Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times

Advertisements

Well, did anyone get out to try the new deli? If so, a review is in order, don't ya think?

Old 03-29-2008, 11:59 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I'm interested in hearing about it too. I didn't make it up there this weekend.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:33 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
I didn't get out the house this weekend 'til this afternoon and that was to go to a barbeque.

BUT...I'd love to hear if anyone made it to the deli and what they thought of it.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:51 AM

3 posts, read 8,756 times
I tried it out last Saturday night with my husband and son. Granted, it was their 3rd day open, so they were still working the kinks out, but we waited almost an hour for an egg salad sandwich, a reuben, and macaroni and cheese. I had really wanted to have a bowl of matzo ball soup, but they were out, plus it would have cost $6.30 before tax for a bowl of soup. 40 minutes into the wait we were told it would be another 20 minutes for the mac n cheese, so we switched to a hamburger. The bill was $28 for two sandwiches, two sodas, and a kid's meal. Nothing came with the sandwiches-it would have been extra.

On the positive side-once the food arrived, it was outstanding. I know that once they are open a bit longer and get their staff trained, the wait time will improve, but the prices are outrageous. If I had brought my other son with me that night, our bill would have been $35 for sandwiches and sodas. No matter how good the food is, that's hard to justify. I know they fly in a lot of food from New York, but I still think they need to charge their customers San Antonio prices, not New York prices!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 AM

15 posts, read 106,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
That's interesting. I wonder how far back the Jewish population dates in San Antonio. I know that many Jews did come to the US in the mid 1800s from Germany. I guess some of them might have made their way to Texas.
Yes, San Antonio has a rich Jewish history, although it is not as well noted or written about in the mainstream media.

There was a section downtown, called 'little jerusalem' with retail, general, and clothing stores, at their height in the 1870's onward. What business that are left today have moved out to the suburbia malls, sadly, like all downtown areas in major cities.

Although one thinks of San Antonio as 'hispanic' there was a significant German & German Jewish population that mingled with the upper & middle class Mexican American families.

Also, some Hispanic families, although Catholic now, have a Jewish heritage, and still have rituals incorporated into their families from Jewish traditions. It is thought that a lot of this came down the family lines, from the 'I think it was called "convertos", or some similar name', when the rulers in Spain were expelling Jewish Spainards, but allowed one to stay, if one converted to Catholicism.

If I remember correctly, Mexico was also a safe harbor for many convertos from Spain.

San Antonio has a museum SE of downtown near the Hemisphere Tower, which celebrates all the various ethnic groups that came to Texas, called the Institute of Texan Cultures. There is a four day festival near the first weekend in June on the grounds, with various groups, food, & music entertainment. Inside the museum, there are displays
of each group, and a section on the Texas Jews.

You can probably do some google searchs to find out more information. (I love history).
appreciatively,
sotxag62

Last edited by sotxag62; 04-04-2008 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: update

Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotxag62 View Post
Yes, San Antonio has a rich Jewish history, although it is not as well noted or written about in the mainstream media.

There was a section downtown, called 'little jerusalem' with retail, general, and clothing stores, at their height in the 1870's onward. What business that are left today have moved out to the suburbia malls, sadly, like all downtown areas in major cities.

Although one thinks of San Antonio as 'hispanic' there was a significant German & German Jewish population that mingled with the upper & middle class Mexican American families.

Also, some Hispanic families, although Catholic now, have a Jewish heritage, and still have rituals incorporated into their families from Jewish traditions. It is thought that a lot of this came down the family lines, from the 'I think it was called "convertos", or some similar name', when the rulers in Spain were expelling Jewish Spainards, but allowed one to stay, if one converted to Catholicism.

If I remember correctly, Mexico was also a safe harbor for many convertos from Spain.

San Antonio has a museum SE of downtown near the Hemisphere Tower, which celebrates all the various ethnic groups that came to Texas, called the Institute of Texan Cultures. There is a four day festival near the first weekend in June on the grounds, with various groups, food, & music entertainment. Inside the museum, there are displays
of each group, and a section on the Texas Jews.

You can probably do some google searchs to find out more information. (I love history).
appreciatively,
sotxag62

And, the good news is, admission is free this Sunday from noon to 5pm. April 6th, 2008. (for the Institute of Texan Cultures)
UTSA's Institute of Texan Cultures Home Page

Last edited by sapphire; 04-04-2008 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Thank you for the review Goldgirl and hopefully they get those kinks worked out quick, otherwise I do not see them surviviing long.. I will definitely have to try it since you said the food was really good and although the prices do seem pretty outrageous, I would pay some extra $ to get the kind of sandwich I have been waiting over 20 years for...
Did you happen to notice if they cooked the bagels in the store? that would make a huge difference for me, because very few things taste as good as a fresh out of the oven bagel.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 PM

136 posts, read 569,162 times
Any more opinions on Marty's ?

-Steve

Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 AM

a coworker of mine went this weekend and said the food was outstanding, but the high prices didn't make it worth it. I don't know where they're getting those prices from either. Maybe they think they're in California or something? I still want to try it, but the location isn't friendly at all and the amount of gas I would use makes the cost even higher..

Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM

136 posts, read 569,162 times
I'll chime in to my own Question, I have been there. I'm glad they're here, but I think they'll need to make changes to stay, especially the prices. Food better than anything similar in SA (not that there really is anything similar in SA), not as good as Chicago or New York, and HIGHER prices. We eat at a fabulous deli in a very expensive suburb of Chicago (when visiting family), directly next door to a Lord & Taylor, the food is better and the prices are cheaper. And they give you at least cole slaw with your sandwich. Not at Marty's we payed like 1.69 for 4oz (supposedly) of Cole Slaw (w/raisins and dried cranberries in it!!! ) I Want them to make it, I really do, but I don't think this market can handle those prices, they need to lower them (& not the food quality). Bowl of chicken soup w/1 Matzo Ball is like $6.30, prices are just crazy (that price gives you a QUART of soup in Chicago w/Challah. )

-Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio