Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,150 times

Advertisements

I just thought of another thing that surprised us...

Even though it was in the 80's most of Thanksgiving week when we had company from out of town, we couldn't take them anywhere to get wet and cool off. Everything was closed and had been since September! I get the idea that the kids are back in school but geeze what about the tourists and really we would love to be swimming and playing at the waterparks on the weekends atleast.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:07 AM

89 posts, read 353,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
You have to be careful with generalizations. I believe your husband's work may be the exception. Children are taught early how to use a computer and most schools here have computers (many with at least one computer in each classroom). I work in the automotive manufacturing business here in San Antonio, and everyone in the office use computers. All of us are very savvy with MS Windows and Office (including Word, Access and Excel). I also use AS400 and Sequel (to write queries), and an internet based shipping database. And most people in our office can type though I am probably one of the slower ones at 50 WPM. Also, don't forget all the call centers here in San Antonio. They all use computers. There is sophistication here, you just have to look beyond the first layer sometimes. BTW, my two daughters are also very proficient with computers.
Yeah...I think most people know how to use a computer at type atleast 40wpm or more...atleast in the younger group. I'm 19..20 soon...And I know all my friends and their friends can type quickly and are computer savy...I think the youth of SA is very different from the older. I mean hell when i go downtown with my gf..She even complains about the skyline....And she knows nothing about architecture....I think the youth of SA is very different from the older and help help SA become much more progressive. I myself currently work at a call center (411 directory assistance for cellphones every company besides cingular) and we have a VERY different mindset of SA and its future....

Old 02-21-2007, 01:52 AM

121 posts, read 437,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
The layout of the highways and side streets are unlike anywhere else, get a map before you get here and study it carefully, when you get here if your car is not equipped with a computerized compass get one as there will be no major land mark to identify with (example: mountains.)
I don't have a problem with my sense of direction in SA because I figured out the layout of the city which is essentially a wheel. However, the infrastructure needs major improvement. Some of the roads and freeways don't even have the divider lines showing anymore or reflectors are missing. You can't even tell if you're in your own lane sometimes. One other thing is making a left from a left turn lane. I almost went head on with someone making a left going the opposite way. When you're in a left turn lane you normally would start turning once you enter the instersection. Here the people turning left (both directions) cross one another first before turning.

Quote:
The cost of living is not as cheap as you would expect, auto insurance is higher and 60% of SA drivers don't have it for one reason or another. Home insurance is more and the property taxes are higher to feed the schools.
I agree. One thing that's not taken into consideration for some transplants are the wages are very low. I used to be a network engineer 10 years ago and if I were to still be in that profession over here my salary would literally be cut in half! One thing I do like is labor costs. I pay 40-60% of what I would pay a contractor in CA.

Quote:
Computer literacy appears to be below average for the country? My husband has been labeled a "genius" at work because he can type with out using hunt and peck and after hounding his employer for 3 months to get secure access on the company server with no response he discovered no one else has access either because they don't know how to use the computer. This also explains the general lack of sophistication you sense everywhere and plays into the simple more relaxed way of life for SA.
I agree with this as well. I noticed this when I first came to SA in '05 to purchase some properties. Most of my business acquaintances did not know how to attach forms via email or some did not even have emails. I don't know, but I do most of work remotely. Also, last week I was talking to my 12 yr old daughter about her new school. She mentioned to me that she has to help people in her computer class because a lot of the kids do not know how to use one. She also said she asked her friends their screen names for IM/chat and all but one did not know what she was talking about.

Quote:
I could go on but I am more curious about what others have experienced that might be eye opening to a new transplant.
What I have noticed is that hardly anyone landscapes their yards and everything looks old and run down. I'm not talking about old areas either. I was originally looking for a home in Stone Oak in the newer neighborhoods that are 2 years or less. To my surprise a lot of the homes in those neighhoods look like they're at least 10-20 years old. Weeds growing everywhere, dead grass and the streets are already destroyed. The tract I lived in CA looks much newer and they are 20+ years old. It just seems like no one really cares too much about their homes.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 AM

60 posts, read 221,326 times
Thumbs up My 5 yr Grandson is smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
You have to be careful with generalizations. I believe your husband's work may be the exception. Children are taught early how to use a computer and most schools here have computers (many with at least one computer in each classroom). I work in the automotive manufacturing business here in San Antonio, and everyone in the office use computers. All of us are very savvy with MS Windows and Office (including Word, Access and Excel). I also use AS400 and Sequel (to write queries), and an internet based shipping database. And most people in our office can type though I am probably one of the slower ones at 50 WPM. Also, don't forget all the call centers here in San Antonio. They all use computers. There is sophistication here, you just have to look beyond the first layer sometimes. BTW, my two daughters are also very proficient with computers.

Steel Man I agree with the generalization approach, go get them Tiger!
My grandson uses a computer at home, school, etc., of course he attents Boerne ISD. Yes, if someone want to dig deep into any area, they'll find something. Same holds true for any city. HEB did what they did, and I'm ok with, that's why you only pay a few cents more on the product. Volume vs hugh markup.
Construction= well if memory serves me right Houston & Dallas were at a point in time facing the same problems, oh yea! it's called growth? I spend 10 years in Palm Beach County/Ft. Lauderdale/Dade County (Miami), and those cities/counties have some problem areas, but overall great places to live or visit.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:44 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
Hi wCat, of course I do know that you continue to pay property taxes in other places after you pay off your house, but often at much lower rates

Old 02-21-2007, 08:13 AM

545 posts, read 2,283,894 times
Default customer service

I have to say, the comment about customer service really threw me off.

Now, I'll admit, places where high school and college age kids work generally have worse customer service because, well, they're high school and college kids.

But anywhere in town I go that an adult is serving me, I'm always greeted with a "yes sir/no sir." It took some getting used to when I first moved here because I'd never been called sir by anyone. Much different from the "hey you" city "service" I was used to up north. It's one of the reasons I hated living in Chicago so much when my wife and I moved up there for three long years.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:24 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Hi wCat, of course I do know that you continue to pay property taxes in other places after you pay off your house, but often at much lower rates
Duh....I misunderstood your post! I thought you meant that once your house was paid off then your property taxes stopped. That WOULD be nice!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:36 AM

Default computer literacy

We may be mistaken about the below average literacy thing but I am pretty sure households that own personal computers is below average. I could try to dig up some stats on this but it really isn't that important to me. Maybe it is just limited to the older generations. BTW my husband works for a BILLION dollar corporation and to experience what we did has been surprising.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
Yeah...I think most people know how to use a computer at type atleast 40wpm or more...atleast in the younger group. I'm 19..20 soon...And I know all my friends and their friends can type quickly and are computer savy...I think the youth of SA is very different from the older. I mean hell when i go downtown with my gf..She even complains about the skyline....And she knows nothing about architecture....I think the youth of SA is very different from the older and help help SA become much more progressive. I myself currently work at a call center (411 directory assistance for cellphones every company besides cingular) and we have a VERY different mindset of SA and its future....
LOL....ok...let's not pick on the sweet "old" folks! Just how "old" is OLDER?
I'm in the "pink" group (see age bracket thread) and am pretty computer savvy even though I didn't grow up playing computer games. Typing fast doesn't really equate to being computer literate.

When I was 20 and a Junior at UT I pretty much said the same thing.....that my generation was smarter and sharper and faster and progressive. This part really isn't about San Antonio....it's just a generational thing that has been going on since the beginning of time. I look back at some of the "progress" my generation has made right here in SA, and I'm saddened at the loss of some great things that were given up to make things "better". Right now, "progress" is developing massive neighborhoods across the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone which is the source of our fresh water supply. It's an ecological nightmare waiting to happen.

"Progress" is not definable in general terms.

Roadster....I'm actually glad to hear that a lot of 12 year olds in your daughter's school don't know their "screen name" or about IM/CHAT/SKYPE. That means there must be some responsible parents monitoring their children's use of their computers at home. 12 years ago, when IM/CHAT/ICQ was fairly new, I learned the hard way about the "education" my kids were getting from the computer. It didn't make them smart....it robbed their innocence. And I'm not talking about strangers or accessing adult web sites....I'm talking about the conversations going on between peers! I'll say the same thing....is this really unique to San Antonio?

I give it to the others that said wages are lower.....which used to be offset by lower cost of living.....but with all the "progress" and influx of people just in the last 8 years, the cost of living is rising steadily.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:21 AM

Default customer service

This is a topic that is hard to describe with out possibly coming off as petty or picky but basically its been like this...

I waited in line at the Post Office for 20 minutes to be told I was in the wrong line go to the other window, I waited there for 15 minutes to be told I was in the wrong line go back to the other one.

I tried to return and unopenned DVD with the Walmart price sticker on it but because I did not have the receipt I was turned away. I have shopped at Walmart for years back in WA and have never needed a receipt to return or exchange anything.

I tried to negotiate a discount at GardenRidge for a damaged item and was blatently told "we don't do that here, everything is sold as is."

I purchased a piece of furniture at Bell Furniture and waited the 4 weeks for delivery before calling to check the status. I was told "oh we have it, we'll put it on the truck tomorrow and call you back" I did not get a call back and instead relived this scenario 3 times before requesting a refund and was told "oh well you'll have to come in and talk to a manager to do that."

Customer Service is very important to me as I am not a shopper by nature and I will boycott a store for it, (example: I haven't shopped at Target for 2+ years.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio