Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:14 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,355,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I don't need representation in SA. I'm in Austin. Duh
Its a sales tax. Since San Antonio will not let suburban cities incorporate nor annex more land (inside it EJT) 95% of the metro population will be subject to it. So since it matters to anyone buying something in San Antonio they have every right to complain and campaign against it! They even have the right to fight it. with funds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,881,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post

Fallon dead-on (and funny) in impression of Mayor Castro

Did anyone else see this last night? Was really uncanny just how much he (Fallon) looked just like Mayor Castro!

Definitely are Mayor Castro's days in the media limelight, enjoy the positive vibes, SA!

Oh wow this was great and to be parodied speaks volumes in itself. Great find and post.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,134,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
It is not a pet project by the definition of the phrase since it is widely endorsed but I understand some views favor rhetoric instead of facts.

San Antonio May Seek Tax to Support Full-Day Pre-K — Public Education | The Texas Tribune

Regarding the unnamed official at NEISD who showed skepticism, do you believe they are more qualified than the above individuals in assessing the program for its academic merit and benefit to the community, or do you feel as if they are more mindful of what benefits their special interests alone?
I believe the handpicked committee got caught up in the mayor's reality-distortion field and ultimately endorsed whatever proposal he steered it to endorse. As for who's more qualified to judge, I don't know enough about the people on the committee to compare apples-to-apples. I've read the arguments for the plan and I find them lean on specifics.

I did find it intriguing that when my city council rep dared to challenge what Joe Robles was saying on the dais, when this grand plan was unveiled, she was accused of being disrespectful to a military veteran. She hardly said another critical word about the project after being figuratively shouted down. She even voted for the measure to put it on the ballot. Maybe the committee was designed to be so eminent as to be above criticism?

Quote:
Do you have any links to the research you claim that half-day programs are more cost-effective? Most will disagree with your unsubstantiated assertions.

It truly seems that every angle is being used to oppose this issue but usually when their is such a long list of grievances they are only in the form of dancing around a more honest and unstated grievance.
I don't have links. I'm not an education expert. The official at NEISD is an expert. I trust his view. The district actually has a shot at getting money from the project and competing to open one of the "centers of excellence," so it's not simply a case of criticizing a project because NEISD won't benefit from it.

I may not convince you to oppose this plan, but I'm explaining why I oppose this plan. I think the city can find better uses for tax dollars.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,321,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Its a sales tax. Since San Antonio will not let suburban cities incorporate nor annex more land (inside it EJT) 95% of the metro population will be subject to it. So since it matters to anyone buying something in San Antonio they have every right to complain and campaign against it! They even have the right to fight it. with funds.
Never said that they didn't have the right to fight it. I'm just saying SA should not bow down to its suburbs.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,014,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
An interesting read. No matter what your politics, this week is sure to have San Antonio in the spotlight:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/us...&smid=fb-share

My favorite quote:

"San Antonio has become a kind of Berkeley of the Southwest, a progressive, economically vibrant and Democratic-leaning city of 1.3 million in Republican-dominated Texas."

I like the sentiment, but it's a bit of an exaggeration, to say the least.
"Berkeley of the Southwest" sounds more like Austin.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,355,605 times
Quote:
Never said that they didn't have the right to fight it. I'm just saying SA should not bow down to its suburbs.
Then I guess we agree. I live in the city limits and will vote no on Castro's pet project and Hope he comes back with a better though out idea. Spending twice the amount per kid per hour on pre-k than the public schools seems a little stupid.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,321,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Then I guess we agree. I live in the city limits and will vote no on Castro's pet project and Hope he comes back with a better though out idea. Spending twice the amount per kid per hour on pre-k than the public schools seems a little stupid.
Like I said, I'm an Austinite; I could care less about SA politics/issues. Vote how you want.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,946,996 times
I wonder if the Castro boys are going to be hurt over their mothers comments at the DNC. She said the defenders at the Alamo were a bunch of drunks and crooks. Wonder if there will be any negative responses to their political futures because of mom.
Mother of Dem convention star Castro called Alamo defenders 'drunks,' 'crooks'

Read more: Mother of Dem convention star Castro called Alamo defenders 'drunks,' 'crooks' | Fox News

Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 AM

431 posts, read 930,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I wonder if the Castro boys are going to be hurt over their mothers comments at the DNC. She said the defenders at the Alamo were a bunch of drunks and crooks. Wonder if there will be any negative responses to their political futures because of mom.
Mother of Dem convention star Castro called Alamo defenders 'drunks,' 'crooks'

Read more: Mother of Dem convention star Castro called Alamo defenders 'drunks,' 'crooks' | Fox News
Yeah I remember reading that article, I'd expect nothing less from a member of La Raza. That's one group of people with a really flawed logic.

As to the topic article I think they have San Anton mixed up with Austin as someone else already stated. Berkeley and Austin have much more in common. Not to mention Austin leans a lot more to the left vs San Antonio. As to Castro good for him and the city getting some press I guess. Honestly I don't see anything great about the guy, nor did I vote for him. He was funny during the NBA playoffs, but other than that hes just a typical run of the mill mayor.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,371,432 times
Quote:
Like I said, I'm an Austinite; I could care less about SA politics/issues. Vote how you want.
If you could care less, then why comment so frequently on thread in the San Antonio forum addressing issues specific to San Antonio? You post comments disagreeing with points of view offered by locals, then when they respond, you say you could care less, you are an Austinite. If you are purely concerned with issues impacting the Austin area, there is an entire thread dedicated to discussing those issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio