Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM

340 posts, read 586,559 times

Advertisements

Incredible news!

Quote:
On Jan. 10, the Express-News reported that if San Antonio is lucky enough to land the project, it would bring a minimum of 3,000 jobs over time to Port San Antonio on the Southwest Side, with average annual pay of at least $80,000.

Now here's the upper range: as many as 5,000 jobs paying as much as $100,000 on average.

And a couple of new tidbits, gleaned from sources close of the recruitment drive: spending to build a facility for R&D and manufacturing — believed to be a mix of commercial and military work — would exceed $1 billion, and the total economic impact would hit $28 billion over a 10-year period.
Officials chase after 'Bullet' and its $28 billion impact - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
While I am happy to read of a potential employer bringing jobs that are better than working in a call center, I wonder how many people who live in the city currently are qualified for the $100K jobs.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM

I'm sure there's a lot but why would that even be a concern. The jobs would be filled and our local economy stimulated greatly.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
I'm sure there's a lot but why would that even be a concern. The jobs would be filled and our local economy stimulated greatly.
It would be nice to have jobs to stave off the brain drain. Young San Antonians get their Bachelors' degrees and often the best entry-level option this city has to offer is call-center work. These $100K jobs are likely going to be for aerospace engineers and technicians - fields requiring highly specialized training.

Why can't we get more employers with $50K entry-level jobs that aren't in a STEM field?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It would be nice to have jobs to stave off the brain drain. Young San Antonians get their Bachelors' degrees and often the best entry-level option this city has to offer is call-center work. These $100K jobs are likely going to be for aerospace engineers and technicians - fields requiring highly specialized training.

Why can't we get more employers with $50K entry-level jobs that aren't in a STEM field?
We do get those jobs. They just come in large news worthy numbers. I think you're thinking too hard here. Trying something to be cynical about. This is incredibly great news if we land it.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
This would be good if we could land this, but it does matter if we have enough qualified workers. If we don't, then they'll choose another location for the project. Otherwise, it would end up like the IT industry here where experienced workers are imported from elsewhere and our locally-educated will have to move for entry-level positions. Also, if they do decide to locate here and cannot find enough qualified workers, they'll just leave.

Now, if associates degrees in airframe or aircraft technology from Hallmark College and St. Philip's College are acceptable to this company, then I'm sure they can round up enough people quickly. Hallmark College advertises that one can complete an associates degree in 14 months.

Now I'm curious about where all of these $50k+, entry-level, non-STEM jobs are.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
We do get those jobs. They just come in large news worthy numbers. I think you're thinking too hard here. Trying something to be cynical about. This is incredibly great news if we land it.
I'm sure that it's great news if you own a restaurant or sell real estate or aspire to open a coffee shop half a mile from the main gates of the aerospace plant. Those $100K aerospace folks will be great customers of yours.

Who it's not so great for is those of us with kids graduating from college with liberal arts degrees in the next 5 years who will need jobs.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM

500 posts, read 969,911 times
Quote:
I'm sure that it's great news if you own a restaurant or sell real estate or aspire to open a coffee shop half a mile from the main gates of the aerospace plant. Those $100K aerospace folks will be great customers of yours.

Who it's not so great for is those of us with kids graduating from college with liberal arts degrees in the next 5 years who will need jobs.
Also good news for suppliers, subcontractors, supplemental manufacturers, support services such as security, janitorial, equipment manufacturers, etc...

$28 billion is a pretty long and wide footprint looking past the initial job boost.

I fail to see logic in anyone not embracing this.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:54 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times
Anyway you look at it, people making 100K per year + spend money WHERE they live!!! Great news for those qualified in the job market, but even better news for the consumer section of SA to see more of those jobs become available. The number of folks with PhD or MD behind their names in this city are not nearly what they should be given the size of San Antonio. I see this as VERY positive news!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times
Quote:

Amen! Our daughter who has a degree in "Criminal Justice and Psychology" was lucky to land a great job with MCI and then transfer to Toyota Plant because of her work ethic and track record....I have to tell you how badly it hurts me to see these kids majoring in something they "think" is going to get them a job these days....all our others have majored in sciences and math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio