Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:11 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,934 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's a violation of civil liberties or the govt issues here. Hubby is in retail and I can tell you some companies/stores he has seen have had so much theft the store can't even make a profit. Common business sense is everyone who is in business is in it to make a profit. This has an impact on the staff cause if there's no profit, it all rolls downhill to that manager. Could mean no bonus or even the loss of his/her job. With that in mind I don't blame a manager for doing whatever it takes to reduce theft. Hubby did a survey recently and there were more items at the bottom of the buggy that the cashiers did not ring up than anything else. So it is a way to double check things.

Also, the WM on Potranco rarely do I get asked to show my receipt. Usually it's if I have a large buggy full. I will tell you yesterday morning we were there and there were three police cars out front. They had this car, a nice one I might add, with the hatch/trunk open and they were searching it. Alongside was a woman and her son, who looked to be between 8-10. Didn't look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM

797 posts, read 2,991,704 times
I find it more annoying to have to check in with the door clerk with the my return items then to be doubled checked on my way out. I understand the point for doing both but rarely does anyone even take a second look at my return and since you MUST provide a receipt to make a return why bother with the little sticker at the door?

I have been a Costco member for nearly 10yrs now and they check EVERY receipt and shopper as you exit. I know part of why they do it is to make sure the cashier didn't accidently forget something but also be sure nothing was double charged unless it was meant to be.

Theft doesn't just hurt the profit of a business, it can also hurt the consumers pocket book as well when they increase the sale price of items to offset losses from theft.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
I've lived in this city for 4 years. Previous to this city, I'd never been asked to show a receipt upon leaving Walmart.
I guess I'm not the only one.

Quote:
They DO have self check-out lanes at 410 & Military, but they have never been in operation. They also DO have them at the 1604 & Culebra location and they are up and running most of the time. I am ALWAYS stopped if I use the self check-out lane. If they are going to stop everyone who uses the self check-out lanes, then it seems stupid to install them in the first place.
I agree, and I have not seen them at that location. Whereabouts up front are they. Usually at store that I've seen do have them, the are closest to the entrance/exits. All I see in this spot are express checkouts (10 items or less). Is it possible they've converted them to self check-outs. Because I shop there at least once a week and am sure I would have seen them and (and probably asked why the heck they aren't being employed as the lines are HORRIBLY GONE WRONG in this location sometimes).
Quote:
I guess I simply do not see the need (even whether or not it is legal or loss of rights or whatever!) for them to put a "door nazi" in place for checking receipts when they already have monitored cameras inside their stores to watch any and all customers while they are shopping AND the alarm at the door to catch you IF you are shoplifting! To add insult by asking for your receipt seems like harassment!
LOL, the phrase is addictive. Yes, I agree... but on the same token, I almost feel sad for some of the seniors that are given this duty. It's not their fault.

I'll continue to show my receipt (admittedly doesn't happen all the time), but if there's a long line at the door, I will cruise right by it and if I were stopped (and asked to wait in the line) I would politely disagree and keep on rolling. There is nothing that says you can't and the police/security can't do a thing about it, unless Walmart is explicitly accusing you of shoplifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
I don't think it's a violation of civil liberties or the govt issues here.
Sure it's not from them to ask. But if you refuse and they attempt to detain you (verbally or physically), it is a violation (albeit a minor one from the point of the law unless they start grabbing you).

I cannot believe for a second it adds in real value from the point of combating shoplifters because they rarely check your cart when you show the receipt. More so, most shoplifters aren't going to be making a stop at the check out lane, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
, I am going to refuse to do so from here on out and if there is any attempt to detain me I will raise a ruckus.
You go madmax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And 90% of the WalMarts I have been to were "dirty, over crowded, (and) needing more sales associates." About the only exceptions I see to that are the stores in smaller towns such as Boerne or Hondo. And honestly, I doubt providing feedback will do any good; but if anyone is so inclined, you can do so here.

Cheers! M2
Yes, lack of employees is always a problem at Military and 410, particularly on the weekends when there are 6-7 registers open (total) and lines going back 10 or so people. I always ask myself, what the heck is up with all the lanes if they never even use more than a 1/10 of them?!

But alas, I can't stop shopping at Walmart. It's like that South Park Episode where everyone in town is addicted to the cheap commodity prices, lol.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 03-25-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-25-2008, 08:03 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,206,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post

I agree, and I have not seen them at that location. Whereabouts up front are they. Usually at store that I've seen do have them, the are closest to the entrance/exits. All I see in this spot are express checkouts (10 items or less). Is it possible they've converted them to self check-outs. Because I shop there at least once a week and am sure I would have seen them and (and probably asked why the heck they aren't being employed as the lines are HORRIBLY GONE WRONG in this location sometimes).

At the Culebra and 1604 location, if I remember correctly, the self checkout lanes are next to the "10 items or less" lanes.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 AM

I've never been to that location (I was speaking for the Mil/410 location); perhaps I'll try that one some time though. I'm in a subdiv at Marbach and Hunt so the 410 Walmart is a bit closer. Does it get loaded on the weekend? I don't mean just busy which is to be expected but long waits at the checkout? I never experienced anything quite like it until I moved here. Walmarts near me in the past; well there were so many (not super centers) serving each municipality that it was never that bad

Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,277 times
I really don't understand why the big deal. Every Wally World I've ever been to has had someone at the door asking to see receipts. I've not been asked every time, but I keep my receipt in my hand, just in case. I see it as a reason to give a senior some kind of gainful employment, maybe something to supplement their social security. Not a bad thing, if you ask me.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,206,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I really don't understand why the big deal. Every Wally World I've ever been to has had someone at the door asking to see receipts. I've not been asked every time, but I keep my receipt in my hand, just in case. I see it as a reason to give a senior some kind of gainful employment, maybe something to supplement their social security. Not a bad thing, if you ask me.
I totally agree. It is not a big deal to me either.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
They DO have self check-out lanes at 410 & Military, but they have never been in operation.
So sorry to have doubted you... I went today and you are absolutely right. I guess I never looked at them since, as you stated, they are never open.

I don't mind it as much when taking everything into consideration (job for senior, etc.), but when there's a line going out the door on a particular day (doesn't happen all the time) and I just got done waiting in another long line which can aggravating by itself, don't expect me to stop to entertain the old battle axe who thinks she's accomplishing something... just like the OP had to! Her sentiment is perfectly understandable given the circumstances.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
I don't mind it as much when taking everything into consideration (job for senior, etc.), but when there's a line going out the door on a particular day (doesn't happen all the time) and I just got done waiting in another long line which can aggravating by itself, don't expect me to stop to entertain the old battle axe who thinks she's accomplishing something... just like the OP had to! Her sentiment is perfectly understandable given the circumstances.
Wow! This makes me sad! I'm sure the person working the door doesn't think he/she is being paid to be entertained. If this person believes that she is doing something meaningful besides sitting at home watching t.v., I say more power to her. At the very least, they are doing the job for which they're being paid and seemingly happy to do it, unlike plenty of others who think the world owes them a living. Taking a little time out of my day to help someone who is doing their best to do their job is no skin off my nose.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM

180 posts, read 793,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Wal Mart and Sam's and the others mentioned have done this forever. Make no mistake - they aren't doing it because of you, they are doing it because they don't trust their own employees. How hard would it be for a family member to go through the checkout and only be charged for $10.00 worth of stuff but walk out with the new wardrobe (of Wal Mart fashions)?

I used to feel the same sense of privacy violation when I would go, but now, I don't even think twice - I keep my receipt out and head straight for the oldest person wearing a vest!
I never thought about dishonest employees being the reason too. That makes sense.

I've been stopped, asked to check my receipt at WalMart. The first time I was surprised and it took a minute to find the bag it was in but after that I just keep it in my hand in case asked again. I don't consider being profiled but usually I'll have something big on the bottom of the cart like a big bag of dogfood or paper towels, so sure they want to check that wasn't accidently missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio