Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:37 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,201,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And as for those "security guards," I always have to smile when I see them as I am usually "better prepared" to handle any situation then they are. I would never rely on my well-being or protection, or more importantly the well-being or protection of my family, to some guy with a flashlight and a bunch of keys!

Cheers! M2
I know the person that has the contract for security at the local Walmarts. Walmart tells them what to enforce and all I'll say about that is that WalMart doesn't want to make anyone mad. So sad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:56 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,491,196 times
i usually seem to only get stopped when i have items on the bottom of my basket --- like the large 24pack of water or the 8pack papertowels --- i can understand it --- they want to make sure i am paying for what is under the cart ---

i have also been stopped at other walmarts when i do not have items under the cart, they just do a scan and do the yellow highliter stripe --- it still doesn't bother me much --- store policy is store policy so if i choose to shop at their store i just go with the flow...

Old 03-23-2008, 01:01 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,562,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
i usually seem to only get stopped when i have items on the bottom of my basket --- like the large 24pack of water or the 8pack papertowels --- i can understand it --- they want to make sure i am paying for what is under the cart ---
I had something on the bottom of the basket at IKEA, which I walked out with unpaid. I forgot it was there til I was unloading into the car... had to go allllll the way back in to pay for it. I won't forget again!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:23 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,427,962 times
I remember once when my wife's purse was stolen (right after Christmas ) - we got her purse back, but minus all the cash and gift cards. The credit cards, etc were all there.

WalMart was able to track the gift cards (Mother in law had the receipts from when she bought the cards) using the #'s from the receipts, and even had date/time of when they were used, the exact ring up of the purchase, and even VIDEO of the guy using our cards. The Alabama police did NOTHING!

It was about $200 IIRC, so may not have been high on their scale of things, which is very understandable. And considering we got everything else back, I consider us very lucky, so I didn't push it!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:29 PM

637 posts, read 3,238,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Hey everyone! Just wondering....Why is Walmart all of a sudden feeling like they can ask to inspect our receipts now as we are walking out the door? My husband and I were in yesterday for a few things (At Military and 410) and the little old woman they have posted at the door is now stopping everyone and asking to "see your receipt"! Needless to say, it was a crowd at Walmart yesterday, what with the holiday coming up, so my husband and I tried to go around someone she already had stopped with a big TV in their cart. We had only bought groceries and felt absolutely violated when she made a big deal to stop us in the middle of all the crowd and ask to see our receipt!!! So now, Walmart presumes we are guilty until proven innocent by inspection of our receipt? I am incensed over this and wonder if anyone else is feeling their rights being violated?
It's Walmart what do you expect...I try and avoid the place at all cost as everytime I have ever gone there I feel the need to go home and take a bath.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:49 PM

337 posts, read 1,432,570 times
I'm glad to hear everyone's responses. I see we are all over the board on this one. My point, of course, was that it's a violation of my privacy, not to mention, a waste of my time to stop for an ILLEGAL receipt check. Violations of privacy start with small things like Walmart asking for a receipt. Before you know it, we don't even realize that IS a violation of our privacy and then the next thing comes along...and guess what.....by then we are so desensitized to having our privacy violated that we don't even care! (When I used to live in Tulsa, I went in for a GYN exam once only to find cameras had been installed in each exam room! Are those cameras really there to protect MY privacy or to cover the dr.'s butt if I bring charges later???)

To the posters about Costco. Yes, I am a member of Costco, but it is part of my membership agreement that is disclosed to me at the time I am joining. It is upfront and I am not offended if I know ahead of time that this is part of the deal.

Choose to NOT shop at Walmart? That's a great idea, but then you have the problem of Walmart coming into a community and running everyone ELSE out! Remember when we used to have Albertson's to choose from??? I do plenty of shopping at HEB, but HEB simply does not carry all the items that I buy on a regular basis. (I'm mom to two special needs kids and find that I have to hit BOTH HEB and Walmart to cover everything we need.) However, I am resolved to spending less and less there as much as possible.

Walmart Self-Check Out lanes??? The one at Military and 410 have NEVER had their open. I asked once why they had them installed if they were never going to be used. I was told that they were never able to get them up and running properly (i.e. the computer system) and so they were not going to be used. The person said there were no plans in place to EVER get them running. Now they have wasted space with lanes that will never be used!

I've been asked for my receipt at both the Military and 410 location as well as the one over at 1604 and Culebra (Leslie Rd.) I've always shown my receipt w/o making a scene but now I am so offended by it!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:14 PM

657 posts, read 1,938,226 times
Quote:
I'm glad to hear everyone's responses. I see we are all over the board on this one. My point, of course, was that it's a violation of my privacy, not to mention, a waste of my time to stop for an ILLEGAL receipt check. Violations of privacy start with small things like Walmart asking for a receipt. Before you know it, we don't even realize that IS a violation of our privacy and then the next thing comes along...and guess what.....by then we are so desensitized to having our privacy violated that we don't even care! (When I used to live in Tulsa, I went in for a GYN exam once only to find cameras had been installed in each exam room! Are those cameras really there to protect MY privacy or to cover the dr.'s butt if I bring charges later???)

To the posters about Costco. Yes, I am a member of Costco, but it is part of my membership agreement that is disclosed to me at the time I am joining. It is upfront and I am not offended if I know ahead of time that this is part of the deal.

Choose to NOT shop at Walmart? That's a great idea, but then you have the problem of Walmart coming into a community and running everyone ELSE out! Remember when we used to have Albertson's to choose from??? I do plenty of shopping at HEB, but HEB simply does not carry all the items that I buy on a regular basis. (I'm mom to two special needs kids and find that I have to hit BOTH HEB and Walmart to cover everything we need.) However, I am resolved to spending less and less there as much as possible.

Walmart Self-Check Out lanes??? The one at Military and 410 have NEVER had their open. I asked once why they had them installed if they were never going to be used. I was told that they were never able to get them up and running properly (i.e. the computer system) and so they were not going to be used. The person said there were no plans in place to EVER get them running. Now they have wasted space with lanes that will never be used!

I've been asked for my receipt at both the Military and 410 location as well as the one over at 1604 and Culebra (Leslie Rd.) I've always shown my receipt w/o making a scene but now I am so offended by it!

I'm not sure I understand how this is a privacy issue, an annoyance yes, an improper stopping of you going on your way sure, but not a privacy issue..... From a practical standpoint they Wal-Mart already knows everything you are telling them by allowing your receipt to be checked. That computer you just checked out can reprint and store electronically everything you just purchased. By matching electronic receipt timestamps to the register camera timestamps they know what you purchased anyway.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,055,326 times
Quote:

So now that you know Walmart does this, perhaps you shouldn't be so offended? It seems like making a mountain out of a molehill, even after reading your opinions on privacy. And why are you offended now, when you've always shown your receipt before without making a scene? (your words) It seems like I am missing something.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,621,338 times
I just don't go to WalMart. I've only been to WalMart a handful of times here, but every time they were filthy and had all kinds of junk on the floor and in the aisles. No, thanks. I'll go to Target and pay a little more.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:58 PM

378 posts, read 1,443,123 times
Quote:
Hey everyone! Just wondering....Why is Walmart all of a sudden feeling like they can ask to inspect our receipts now as we are walking out the door? My husband and I were in yesterday for a few things (At Military and 410) and the little old woman they have posted at the door is now stopping everyone and asking to "see your receipt"! Needless to say, it was a crowd at Walmart yesterday, what with the holiday coming up, so my husband and I tried to go around someone she already had stopped with a big TV in their cart. We had only bought groceries and felt absolutely violated when she made a big deal to stop us in the middle of all the crowd and ask to see our receipt!!! So now, Walmart presumes we are guilty until proven innocent by inspection of our receipt? I am incensed over this and wonder if anyone else is feeling their rights being violated?
They been doing that for years it's a safety precaution that shows them you bought what you are walking out with so they know you didn't steal it. they have done that since I was a little kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio