Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

The coworker mentioned the cole slaw with rasberries in it and that didn't sound appealing to me at all.. He also had a theory that maybe they are from New York and were used to New York prices or something like that. They definitely need to review them because that can negatively impact their future

Old 04-18-2008, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,906 times
Anyone recommend a good jewish book store in the SA area?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,096 times
Thumbs up Marty's NY Deli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauben2007 View Post
Any more opinions on Marty's ?

-Steve
caught your question on that new deli over in Stone Oak at the old EZ's place. I went about a week after opening and the wait wasn't too bad...at least not any longer than Subway or Quizno's...but your right about the prices being kind of high for the area...but man the food was good...I ended up with a basic club sandwich on fresh baked challah bread...the kids liked the black & white cookies they had..

I have a friend who lives over that way and has been back a couple times...he said they just lowered their prices and changed up the menu with some new items...looks like I'll be checking them out again...maybe this weekend...

Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanKG View Post
Yup, that's where the Chinese restaurant (Beijing) serves hot and sour soup with out pork. Always a giveaway that you're in a Jewish neighborhood!
or muslim...

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauben2007 View Post
I'll chime in to my own Question, I have been there. I'm glad they're here, but I think they'll need to make changes to stay, especially the prices. Food better than anything similar in SA (not that there really is anything similar in SA), not as good as Chicago or New York, and HIGHER prices. We eat at a fabulous deli in a very expensive suburb of Chicago (when visiting family), directly next door to a Lord & Taylor, the food is better and the prices are cheaper. And they give you at least cole slaw with your sandwich. Not at Marty's we payed like 1.69 for 4oz (supposedly) of Cole Slaw (w/raisins and dried cranberries in it!!! ) I Want them to make it, I really do, but I don't think this market can handle those prices, they need to lower them (& not the food quality). Bowl of chicken soup w/1 Matzo Ball is like $6.30, prices are just crazy (that price gives you a QUART of soup in Chicago w/Challah. )

-Steve
and they didn't survive. Today's Taste section says they are closed. It's a shame to lose a place with good food like that, but their prices were insane.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
The HEB on NW Military and Huebner has a large kosher section.
As long as we're updating this thread for newcomers, it's worth noting that that HEB has now closed. The largest kosher section in an HEB is now said to be at the Alon Town Centre store at NW Military and Wurzbach, across from the Jewish Community Center.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:25 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
No, not many Jews in SA. 9200 to be exact according to the latest poll sponsored by the Jewish Federation of San Antonio.

The kosher section in the old HEB, #42 and the new one in Alon Town Centre are both the only places to get kosher foods in town.

Green is the only kosher restaurant.

The new "kosher" deli is in fact not kosher, they serve kosher "style" which includes no pork. The meat is not kosher and they kix meat and milk which again, is not kosher.

There are really just about 5 temples here.

Chabad and Rodfei are Orthodox.
Then there is Agudas and Beth El.
Beth Am meets in a local Church for High Holy Days only.

There is not a Jewish book store but the JCC does have an annual book festival and offers an online bookstore of over 500 Jewish authors.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:45 AM

40 posts, read 174,437 times
what is the name of the neighborhood where Rodfai Shalom is and could anyone tell me about it?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:39 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,858 times
That's a nice part of town. I think that subdivision is Warwick Farms, but I could be wrong. It's outside 410 but inside 1604, and close to I-10. Also it's near to the new Alon center, which has the new HEB with, according to my friend who is Jewish, one of the best Kosher food selections he's ever seen.

That area is north of Castle Hills and southish of Shavano Park and is middle to upper middle class. I am not sure what the school district is, as the people I know who live in the area (in Whispering Oaks) send their kids to St. Mathew's on Wurzbach. I'm assuming it's NISD but surely someone else will know for sure.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:29 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
No, not many Jews in SA. 9200 to be exact according to the latest poll sponsored by the Jewish Federation of San Antonio.
That number will likely grow being that I've heard that many Florida people are moving to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio