Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 08:44 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times

Advertisements

I've offered my suggestion for a vaccine "friendly" pedi.

The current law is that a child must be vaccinated against certain diseases. If the parent chooses not to, there are certain requirements they must follow to obtain an exception to that law. There are strong scientific reasons for that law.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
Look, this is a largely personal decision....and the op was asking for specific information on finding a caregiver for her child that would respect her/his wishes - that's it.

This person wasn't asking for a lecture or for someone to try to change his/her mind. Until the laws change, it is their right to make this decision.

So....let's just agree to disagree and avoid using this forum for imposing our beliefs on others. Can't we all just get along???
Well stated. Let me make it official.

Information-sharing is one of the reasons this forum exists. This is not the place to criticize folks whose views on vaccines are different from yours. The fact that multiple vaccine options are legal and available in the marketplace makes it OK to discuss the non-default options and their availability in San Antonio here in the forum.

City-Data's Health and Wellness forum and Parenting forum are more appropriate forums to use to debate the larger issue of which vaccine option is most effective. Those larger issues are off-topic for a local forum thread.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 9,548 times
Yes, thank you. I didn't mean to have a debate, I am just looking for a doctor. Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone knows of anymore please let me know.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:55 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,293,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melpatt03 View Post
I know the original post went up about a year ago. I am looking for some current feedback on these pediatricians or others. I too am looking for a pedi who is willing to work with an alternative vaccine schedule (at the very least). We like a holistic approach and would prefer natural/homeopathic methods before using drugs, antibiotics, vaccines, etc..., but of course know that they are needed in some cases. We would also like the support of breast feeding as well. Our current family doctor does not seem to know a whole lot of specifics about pediatrics and isn't very friendly either. Please help!
Dr. Jennifer Reynard. She's a breastfeeding mom herself (or was, don't know about currently)... and will discuss vaccine issues with you in a respectful, intelligent manner. Not at all condescending and very friendly and personable. She's on the Southside (SE really) on Southcross at South Texas Pediatrics. I mentioned all of this earlier in the thread.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 PM

324 posts, read 1,308,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Dr. Jennifer Reynard. She's a breastfeeding mom herself (or was, don't know about currently)... and will discuss vaccine issues with you in a respectful, intelligent manner. Not at all condescending and very friendly and personable. She's on the Southside (SE really) on Southcross at South Texas Pediatrics. I mentioned all of this earlier in the thread.
I was given to understand from another board {MDC} that she has switched practices and her new practice no longer takes unvaccinated children.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? We see McMains now but want to switch for various reasons

Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,293,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
I was given to understand from another board {MDC} that she has switched practices and her new practice no longer takes unvaccinated children.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? We see McMains now but want to switch for various reasons
How recently? We haven't been there in a while. My son is 11, almost 12, so he was last there for a "pre-teen" checkup but is rarely sick so we haven't been back. When my son saw her at the Southcross location, it didn't come up with office staff and I discussed things with her and there was no mention of this. My son is not unvaccinated, but partially/selectively, so maybe that makes a difference?

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 08-09-2009 at 12:30 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM

39 posts, read 165,040 times
QUEENNEFERTIT- Is Dr. Mitchell nice? Is it easy to get appts? Do you happen to know if they offer the split MMR? Also, do they give you suggestions on which shots to give first and stuff?! Both my kids are on a delayed schedule. My son has all of his shots now, but my 2yo still needs some more vaccines. I am looking for someone who isn't constantly nagging about the fact that we chose to delay the shots, and is willing to accommodate our needs and honor our wishes. I am def. looking for someone who is willing to give me a prescription for the split MMR or who is at least open to let us wait until my 2yo is older...thanks!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:21 PM

181 posts, read 611,360 times
mama76-your post wasn't directed to me but I thought I'd bump it up for additional answers for you. It's my understanding that you can't get the separate MMR right now. It will be available and produced again in 2010.

I'd recommend a couple books on vaccines and then you can research/go from there to see what fits you and your child best. Doctors share the CDC schedule and might/might not have their own delayed schedules but it's good if you can do the research and know for yourself what you want/don't want. I know many doctors would be hesitant with suggesting a delayed/no vax schedule esp. for a new client that they don't have experience with, I would think?

The Vaccine Book, Robert W. Sears and What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave

We do vaccinate but have come to answers and solutions that fit us and our children that we're comfortable with. Thankfully our doctor respects our thoughts and has been great to work with.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,262 times
I know this thread is very old but wanted to give an update. I called Dr. Diane McMains office inquiring if she was taking any new patients and if she was willing to vaccinate on a delayed scheduled. Unfortunately, that is no linger the case. Does anyone know or can suggest a pediatrician that is willing to spread out vaccines?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 PM

117 posts, read 343,476 times
Try Dr. Melissa Kempf, she's a family practitioner rather than a pediatrician but she has young children herself so she's more than qualified. We go to her. I believe she has the view point of rather than turning away patients that won't vaccinate she'd rather work with their schedule and avoid the risk of parents not vaccinating at all. She comes across as not judgemental at all and is very friendly. She does require you to tell her the schedule though so go in prepared. I second the Dr. Sears Guide to Vaccines book. We vaccinated my son with all of the high risk stuff right away, just spaced them out a month or so rather than getting 6 vaccines at once, things that actually kill babies and held off on vaccines such as Chicken Pox. I also spread out his MMR and waited a few weeks between shots.

This thread is kind of turning into a non-vaccinators are harming society. I believe that vaccines are important but it doesn't hurt to caution on the safe side and spread the vaccines out. My son was fully vaccinated just as every other kid he just had more doctor visits and less shots at each one. I know that research shows that vaccines are safe but instead of losing sleep over his MMR shot I felt much better having the shot split up over 2 months. I know this sounds ridiculous to some but just because someone is looking for a vaccine friendly pedi doesn't neccessarily mean that they don't want to vaccinate their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio