Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM

175 posts, read 304,019 times

Advertisements

I've got a question for those of you who seem unconcerned with the current trajectory of San Antonio's downtown development, which to clarify, seems to disproportionately cater to tourists, and not in cultivating an urban, walkable, self-sustaining community.

Where do you see San Antonio's downtown in twenty years?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
I've got a question for those of you who seem unconcerned with the current trajectory of San Antonio's downtown development, which to clarify, seems to disproportionately cater to tourists, and not in cultivating an urban, walkable, self-sustaining community.

Wait a minute there, cowboy! When I asked you why it bothered you that Austin was surpassing SA, you didn't give a straight answer. Instead you responded with yet another question. So, why don't you answer my question first? Why does Austin surpassing SA bother you so much?

Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:

This is more like it! 20 years is awfully hard to forecast, though. Homer Williams, who developed the Pearl district in Portland, refers to the concept of the "10 year overnight success story", meaning that urban redevelopment starts very slowly, but once it gets to a "tipping point", it tends to accelerate very fast.

I think it's most appropriate to think about this in terms of the "Central City", not just downtown. This would include Downtown "proper", King William/Lavaca/Southtown and Lower Broadway/Pearl. The near East & West sides will probably be in the second wave of development 10-20 years from now.

I think it's reasonable to assume that in the next 10 years, you'll see 5,000 new residential units. There are already 1,100 rental units at what I would call an "advanced planning" stage (meaning if capital is available, they'll break ground in the next year). And developers already control plenty of sites in these areas for future projects.

I think you'll continue to see lots of tourist-related development, which is not all bad. Aside from creating jobs and an "alive" downtown, these projects can help to fill-in the "fabric" of the central city, making the entire place feel more complete. We just need to make sure they're built in accordance with NU principles, which is where form-based code comes in.

I do think that the vast majority of the new construction in the central city (excluding tourist-related stuff) will be residential (and mostly rental). And that's good. Urban neighborhoods need lots and lots of residential for the other stuff to work. What little retail comes in the next 10 years will be mostly in the form of bars/restaurants/cafes/entertainment.

How fast neighborhood-oriented retail comes is anyone's guess. Right now, it's still very tough for independent & neighborhood service retailers to compete with supermarkets & big boxes. Even at some of the most successful NU projects (like Pearl district), true neighborhood retail has been slow to come.

I also envision a well-developed, user-friendly streetcar/trolley of some sort that connects the entire central city from north to south (and, ultimately, from east to west). This, in conjunction with bike lanes and good pedestrian-friendly sidewalks should link everything up quite nicely.

Believe it or not, most of the developers working on these projects are very well versed in the New Urbanism, meaning the projects will form the skeleton of compact, walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods. I think it will take up to 50 years for the central city to substantially fill in. But that's okay. It takes time.

The most critical component, as you've previously identified, is that CoSA and Bexar Co. continue to work dilligently to attract new companies and businesses to SA (which will bring people to the city), and that they both place a very high priority on funding improvements and incentives that will jump-start these neighborhoods (and end subsidies for sprawl).

If SA can offer a business-friendly climate and great urban neighborhoods that are relatively affordable.......I think SA will have great prospects for the next 20-50 years.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:19 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:

I doubt many investors are gonna build apartment building when they can build a hotel (more rooms per floor) and charge $100-$200 a night.

Make it walkable?
You can start with (1) build a nice homeless shelter to get homeless people off the street (2) build a lightrail with a huge A/C on top of them.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:24 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times
River North will utterly change of the landscape of downtown or better yet the Urban Core/Central Loop.

In ten years the downtown skyline will have changed, big time. Count on it. It'll be a mini-Vancouver of sorts.

I hope I don't have to clarify what I mean by that.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,112,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
River North will utterly change of the landscape of downtown or better yet the Urban Core/Central Loop.

In ten years the downtown skyline will have changed, big time. Count on it. It'll be a mini-Vancouver of sorts.

I hope I don't have to clarify what I mean by that.

I agree! Didn't River North when some kind of World Congress award in New Urbanisim?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:20 PM

226 posts, read 865,797 times
I too dislike our downtown skyline. It seems rather bland

We are in Texas and everything is bigger here. Lets make our downtown the biggest of them all!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Near Shamu View Post
I too dislike our downtown skyline. It seems rather bland

We are in Texas and everything is bigger here. Lets make our downtown the biggest of them all!
We definitely need to do something to get away from that browntown we have.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
No...we don't.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
No...we don't.
The last two posts make it clear that this thread has chased its tail long enough. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio