Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:33 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,155 times

Advertisements

Great Post Eliot Nesh. Cleared the air rather suddenly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Many of those agreements have to do with the jurisdiction of a court, not the officer.

A courts jurisdiction does not extend past its territorial limits (such as a city limit) While in Texas, an officers can, but he would have to file the case/citation in the court that has jurisdiction where the event happened. Lots of political subdivisions and their associated courts have agreements that overlap court jurisdiction a little.

It helps eliminate the absurdity of a cop standing at his city limits and someone standing a foot past that committing a crime and while the cop can take action, now he has to deal with a court he is unfamiliar with. It also helps with issues of jurisdiction, which can actually be a pain in the butt. It happens rather regularly. "what is the exact point of the offence" or two cops from two jurisdictions arguing over if a certain area is in who's jurisdiction. Think of a small hit and run in a parking lot that the city limits runs through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 03:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Great Post Eliot Nesh. Cleared the air rather suddenly.
Yeah, people get all riled up because they know how they feel but do not often understand what is actually happening.

Overlapping court jurisdictions by some set amount of distance is a visual rule and a very logical one. The cop has jurisdiction everywhere. The State of Texas grants a cop his powers. However, since the town of whatever is paying the cop to police the city limits of whatever, the cop has little reason to actively police outside of the city limits.

If the officer is doing the job we pay him to do, he should be policing the entire city, right up to the city limits. At that point, the fine folks of the city of whatever are not paying him to police past that point but there is a very real visual amount of space beyond that. If he sees something, he is bound, in most cases, to act. He certainly has the legal powers to do so. Overlapping Jurisdictions laws that blur the lines at the edges make that a lot easier process within the courts, that again, otherwise would have very hard line boundaries in terms of their jurisdiction.

There is also the reality that many boundaries are fairly wild. If you look at a map of political subdivisions, gerrymandering, odd zoning from years past, ownership issues and a host of other things makes for funny boundaries. Some officers, in the normal course of their duties, have no choice but to cross various boundaries in and out of the political subdivision they work for.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:41 PM

66 posts, read 166,091 times
For an update I did just take care of it, and got a dash cam. If the cop believed he was in his jurisdiction he should have put 5000 Fredericksburg on the ticket instead of lying about the address of the stop. Either way if Balcones pd starts following me down Fred Rd again I'm taking an unexpected detour into oak hills, safely away from that magic line

Old 07-12-2016, 11:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyDY4 View Post
For an update I did just take care of it, and got a dash cam. If the cop believed he was in his jurisdiction he should have put 5000 Fredericksburg on the ticket instead of lying about the address of the stop. Either way if Balcones pd starts following me down Fred Rd again I'm taking an unexpected detour into oak hills, safely away from that magic line

I don't think you understand how all this works.

There is no magic line. The cop has jurisdiction every where in the state. There is also the legal principle of "what one of us knows, we all know." Which is a mechanism that overcomes all magic lines. If Cop A sees you do something, he can tell Cop B, who did not see it, but is in a circumstance to take action. It does not matter if they work for the same agency or not. Again, the State of Texas is the political body that grants a Texas peace officer his license.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:06 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times
Dash cam, eh? With all due respect - if you were as zealous about ensuring your car met legal standards, none of this would have happened.

But....you knew that, didn't ya.......

Old 07-13-2016, 07:49 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
What is wrong with using a dash cam even if the car is legit?

I have always considered getting one myself. I know cops don't like being videotaped but if they are not doing anything wrong then they shouldn't have any issue with it. They know that, right?

Also, I think dashcams are good to have in case you get into an accident. This way you can prove it was not your fault if that is the case.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
What is wrong with using a dash cam even if the car is legit?

I have always considered getting one myself. I know cops don't like being videotaped but if they are not doing anything wrong then they shouldn't have any issue with it. They know that, right?

Also, I think dashcams are good to have in case you get into an accident. This way you can prove it was not your fault if that is the case.
Nothing at all wrong with 'em. Have considered one, myself. But in this instance, it would have done the OP absolutely no good. Having the registration renewed when due WOULD have.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:55 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,033,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Nothing at all wrong with 'em. Have considered one, myself. But in this instance, it would have done the OP absolutely no good. Having the registration renewed when due WOULD have.

The other thing to do would be to get rid of stickers & registrations & inspections & sucking money out of our pockets. Alas, there would be negative repercussions out there on the roads.

Anyways, anyone looking at a dashcam, I highly recommend the South Korean FineVu CR500-HD. It's awesome, I love it!!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
The other thing to do would be to get rid of stickers & registrations & inspections & sucking money out of our pockets. Alas, there would be negative repercussions out there on the roads.
Sure - after all who cares if the car barreling up behind you at the stop light has working brakes......

Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post

Anyways, anyone looking at a dashcam, I highly recommend the South Korean FineVu CR500-HD. It's awesome, I love it!!
I am not sure if I agree with doing away with Inspection sticker BUT do wish registration was just a one-time thing for the entire time one owns the car. Too much money to give up for that idea to be implemented though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio