frequently flamed here on the board. Not looking for trouble, and we have to live here, for now.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 AM

Default redneck

Thanks. You are right about a few things. Not sure if is telling people off but definitely abrubt, direct and to the point is accurate. Not worried about a job or money so thanks. My house will be paid for and I have some to hold me over and have it all under control. Curious about why you might have chosen Boerne or New Braunfels? I assume the same about kids being resilient. My two younger kids get along with everyone. My older one I am little worried about. He gets along but he has a bit of chip on his shoulder so maybe someone will knock him down a few notches and he will benefit. None of my kids are direct or won't adapt and I think my wife and I would welcome a softer way with people instead of what we are used to.

Bonehoner - I'm happy to give an email to you as I am looking for honest and straight forward feeback. Let me know and I can post as needed.

Thanks again.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
It's simply a preference of community. Grew up in Leon Valley on the NW side of SA, and lived in SA after my hitch in the USN for about 27 years. Don't get me wrong - SA has a lot to say for itself, and I enjoy it, but I don't like the way they stuff homes in neighborhoods, and the city council has allowed too much "trash" to go on for too long (loud stereo's, grafitti, etc.). New Braunfels, for example, has a noise ordinance that they enforce heavily. SA decries the loud music, but does nothing about it because they're too busy renaming streets and other "feel-good" issues.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,605 times
if you've already been here and liked it, then I'm guessing you will do fine. Although I wonder how long your visits were. Tolerating the "heat" for a week is a bit different than dealing with it for five loooooooong months.

I'm originally from the east coast and have lived here for years, but have never warmed up to Texas. We are eagerly hoping to return to the east coast or pretty much any place that will get us out of here. Good luck.

PS -- EAT (and say goodbye) to all your favorite foods before coming...the cuisine down here is yuck. Goodbye NY pizza, bagels, subs and great Italian food and welcome to a world of canned marinara sauce, cheeze whiz and, of course, a subpar Mexican restaurant on every corner.

sniff, sniff, sob, sob.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
It will be what you make it. SA offers a lot for families, lots of interesting places and things to do and some great weather to do them! I lived in the Baltimore-Washington region for a while and was just up there a few weeks ago. Things are different down here but better for the most part, in my opinion.

As for your kids, having been career military I hauled mine all over the world, and moved to SA twice from overseas locations (Germany and Belgium); and both times they adjusted fine. Sure, climate-wise it took a little time to adjust; but otherwise they had no problem. Just be positive as any negativity or apprehension you have will be picked up by them.

Lastly, welcome to SA! There's nothing to worry about here, it will be different but relish the change and you'll do fine!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Default why?

stonaok - what is it that is making you return? Why don't you like it or warmed up to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio