Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,055,218 times

Advertisements

Perception is everything. Which one are you going to pick the Plain Jane DT or the sexy progressive DT?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,004,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Perception is everything. Which one are you going to pick the Plain Jane DT or the sexy progressive DT?
Do you have anything else to add? You have said this twenty times already?

Look through your thread we all answered it.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,868 times
Quote:
Terry -

Your problem is that you think our downtown is "Plain Jane". But you really can't know much about our central city if you think that's true. SA's downtown arguably has the highest concentration of architecturally significant historic buildings of any of the major cities in TX. We also have one of the most admired public parks anywhere in the country (the Riverwalk). And unlike Dallas and Houston, we actually have a downtown that's alive at night.

You think skyscrapers are "sexy" and "progressive". But you still haven't articulated how they contribute to more liveable neighborhoods (which is what makes cities REALLY sexy and progressive).

By the way, your handle includes (presumably) the zip code 78259 - is that the part of town you live in?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
The city bends over backwards to attract more low paying military jobs, but does little to attract or retain corporate headquarters. It will take major changes for San Antonio to be attractive to corporations.
The first sentance is completely and totally false. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

But I agree that SA needs to work hard and make some changes to continue to be an attractive place to do business. But skyscrapers just don't matter to these companies. They seem to matter an awful lot to a very narrow segment of people who, as I've said, just think it's fun to look at shiny buildings in the distance.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,295,524 times
Quote:
I am sure there are websites for people who are turned on by tall buildings.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:44 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Terry -

Your problem is that you think our downtown is "Plain Jane". But you really can't know much about our central city if you think that's true. SA's downtown arguably has the highest concentration of architecturally significant historic buildings of any of the major cities in TX. We also have one of the most admired public parks anywhere in the country (the Riverwalk). And unlike Dallas and Houston, we actually have a downtown that's alive at night.

You think skyscrapers are "sexy" and "progressive". But you still haven't articulated how they contribute to more liveable neighborhoods (which is what makes cities REALLY sexy and progressive).

By the way, your handle includes (presumably) the zip code 78259 - is that the part of town you live in?
I have to agree with just about all of this.

Terry...you are still relating everything to how YOU see it. Very myopic. This city isn't about you and your perception, perspective or vision. Sexy is also relative. We lived in Dallas for quite some time, and I find nothing "sexy" about the tall glass buildings. I don't find buildings "sexy" at any rate. But that's me. WE are different. For contemporary architecture, someone might look back one day and say that a few have artistic merit....but I seriously doubt anyone will EVER call them sexy.

It sounds like there is some Freudian context that you're dealing with that needs to be resolved. Moving somewhere like Tokyo might satisfy your need for glass and glitz....and vertical edifices.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,055,218 times
Ok, take the knives out of my back. It is my love for SA that makes me play the same record over and over. Ok, remember I told you so

Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,828,596 times
Quote:
Ok, take the knives out of my back. It is my love for SA that makes me play the same record over and over. Ok, remember I told you so
OK...you told us so...have a good day.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM

616 posts, read 2,084,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr
Terry -

Great post.

Also, slightly off-topic, but since it was brought up earlier: I was under the impression that military jobs were often well-paid, or at least competitive with the civilian equivalent once you add in things like insurance and pension. I mean, I know that when you're a private or the equivalent pay can be a little grim, but it seems like a lot of the military jobs in San Antonio are in skilled fields like healthcare that would have to demand a higher level of pay in order to keep people from fleeing to the private sector.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
Quote:
It's ok Terry. It's good you love SA. Be proud that you think SA is just a plain jane. Isn't that who you want to take home to meet mom? Not the slutty girl you picked up some dive. Arm candy rarely pays off....in fact she's usually pretty high maintenance and costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio