Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:44 PM

258 posts, read 324,824 times

Advertisements

The numbers speak for themselves. No need to defend them. Bottom line SA is number 4 busiest home market in the US. Texas continues to dominate and lead the recession and housing recovery.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 PM

2,746 posts, read 6,126,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
The numbers speak for themselves. No need to defend them. Bottom line SA is number 4 busiest home market in the US. Texas continues to dominate and lead the recession and housing recovery.
Exactly, it doesn't matter if the S.A. market may be weakening in certain areas it still is building and the 4th busiest stacked up against all the other metro's. Its a sign of a strong economy!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 19,014,302 times
I certainly wouldn't label it as strong. Maybe recovering better than others. Kindly remember in the heyday of KB Homes they were starting 18 house a day one year but their average starts were 15 a day. At 15 starts a day that's 3900 homes, over half of the production rate rate we are now at. And that's just one builder. Add in Horton, Ryland, and a host of others and the housing market here is still in the tank. Just not near as bad as it is in other parts of the US. Might also want to know that in 2007, Bexar County new construction for residential homes was over 40,000 units closed.......again, that's NEW homes, not the used home market.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM

Well strong is the opposite of weak. I will go with strong in describing the market.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,495,530 times
When you have a housing market that remains ''stable" or better in THIS market...it is strong.

I have always told folks the GREAT thing about the SA market is you do NOT see the crazy, unsustaniable double your value in 2 yrs kind of growth, but it is stable, constant and reliable. For those that elected to buy in the 2 yrs later you house is worth double what you paid markets....THERE is volitality. Depending on your timing, sometimes ya win...sometimes ya lose. Again, it is the BANKS and their overextension of what they have that is the issue....that is why, when you drive around SA, you will see BANK BRANCHES boarded up and closed vs homes......

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

With that said...WHO is being sensative about statements Moderator cut: not permitted

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-21-2012 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: refer to other members by their screen names only

Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 AM

106 posts, read 153,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
Sorry, but busiest does not translate to "strong". Again, just because NEW home construction is still going on, that does not mean housing is strong. Also, do you realize that multi-family construction is part of the "new" numbers? You have LOTS of that going up.
Moderator cut: orphaned... I am the spouse of a military officer, who moved here to support her career. I was not HERE during the boom time. This bank did not participate in the creative financing which caused so many problems. HUD is a big reason that San Antonio has problems. The fast "fixes" since the crash, courtesy of the current administration, have only caused this to drag on. For SA to turn around, we need to start reducing rentals and get the '05-08 buyers able to sell, and get some good paying jobs here. The average salary here should be higher; we want to see no more than 25% of your take-home go to mortgage.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-21-2012 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM

The banking/financing problem was a national disaster. SA faired "well" in comparison to other U.S. cities. Some U.S. cities had huge amounts of foreclosures. TEXAS as a whole again faired well. The TEXAS market is STRONG versus weak in comparison.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM

Banking/financing was defintely part of the problem. However, you must realize the federal government (think HUD) pressured banks to put people of minority races and lower socio-economic backgrounds in to homes they really never could afford. This is where creative financing originated from; quotas had to look "good" on paper. I am also seeing the residual from appraisal fraud, as well. The blame, so to speak, can be spread many places.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,832,903 times

MOD Note:

Folks, stick to the topic of the thread:

Re
: San Antonio is the 4th Busiest Housing Market in the U.S. Today

Any discussion about any banking/financial/housing issues at the National level or at the Texas level does NOT belong in this thread or in this San Antonio Forum!

Back to Topic!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM

Forgive me for mentioning HUD, then, which is indeed a national program. However, I only meant it in respect to the SA housing market. It was during the tenure of Henry Cisneros that many of the easy lending policies were formulated which brought us to the so-called crash and its aftermath. If we want to just discuss how "busy" the SA market is, I'll agree it's "busy" and we'll leave it at that. I'm finishing up three files today for folks who want to purchase short-sales, so yes, it's busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio