Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times

Advertisements

Nice old tires in the water behind the C'dale, if that were San Antonio they would be discarded rusting water heaters...

Anyone been out to Govt Canyon lately? How dusty is it out there?

I need to get out on my bike, not because I need the exercise (I do) but because I am getting stressed out with school and work. Riding is one of the most relaxing activities I know of...

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 AM

325 posts, read 781,283 times
I hear you on the stress relief from a good ride, I was last at GC over a month ago but I can't imagine dust being a issue except in the front country. Funny you mention dust, the trails at OP and Salado are starting to break up back into to dust from the rain we had a few weeks ago. I cleaned and lubed my chain on my Scalpel and 2 rides later it looks abused.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Oh, and for everyone's entertainment, here are a few mountain biking pics from over the years...

Hill Country State Natural Area, circa 2002...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/HCSNAcira2002.jpg (broken link)

Germany, circa 1995...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/Germanycirca1995.jpg (broken link)

The UK, circa 1983...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/UKcira1983.jpg (broken link)

Cheers! M2

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM

Great shots, must have been nice to be stationed places you could ride, I was on Adak, on the Aleutian chain, not much riding there.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 AM

Actually, that middle picture is probably from 98-99, as I didn't pick up my SuperV's until later during that assignment. I had a M400 that I snagged in Germany when I was visiting from Bratislava during Christmas break 1993. I rode it all over the area, in Slovakia and Austria, and it was my main bike when we moved to Germany in 1995. I finally grabbed a SuperV700 and loved it, then got an outstanding deal on a SuperV3000 and I still have both (although the latter has never really be ridden that much).

The bottom bike was my first "ATB," mainly a beach cruiser with gears. It weighed a ton but I would pedal it from RAF Woodbridge where I lived out to Bawdsey (about a 9 mile trip), the take a small ferry across the mouth of the river Deben into Felixstowe to ride around that beautiful coastal town. I still recall seeing some coastal defenses of the WWII, very cool.

Unfortunately, due to a hard drive crash I lost three years worth of mountain bike pictures from when we lived in Belgium (2002-2005). I still have the hard drive and one day will see if someone can recover the files, as I took a lot of pictures from riding over there!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-16-2009, 11:33 AM

36 posts, read 116,802 times
Slightly off topic here, sorry. A quick question. Is a bicycle helmet required by law or just recommended? No mountain biking here, just around my neighborhood.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:12 PM

Obviously I wanted to look this up to be sure I was passing correct information, and I was shocked to find that no helmets are required for adults or children in San Antonio!

Quote:
Bicycle helmets are not required by Texas law or City Ordinance (although they are required in cities such as Austin and Dallas). Still, helmets are an important safety precaution for ALL riders, and especially for children. The San Antonio Police Department, through its Community Policing program, does presentations on Bicycle Safety to school groups and conducts "Bicycle Rodeos" where students can compete in safe bike riding exercises. (Source: SAPD Bicycle Safety web site)
This was another "shocker"...

Quote:
In addition, in San Antonio, City Ordinance does not allow bicycles to be ridden on sidewalks (except for law enforcement and emergency personnel) [City of San Antonio Ordinances Sec. 19-286]
Here are some selected Texas Bicycle laws courtesy of the SAPD, and if you want the complete statute, click here (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/pdf/tn.007.00.000551.00.pdf - broken link).

But, despite there being no law requiring it, it makes good sense for everyone to wear a helmet while riding. That 25+ year old picture above was during my younger, dumber days. I started wearing a helmet when I got serious about mountain biking, and I actually crushed one during a fall in the mountains of Germany not long afterward. A sharp, pointed rock smashed the cover and almost penetrated all the way through the helmet; but all I got was a chance to hear some church bells and see some pretty birds flying around my head. Had I not been wearing a helmet then, I wouldn't be here typing this today...

Ride safe!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM

36 posts, read 116,802 times
Thanks, I don't think I will be in much danger pedaling sedately around the block in my neighborhood. If I venture out of my neighborhood I will make sure I wear one!

Old 06-21-2009, 02:27 PM

I not just trying to keep this thread on the front page but pictures from my morning ride this AM...

Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM

OK, where's that? DM me if you have to keep it a secret...

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio