Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 06:35 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,197,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Tried to rep ya, gotta spread the love first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 PM

Oh, seeing this is Balcones Heights, you might include a bit of groveling with your plea. You may get more leniency from the judge that way......

Old 05-01-2016, 07:12 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,375 times
I agree, this is on the OP.

My concern is the variation in location and why it was done. Was it an honest mistake or did this officer deliberately falsify a document?
If it is the latter, what else in his job does he falsify, or will he in the future?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 AM

4,331 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I agree, this is on the OP.

My concern is the variation in location and why it was done. Was it an honest mistake or did this officer deliberately falsify a document?
If it is the latter, what else in his job does he falsify, or will he in the future?
The OP said the citation he got listed 4600 Fredericksburg Road as the address where the offense occurred/he was stopped, which was on the access road in front of Target, I gather? But I looked up that Target, and it's address is listed as 4522 Fredericksburg Road, and is the same for Wonderland Of The Americas Mall. So then, the 4600 block would be one more block north?

I guess he can go before the judge, and try to get it dismissed. But he's going to have to try to get them on a technicality, it sounds like. A vehicle registration is either current or expired, no gray area there.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,115 times
I do not think the OP was questioning his expired registration but the officer's being outside his jurisdiction.

I live where I live to not being harassed by rogue cops.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:29 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I do not think the OP was questioning his expired registration but the officer's being outside his jurisdiction.

Again, if OP were so certain because he knows that area (and works it) that the BH cop that stopped him was outside his jurisdiction, WHY did he not raise that question at the time he was pulled over?? That would have answered his question, but it appears he was trying to "wriggle" out of it by not saying anything, just as he professed he drove a different route to avoid BH area to begin with. It is a STATE requirement, not a BH, SA thing that he allowed to expire and is driving in TEXAS on. Maybe NM or AZ could now write a ticket for a TX requirement, but seems to me any LEO in TEXAS could.

Last edited by Paka; 05-01-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM

4,331 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
Since Balcones Heights reportedly is one of the ten municipalities that participates in the 200-yard reciprocal agreement with San Antonio, it sounds like the officer was within his authority to stop the motorist, when he entered that extraterritorial zone, assuming "just before the Loop 410 overpass" was within that 200-yard zone. Then, he stops on the access road (in front of Target?), which would certainly be within 200 yards.

So, the question becomes, exactly at what point did the officer attempt to stop the motorist, and is that point within 200 yards of BH city limits, and did the officer correctly note the exact block number on Fredericksburg Road where this occurred? Does the citation have to reflect where the officer first noticed the violation, or the point where the motorist crossed over the 200-yard boundary line?

I saw a Bexar County Constable initiate a traffic stop last night on I-10 eastbound near Medical Dr. Was that Constable within his jurisdiction to stop a motorist in SAPD territory?

That's why I say if the OP wants to try to challenge this, it's going to have to be on technical grounds.
Quote:
You can choose to live where cops aren't rogue, but the question is, where do you travel? There is a section of Loop 410, between Blanco and Jackson-Keller, that is within Castle Hills City Limits. A portion of Bandera Road cuts through Leon Valley, then up the road a bit, Helotes.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:33 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
I can't remember exactly how this works with municipal police departments, but under the Texas Education Code, peace officers at educational institutions have primary jurisdiction throughout any county in which the institution owns, rents, or leases property. They are allowed to enforce all traffic laws on streets and highways.

Texas Education Code - EDUC § 51.203 | FindLaw

I have had city police officers tell me that they have jurisdiction throughout their counties, but I can't find the applicable law. All I could find is an old court case that made the decision that city police officers have the same jurisdiction as the county sheriff's office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post

I saw a Bexar County Constable initiate a traffic stop last night on I-10 eastbound near Medical Dr. Was that Constable within his jurisdiction to stop a motorist in SAPD territory?
It is my understanding that their jurisdiction is county-wide. Even if they were limited to their precincts, the precincts divide up the whole county, not just the unincorporated areas. In other words, every city is going to be covered by one precinct or another.

Last edited by L210; 05-01-2016 at 11:42 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 12:58 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,355 times
I guess what I would do is take a picture from the road from where you were ticketed, where the address on the ticket is, and where the cop was sitting.

One time my brother was able to get out of a ticket for blowing through a stop sign because he took a picture from where the cop was sitting at the time and showed to judge that the cop didn't have line of sight vision.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Constables and Sheriffs have jurisdiction both in the city and countywide, while Police have jurisdiction in their respective city only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio