Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM

431 posts, read 929,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I haven't gone to La Cantera,
but from what I saw, I would think more mexicans go to San Marcos outlets to shop.

I went there on Jan 1st and it was packed with cars with mexican license plates.

BTW, it was a little shocking for my midwestern wife (we've been here 2 months)
to see 2 german looking kids speaking spanish with a mexican accent
Ha yeah, Not everyone from Mexico is one color. A few friends ive had from Mexico had green eyes blonde hair.. From what i understand the lighter skinned mexican nationals tend to be better off.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I haven't gone to La Cantera,
but from what I saw, I would think more mexicans go to San Marcos outlets to shop.

I went there on Jan 1st and it was packed with cars with mexican license plates.

BTW, it was a little shocking for my midwestern wife (we've been here 2 months)
to see 2 german looking kids speaking spanish with a mexican accent
Dopo.....just avoid any large shopping mall, outlet or shopping center that has designer or higher end merchandise during Mexico's national holidays. North Star Mall is a long time fav....and La Canterra and the Rim are giving them a run for their money. And yes, the San Marcos Outlets are just as packed. Check your calendar for Holy Week and make sure you've done your shopping for the week! Worse than Christmas because it's packed into one week of wild and frenzied spending....total insanity.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 PM

616 posts, read 2,084,093 times
I second that... I had to make a run to the Apple store at North Star last week, and it was absolutely full to the brim of Mexican Nationals buying everything in sight. Seriously, I saw people clinging to piles of iPod Nanos like they were Moscow housewives in a bread line in 1972. The poor dazed sales clerk told me that none of the staff could figure it out, because it wasn't like anything was on sale, but it was turning out to be their second biggest sales day of the year after Black Friday. We're talking a random post-Christmas Tuesday here.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:47 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
I second that... I had to make a run to the Apple store at North Star last week, and it was absolutely full to the brim of Mexican Nationals buying everything in sight. Seriously, I saw people clinging to piles of iPod Nanos like they were Moscow housewives in a bread line in 1972. The poor dazed sales clerk told me that none of the staff could figure it out, because it wasn't like anything was on sale, but it was turning out to be their second biggest sales day of the year after Black Friday. We're talking a random post-Christmas Tuesday here.
Yup...electronics and clothing...the 2 major things that are more costly in Mexico. Even with the dismal exchange rate for the Mexicans (>13 pesos to the dollar recently) it's still a deal here for certain things.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM

53 posts, read 134,210 times
Many buildings are deemed historical. We probably lost alot of buildings when the Capitol when to Austin many moons ago. Companies and government usually to the capital city.Bigger ones go to cities in regions of the country. Ie:New York LA .Not much land in the core of city because of the old buildings. The older buildings look nice and have some charm if they cleaned up nicely.With railings and collumns.There's companies and for that matter people with big money to build their own skycrapers.ATT had a chance to do that when they where headquartered globally here. Maybe the city will build another Tower next to one at Hemishere with the stimulus money from the government.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:13 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
SA downtown definitely needs more height

Old 04-09-2009, 07:14 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satbah7 View Post
... Maybe the city will build another Tower next to one at Hemishere with the stimulus money from the government.
Maybe they'll make it more artistic... or space needley.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:26 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,112,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
With that said I am glad that Hispanics have overcome the crap they had to endure to rise to social prominence in SA.

San Antonio DT need a radical inprovements. Austin, Seattle,Bellvue, Washington, Tampa, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Indy, minneapolis all put SA downtown to shame. I guess the Conversation Society thinks this is still 1930.

San Antonio has a better downtown than all those cities, D.C ( D.C. no skyline)and possibly Minneapolis also have vibrant downtowns. Bellevue, Wa, what a joke, a few new tall towers, but a downtown with no infill or density, a downtown with a inch of character.
Jacksonville and tampa are ghost towns. Jacksonville has a smaller skyline than San Antonio, San Antonio has more taller buildings. Tampa has a few more modern glass buildings but the infill and density is weak in comparison with S.A.

San Antonio's downtown skyscrapers are spread out rather than being grouped together like many cities that may appear to have a bigger skyline.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:59 PM

898 posts, read 2,896,096 times
our skyline looks boring. I would like to have some neon lighting on at least one building, like the buildings in dallas, and austin.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:21 PM

175 posts, read 304,019 times
San Antonio's skyline is not pretty or progressive, but it does reflect the Spanish/Mexican influence of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio