Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 PM

8 posts, read 37,526 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been searching all day, but I can't find much (point me in the right direction if I am wrong) so I am coming to you with a question.

So, I am currently a PR/marketing professional here in Manhattan and I decided last month to re-locate to San Antonio to be closer to family (both my parents who are retired military and my sister and her husband all re-located to SA in the past 6 years). Fast forward a few weeks into my job search and I have a contingent offer for a great marketing position at USAA.

My issue is I am concerned about the background check over I have 3 items:
-In 2016, I was detained (fancy for arrested, gotta love that PR spin) at LaGuardia because I forgot I was carrying my taser. It is illegal to carry a taser in NYC and I was charged and finger-printed. I eventually got an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (ACD) and that case is sealed. When I pull my criminal records from NY, it comes back with 0 records
-In 2009, I was on unemployment in the state of California (where I am from) and they filed a civil case against me because I literally forgot about it and was moving around quite a bit (yes, I was dumb, I was also like, 20). I paid the judgement off and the record is off of my credit reports.
-I have a city government job that I think I put the wrong end-date on for my resume. I thought I worked April 2011-March 2012, but I was looking through old emails for something else and I may have been working there as late as May 2012 (it was part time, marketing and events work, so it was sporadic). Honest mistake.

My question is - if YOU are employed at USAA does the above raise any flags based on your experience with the background check? Should I just disclose the above or wait to try and explain it on the background check? How long did your background check take?

BONUS QUESTION: How as the relocation package if you relocated to USAA from somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 04:58 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
I think what you should focus on is if you tried to hide it from usaa. Good luck. Consider yourself fortunate to get offered a relo.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I have experience in HR, staffing, and also as a bank manager. Banks (and USAA is a bank, among other entities) are notoriously tough - as well they should be - on background checks. That being said, I don't think the items you bring up will have any impact on your hireability.

What WILL have an impact most likely is your credit score. Most banks require a decent credit score. If yours is above 600 you should be fine for most jobs, though some positions at some banks require a higher score than that (like 680 or so). They will check it.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:24 AM

169 posts, read 391,809 times
I work for USAA (on the bank side, although I started out on the insurance side). You will most likely be asked to provide a detailed written explanation for any civil or criminal cases discovered in your background check. I had to do that for a 10-year old DUI charge that was ultimately dismissed, but still came up in the background check. My experience is as long as you are completely forthright with USAA, there should be no issue.

The only thing I would ask is whether the taser charge was a felony or misdemeanor. Simply being charged with a felony, regardless of conviction, might be a violation of USAA's "moral turpitude" policy (which applies to members and employees alike). If that's the case, you could be denied employment.

As for relocation packages, I have no direct experience with that process but I believe it varies based on the level of the position you're being offered. A friend of mine who is an Executive Director relocated from SA to Phoenix and USAA covered everything. They even bought his house in SA after it sat on the market for 90 days. Lower-level positions would probably have a scaled back relocation package.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford72 View Post
I work for USAA (on the bank side, although I started out on the insurance side). You will most likely be asked to provide a detailed written explanation for any civil or criminal cases discovered in your background check. I had to do that for a 10-year old DUI charge that was ultimately dismissed, but still came up in the background check. My experience is as long as you are completely forthright with USAA, there should be no issue.

The only thing I would ask is whether the taser charge was a felony or misdemeanor. Simply being charged with a felony, regardless of conviction, might be a violation of USAA's "moral turpitude" policy (which applies to members and employees alike). If that's the case, you could be denied employment.

As for relocation packages, I have no direct experience with that process but I believe it varies based on the level of the position you're being offered. A friend of mine who is an Executive Director relocated from SA to Phoenix and USAA covered everything. They even bought his house in SA after it sat on the market for 90 days. Lower-level positions would probably have a scaled back relocation package.
Thank you - I plan on being totally upfront about the issues I laid out in my original post. Luckily, the taser charge was NOT a felony, just a misdemeanor and it was all cleared up very quickly. I keep hearing good things on the relocation package, so I am crossing my fingers that I get a good offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have experience in HR, staffing, and also as a bank manager. Banks (and USAA is a bank, among other entities) are notoriously tough - as well they should be - on background checks. That being said, I don't think the items you bring up will have any impact on your hireability.

What WILL have an impact most likely is your credit score. Most banks require a decent credit score. If yours is above 600 you should be fine for most jobs, though some positions at some banks require a higher score than that (like 680 or so). They will check it.
Luckily my credit score is in the 700s, so one less thing to worry about, haha! Thank you for weighing in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
I think what you should focus on is if you tried to hide it from usaa. Good luck. Consider yourself fortunate to get offered a relo.
Thank you, I definitely consider myself very fortunate. And thanks for the advice.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
In my experience, HR doesn't look at the resume in much detail. If they're going to verify dates of employment, etc., they'll have you fill out an application form, and that's where you want to make sure everything is completely accurate.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
In my experience, HR doesn't look at the resume in much detail. If they're going to verify dates of employment, etc., they'll have you fill out an application form, and that's where you want to make sure everything is completely accurate.
Thanks, I am actually in the process of the background check now. Fingers crossed this is all quick and smooth!

Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 15,247 times
Did u clear ur background check

Old 12-24-2017, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,930 times
Default How far back does USAA San Antonio do the background check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford72 View Post

Hello, I was wondering if you could please tell me how far back USAA San Antonio does the background check. I have a DUI and Malicious Mischief (commonly shows up as domestic violence). Malicious mischief is a form of domestic violence where damage to mutual property happens but no one was physically harmed/assaulted. Basically, my ex and I were verbally arguing as I was trying to move out and she was trying to stop me, and I got frustrated and tossed a plaque, not at her, but it bounced off the couch and knocked into our apartment wall, putting a quarter size hole in it. Although she didn't want to press charges, the state did on her behalf.

I hear that Texas background checks typically don't look back past 7 years, although this can be optional I guess. On some of my applications in Texas, I've been asked up to 7 years, but not more. But I haven't applied to USAA or a bank. My 7 year mark is almost up, but I will be applying for internship before then.

My questions are, how far back will USAA in San Antonio ask about criminal background. What is a detailed written explanation. Is it my written account? Or will they require me to track down police/court reports?

Thank you very much.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:13 PM

814 posts, read 675,479 times
You can let us know what you find out.

I'd say no limit how far back. It is not a credit report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio