Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:30 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,025,762 times

Advertisements

Just pay inside, better safe than sorry. Such as life when you share a city with criminals. At least San Antonio isn't that bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 01:36 PM

61,924 posts, read 87,533,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I saw something on the news a while back that said you can spot a skinner by checking to see if there is an open Bluetooth connection nearby. https://www.wptv.com/money/consumer/...s-at-gas-pumps
According to:
https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...m-skimmers.php
there is no foolproof way to spot skimmers.

I hope that one day they will fit those card readers with an alarm, or automatically disable them when someone starts unauthorized modifications.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:38 PM

1,514 posts, read 894,240 times
I was under the impression that the skimmers used an internal storage and did not need a bluetooth/wireless connection. Scammer just sets equipment up, waits, then after a period of time collects to get data from internal storage.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Just pay inside, better safe than sorry. Such as life when you share a city with criminals. At least San Antonio isn't that bad
The problem there is that option has been made too inconvenient, IMO.

For example, you must pay in advance at the register if not paying at the pump. Also, regardless of whether you are paying cash or using a credit card, you must make an exact dollar amount purchase in advance, with no change given back or balance credited back to your card. IOW, you can't tell them "I want to fill my tank", because you have to know exactly how much dollar amount you need, without going over. So, you have to underestimate your need. They used to give cash refunds, or a credit back on your card, but I guess it became too much of a hassle for the retailers, and nobody I've encountered seems to do that anymore.

I normally buy gas at one of the two fuel brands (along with their "sister" brands) for which I carry proprietary credit cards (only accepted at those particular branded fuel stations), and pay at the pump with them, so there should be less risk of having the account compromised, due to limited acceptance of the cards, and the low monthly dollar limit they have. I haven't had any problem with those accounts being compromised over the years.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:28 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,512,192 times
Pffft....they'll just laugh at the amount on my debit card and skip over it.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,025,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The problem there is that option has been made too inconvenient, IMO.

For example, you must pay in advance at the register if not paying at the pump. Also, regardless of whether you are paying cash or using a credit card, you must make an exact dollar amount purchase in advance, with no change given back or balance credited back to your card. IOW, you can't tell them "I want to fill my tank", because you have to know exactly how much dollar amount you need, without going over. So, you have to underestimate your need. They used to give cash refunds, or a credit back on your card, but I guess it became too much of a hassle for the retailers, and nobody I've encountered seems to do that anymore.

I normally buy gas at one of the two fuel brands (along with their "sister" brands) for which I carry proprietary credit cards (only accepted at those particular branded fuel stations), and pay at the pump with them, so there should be less risk of having the account compromised, due to limited acceptance of the cards, and the low monthly dollar limit they have. I haven't had any problem with those accounts being compromised over the years.
At Circle K the money goes back on your card... Don't know what you mean

Old 11-14-2018, 04:26 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,266,523 times
Quote:
At Circle K the money goes back on your card... Don't know what you mean
What I'm saying is if you go inside and pay the cashier (credit card or cash) they need an exact dollar amount in advance you want to purchase. I say "I just want to fill my tank". They say "sir, I need a dollar amount in advance". I say "But I'm using one of your brand credit cards". They say "I still need a dollar amount in advance". I say "never mind", and walk out without purchasing, except the time I needed gas then. And that time, the pump cut off right at the dollar amount I put on the card.

They used to give refunds on the up-front payment in cash (if you paid cash), or credit the unused amount back on your card, but you had to go back inside after you were finished refueling to do it. I guess nobody's doing that anymore, at least based on my local experiences.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:27 PM

82 posts, read 103,851 times
Quote:
Or just use your phone/watch to pay?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 PM

218 posts, read 502,155 times
[Mod cut: orphaned]

There are not a lot yet, but I love the ones with Apple pay. Wish they all had that.

Last edited by elnina; 11-16-2018 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-15-2018, 05:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,160,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
There are not a lot yet, but I love the ones with Apple pay. Wish they all had that.
If you use Exxon stations, you can pay from the front seat of your car, with the Speedpass+ app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: