Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I remember going to Comanche Park many times in the early-mid sixties. It's where Highland Park Little League held their annual picnic/BBQ.
My Girl Scout troop went camping in Comanche Park. Fun times, but a bit spooky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX38 View Post
Dr wWells was my doctor too remeber his office on Clark ( my mom said that he was in the old McCreless ) i took my kids too him for a while before he retired ... ( 20 years later )
Small world! Dr. Wells was our family doctor, too. We went to his office on Clark with the Highlights magazines and the nurse that would give you a lollypop after getting a shot. I remember there was an x-ray place in the same complex, too. Seems like I remember him retiring in the late 80's or early 90's, because my mom was still going to him.

Found his obituary from 2009. Sounds like he lived a great full life.

http://obit.porterloring.com/obitdis...rint&id=710657

Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Not to be picky, but the office was on S. Gevers and not Clark. I think Dr. Burton gave out Sugar Babies(not the kind you get in a box) which was candy dressed like a baby in a kind of paper thing.

The building was shaped like a horseshoe. The first office on the left was Wells, then Burton, then Owensby. The building itself is still there.

Last I heard, Dr Burton closed his practice years ago, but is still practicing parttime with on of his son who is a Doctor in Louisana.

Last edited by RGJ; 09-01-2010 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 PM
RGJ

Here's what I remember about that part of S Gevers. If you're headed south, there were houses on the corner of Greer and S Gevers, then there was Ed Arnold Plumbing, the Doctors offices, the Bamboo Room, a gas station(Sigmor maybe) on the corner of Gevers and Hiawtha. Across Hiawatha, but still on S Gevers, there was a real estate office, a nursery, then Podnuh's. Then there was a tire store(Firestone?) then the strip center which had a Handy Andy before they moved to McCreless Mall, then Goodyear, then St Margaret Mary's field, then a Driver's License office, then Fair Lumber Co. which was owned by the McCreless family. Then you eventually had McCreless Mall after that.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Default North Star Mall

For all you fellow NSM History fans. The time capsule will be dug up again on Sept 23.

50 years of memories at the mall (http://www.mysanantonio.com/life/50_years_of_memories_at_the_mall_101962688.html - broken link)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Here's what I remember about that part of S Gevers. If you're headed south, there were houses on the corner of Greer and S Gevers, then there was Ed Arnold Plumbing, the Doctors offices, the Bamboo Room, a gas station(Sigmor maybe) on the corner of Gevers and Hiawtha. Across Hiawatha, but still on S Gevers, there was a real estate office, a nursery, then Podnuh's. Then there was a tire store(Firestone?) then the strip center which had a Handy Andy before they moved to McCreless Mall, then Goodyear, then St Margaret Mary's field, then a Driver's License office, then Fair Lumber Co. which was owned by the McCreless family. Then you eventually had McCreless Mall after that.
You're right, it was S. Gevers. I remember the Bamboo Room - I think the parking lots for the Doctors offices adjoined it. I don't remember the real estate office or the nursery, but I do remember Podnuh's and the strip center, but not the lumber company. Wasn't the Goodyear on the triangular corner between Clark and Gevers? I seem to remember the drivers license office being near the NE corner of the mall parking lot. If you were going south on Gevers and passed it, then turned right, you went past the McCreless library.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Does anyone remember the antique stores that were on S. Hackberry across from the Little Red Barn?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 AM
RGJ

I remember the antique stores. There was also a little cafe in there that had the best home cooking to be found.....Can't remember the name of it

Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Does anyone remember the antique stores that were on S. Hackberry across from the Little Red Barn?
I remember the Highland Theatre in that area. I saw "Bambi" there the first time right before it closed.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:12 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I do, it seems some of the Lister family ran it or moved in when it left. The Listers ran the Auction Barn at Hackberry & Steves. They had the big auction barns at Petaluma and Pleasanton Rd in late 60's and early 70's. Jimmy Lister once ran for a city office I believe. I think one of his sons ran the antique store or moved in after they left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio