Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 12:45 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
It might not have occurred if prohibition was never repealed.

It might not have occurred if his parents didn't buy him a car and forced him to take the bus.

It might not have occurred if the cop brought his lunch, rather than going to Whataburger.

It might not have occurred if he ran over two pedestrians on Broadway, dumped his car on the side of the road, ran home, pretended to be asleep and denied knowing the whereabouts of his vehicle.

So what??
Well, I was merely commenting on one of the most direct causes of this sorry situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 03:07 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
If the kid had never been pulled over, this may have never happened.

Interesting to think about. And anyone who states that he could have killed someone while driving: look at where the shooting occurred. In his apartment parking lot. He obviously made it home, didn't he?

Not condoning drinking & driving here, merely making an observation.

One of the top 10 things I hear is "but I am almost home...."

What that actually means is they broke the law for about the maximum amount of time they could in this criminal act.

To be honest if we accept such things, we are accepting the argument of "but I am so close to getting away with it...!"

Most people would want to apply that to other things. For obvious example, say the guy who murdered your children was at the boarding gate about to get on a flight to country with no extradition to the US. Would any normal person think since there were so close to getting away with it they should be allowed to?

Old 12-13-2013, 05:47 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
One of the top 10 things I hear is "but I am almost home...."

What that actually means is they broke the law for about the maximum amount of time they could in this criminal act.

To be honest if we accept such things, we are accepting the argument of "but I am so close to getting away with it...!"

Most people would want to apply that to other things. For obvious example, say the guy who murdered your children was at the boarding gate about to get on a flight to country with no extradition to the US. Would any normal person think since there were so close to getting away with it they should be allowed to?
Are you seriously trying to draw a parallel between a minor traffic violation and murder?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:35 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Are you seriously trying to draw a parallel between a minor traffic violation and murder?
Many major crimes are solved because of the minor infractions the perps commit in sight of the law. Should we have a threshold of lawlessness before we allow the PD to react?

Old 12-13-2013, 08:41 AM

413 posts, read 741,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
I would love to know if he actually was breaking the law. There are a lot of accusations flying around. For all we know, he had a beer and was well under the limit. All we know is the story from one side, because the other side is dead.

Actually, no, it's doesn't even matter. That cop shot an unarmed student. There is no scenario where that is justified.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
I would love to know if he actually was breaking the law. There are a lot of accusations flying around. For all we know, he had a beer and was well under the limit. All we know is the story from one side, because the other side is dead.

Actually, no, it's doesn't even matter. That cop shot an unarmed student. There is no scenario where that is justified.
Wrong.

If the kid took the cops baton then he armed himself with the cops equipment. If he took the baton then it is plausible to think he could have taken the gun...

Old 12-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
All of these are contributing factors that, if changed, may have caused a different outcome. The primary cause was the fact the person (allegedly) fought with the officer, beat him with his baton, and likely charged him while he was at gunpoint.

Being fat, no tazer, no pepper spray and no camera are the fault of the University. They have set the officer up to fail by allowing these conditions to exist.
The university is to blame for him being fat? Wow. Like someone else said, this never would have happened if this fat cop wasn't coming back from Whataburger.

Who said the student fought with the cop, other than the cop himself, who has zero credibility in my eyes? I haven't seen any photos of cuts or bruises on the officer. I haven't heard from a single witness who saw the student attacking anyone. Nobody who saw him holding a baton. Nobody saw him charge the cop.

Forget what you've heard from this cop and let's work with actual facts. All we have is a cop with a questionable background, completely out of shape and in no condition to be on patrol, without non-lethal weapons, without a working camera, who has no idea what city he's in to call for backup, who shot an unarmed honors student 5 times. Nobody has published a tox screen saying that he was high or drunk.

I do have acquaintances who work at UIW who have had interactions with the cop in question, and they have nothing but bad things to say about him.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Wrong.

If the kid took the cops baton then he armed himself with the cops equipment. If he took the baton then it is plausible to think he could have taken the gun...
It's possible the sky is purple too, but I tend not to deal with hypotheticals. The is no evidence that the student ever reached for the gun, let alone had the gun, and there's not even any proof that the student ever had the baton.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
The university is to blame for him being fat?
They hired him.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
When did possibly drinking and driving become a "minor traffic violation?"

And how do you know it's "murder"? It could have easily be justifiable.

It's random speculation like that which shows how people jump to conclusions without any evidence whatsoever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio