Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:37 PM

925 posts, read 1,228,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
"White" and "black" aren't nationalities.

There is indeed a large proportion of hispanics, some who are Mexican Nationals and many who are Americans.

If you're talking ethnicity, I think SA is ~58% hispanic. Small proportion of African-Americans.
What's humorous is that all Hispanics have "white" listed on their birth certificate. The humorous part being told one thing at birth and another in life. To me its all nonsense and so backward to have that even matter. It's one thing ethnicity or nationality which to me should be personal and not a standard public question one has to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 70,761 times
Here's my opinion. I've lived all over San Antonio. I have to say that the North West and North parts of San Antonio are really safe. Area's in the Fiesta Texas area are hot, but these are expensive places. I definately wouldn't call all parts of San Antonio safe. Some of these areas in the Eastside and Southside are ROUGH. And if you don't know the area I wouldn't fool around in them. Stay away from these areas at night completely. But you will be safe in the Northside, Northwest side and Downtown all times of the day though.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 PM

38 posts, read 113,634 times
No problems at all downtown, nor just south of downtown in the King William area and a little south of there. Been down here since the early 80's and never have felt any threats/seen any problems.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:06 PM

454 posts, read 505,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
What's humorous is that all Hispanics have "white" listed on their birth certificate. The humorous part being told one thing at birth and another in life. To me its all nonsense and so backward to have that even matter. It's one thing ethnicity or nationality which to me should be personal and not a standard public question one has to answer.
I'm not at all bothered about questions re: my ethnicity. My ethnic heritage is not obvious and many people are curious just because - I don't think it's generally asked so people can assign a stereotype to me but out of genuine curiousity because it's interesting.

When asked my nationality, however, I am a little more hesitant to answer because it's when I'm abroad and people are not always so fond of Americans and DO assign me to a stereotype which I don't like. So I often don't like answering the question. Alas, my American accent gives me away.

Ethnicity I'm always happy to share.

All that said, it's clear from this post that the author does wish to assign a stereotype based on ethnicity. Unfortunately.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tec123 View Post
Here's my opinion. I've lived all over San Antonio. I have to say that the North West and North parts of San Antonio are really safe. Area's in the Fiesta Texas area are hot, but these are expensive places. I definately wouldn't call all parts of San Antonio safe. Some of these areas in the Eastside and Southside are ROUGH. And if you don't know the area I wouldn't fool around in them. Stay away from these areas at night completely. But you will be safe in the Northside, Northwest side and Downtown all times of the day though.
I've lived just south of downtown since 2002, have walked everywhere at night, often alone. Never a problem. No house break ins either.

on the other hand, friends in one of the gated communities on the northside have been plagued by break ins.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I live within 410 and I don't go about with a pocket knife. Please don't speak for an area larger than Rhode Island.
I often have my pocket knife on me when I'm out and about in Southtown: I never know when I'm going to need to my corkscrew to open a bottle of wine or the knife to slice some cheese.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:10 PM

841 posts, read 1,748,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
I often have my pocket knife on me when I'm out and about in Southtown: I never know when I'm going to need to my corkscrew to open a bottle of wine or the knife to slice some cheese.
This quote made my day. I just love it when people use humor to remind us that we just need to relax. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZiler8r View Post
I was just wondering what is there more of in SA? Whites, Mexicans, puerto ricans if any, blacks?

Only reason I ask is because once again, coming from Orlando there's been nothing but Puerto Ricans (mainly) and other culture groups migrating to Central FL.

Don't take any offense please, I'm hispanic myself! I guess one of the main reasons we're leaving Central FL is because we don't really feel it being "safe" anymore.

Just trying to see how San Antonio is in being safe. Are you able to walk through Downtown SA at 11PM any day of the week and feel safe, or anywhere near the city?

There is no NATIONALITY here EXCEPT American. SAn Antonio is VERY American, unlike mexifornia where illegals have taken over many middle class jobs. that is one good thing about sa.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
This quote made my day. I just love it when people use humor to remind us that we just need to relax. Thanks.
You're welcome. It also happens to be true

Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,996,643 times
Actually, for the most part San Antonio is full of TEXANS, which is one of the reasons we moved here. Either you are one, or you want to be one. If you are not sure of what that means, read this.

About the most dangerous thing in the city is driving, and even that should start decreasing as much like Washington D.C., the traffic congestion will eventually start slowing everyone down!

And a pocketknife for self-defense? Let us know how that goes.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio