Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM

170 posts, read 291,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaircedarbank View Post
It will benefit the MAJORITY of citizens? No, it's for a select group, or else you pay. Are the parents who receive free Pre-K going to have to prove they are out working, or are you ok with them sitting around the house at the expense of taxpayers?
HEAR, HEAR! We should kick students out of public high schools and elementary schools if their parents are unemployed also!!!!!11111oneone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM

106 posts, read 153,315 times
Ok, fair enough... how about they are at least TRYING to get a job so THEY can provide for their own children?

Old 09-06-2012, 08:52 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,891,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaircedarbank View Post
Ok, fair enough... how about they are at least TRYING to get a job so THEY can provide for their own children?
Right because everyone inside the loop does not work. Let us just defund all the road maintenance here too since you guys never drive down here anyway except for the two of you who work down here.

Any more false stereotypes you wish to share?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 AM

4,443 posts, read 5,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Right because everyone inside the loop does not work. Let us just defund all the road maintenance here too since you guys never drive down here anyway except for the two of you who work down here.

The so called "undeserved" has been getting benefits for a loooooooonnnnngggg time and we have nothing to show for it. NOTHING. If these programs resulted in positive improvement of the kids lives then I'd be all for. Did you not read the express new opinion piece? I basically free pre-k will be a waste of money.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The so called "undeserved" has been getting benefits for a loooooooonnnnngggg time and we have nothing to show for it. NOTHING. If these programs resulted in positive improvement of the kids lives then I'd be all for. Did you not read the express new opinion piece? I basically free pre-k will be a waste of money.
Someone has lost the plot. School is a benefit now? Might as well cancel Cafe College too since we are also paying for that and school is just another entitlement, right?

No, seriously, I did not read the opinion peace or get swayed from an AM morning talk show. I read the article where 7 former mayors support this because it is good for the city overall. A rising tide lifts all boats. Enjoy your prosperity.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,176,294 times
Quote:
No, seriously, I did not read the opinion peace or get swayed from an AM morning talk show. I read the article where seven ex-mayors support this.
OTOH an ex-County Commissioner, who's now a state representative and an ex-City Council rep who's now a County Commissioner that they don't support the mayor's pet project.

Texas Public Radio - TPR News

City Council and the mayor's office are officially non-partisan, but it's a good bet that these two are members of a different political party than the 7 ex-mayors.

I became opposed to it when I heard from a NEISD official that this tax will fund FULL-DAY pre-K, versus the HALF-DAY programs that local school districts currently operate, because research showed the districts that half-day programs are the most cost-effective. If the Pre-K 4 SA program is so well thought-out, why did the city choose to blaze its own trail, go against the conventional wisdom and fund a full-day initiative? Mayor Castro has never addressed this disparity AFAIK.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,417,151 times
Quote:
There are plenty of taxes that benefit certain groups and do not equally serve everyone.

Yes it is only when these taxes are meant to help a traditionally under served part of the community, which were never served before, and now that we are starting to help all sectors equally (thanks Julian Castro & company), is when the same two or three city councilpersons and a minority of citizens complain.

Sadly it seems the opposition has some unstated undercurrents that others cannot take seriously or stand for. If their(sic) was(were) more uniformity in the small choir of complaint where they would complain every time a new tax was proposed maybe it would seem different but it only seems when our city wants to help us that they complain.
The issue still not addressed is, where does this do something Head Start does not do except provide a full day of day care? Head Start is to serve this underserved part of the community just not in the way Mayor Castro wants to socially engineer it.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: repaired quote tags

Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,375,333 times
Quote:

Your readiness to resort to stereotypes while accusing others of the same is sort of amusing. There are many of us that live outside the city limits but work downtown or close to downtown. I don't think anyone has said that they think inner loopers do not work.

I don't see the link between your association of the new pre-K initiative and public schools or infrastructure other than they are both provided with tax revenues. There is not a state or federal requirement for pre-K as a condition of completing a recognized K-12 education. We already have public schools, K-12 that provide a free education to students. There are also local pre-K programs offered free of charge to certain segments of the population, military families being one of said groups. The question is why increase taxes to pay for a program that already exists? Pre-K is already out there, in every single ISD, what is the value added of this redundant program?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
OTOH an ex-County Commissioner, who's now a state representative and an ex-City Council rep who's now a County Commissioner that they don't support the mayor's pet project.

Texas Public Radio - TPR News

City Council and the mayor's office are officially non-partisan, but it's a good bet that these two are members of a different political party than the 7 ex-mayors.

I became opposed to it when I heard from a NEISD official that this tax will fund FULL-DAY pre-K, versus the HALF-DAY programs that local school districts currently operate, because research showed the districts that half-day programs are the most cost-effective. If the Pre-K 4 SA program is so well thought-out, why did the city choose to blaze its own trail, go against the conventional wisdom and fund a full-day initiative? Mayor Castro has never addressed this disparity AFAIK.
It is not a pet project by the definition of the phrase since it is widely endorsed but I understand some views favor rhetoric instead of facts.

Quote:
The proposal has the support of local business and education leaders, including Joe Robles, the president and chief executive of USAA; Charles Butt, the chairman and chief executive of H-E-B; John Folks, the superintendent of the Northside Independent School District, and Ana Guzmán, the president of Palo Alto College.
San Antonio May Seek Tax to Support Full-Day Pre-K — Public Education | The Texas Tribune

Regarding the unnamed official at NEISD who showed skepticism, do you believe they are more qualified than the above individuals in assessing the program for its academic merit and benefit to the community, or do you feel as if they are more mindful of what benefits their special interests alone?

Do you have any links to the research you claim that half-day programs are more cost-effective? Most will disagree with your unsubstantiated assertions.

It truly seems that every angle is being used to oppose this issue but usually when their is such a long list of grievances they are only in the form of dancing around a more honest and unstated grievance.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,824,520 times

Fallon dead-on (and funny) in impression of Mayor Castro

Did anyone else see this last night? Was really uncanny just how much he (Fallon) looked just like Mayor Castro!

Definitely are Mayor Castro's days in the media limelight, enjoy the positive vibes, SA!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio